Pattern of Brain Damage Is Pervasive in Navy SEALs Who Died by Suicide

Reptile

NES Member
David Metcalf’s last act in life was an attempt to send a message — that years as a Navy SEAL had left his brain so damaged that he could barely recognize himself.

He died by suicide in his garage in North Carolina in 2019, after nearly 20 years in the Navy. But just before he died, he arranged a stack of books about brain injury by his side, and taped a note to the door that read, in part, “Gaps in memory, failing recognition, mood swings, headaches, impulsiveness, fatigue, anxiety, and paranoia were not who I was, but have become who I am. Each is worsening.”

Then he shot himself in the heart, preserving his brain to be analyzed by a state-of-the-art Defense Department laboratory in Maryland.

The lab found an unusual pattern of damage seen only in people exposed repeatedly to blast waves.

The vast majority of blast exposure for Navy SEALs comes from firing their own weapons, not from enemy action. The damage pattern suggested that years of training intended to make SEALs exceptional was leaving some barely able to function.

But the message Lieutenant Metcalf sent never got through to the Navy. No one at the lab told the SEAL leadership what the analysis had found, and the leadership never asked.

It was not the first time, or the last. At least a dozen Navy SEALs have died by suicide in the last 10 years, either while in the military or shortly after leaving. A grass-roots effort by grieving families delivered eight of their brains to the lab, an investigation by The New York Times has found. And after careful analysis, researchers discovered blast damage in every single one.

Continues...

It could also be a message to us, the blast wave from the guy next to us, because of the use of muzzle breaks, is tough.
Its probably the explosions.

Obviously everyone is different tho... this dude may have been more succeptable to it from lower calibers.

But also who knows much about tbi's...we certainly don't

They've found dead college football players with cte.

And the types of guys that join these special units probably are doing f***ing retarded/crazy shit as children and have cte going into the navy

I dont mean it disparegingly...just that those dudes are usually great athletes who were prone to take more risks... just the type of stuff that leads you to get your brain scrambled

It could also be a message to us, the blast wave from the guy next to us, because of the use of muzzle breaks, is tough.
One reason why I've never fired my .50bmg rifle that has a single tank brake with anyone standing to either side. It directs the blast 90 degrees to both sides. I always announce, "fire in the hole".
Standing behind, it's not bad at all.

Based on SEAL brain studies, it suggests that it's not CTE. It's something new "called interface astroglial scarring" that was found in 6 of the 8 SEAL brains studied.

Remember: almost every job in the military is loud. Even jobs that don't require you to work with loud stuff as a direct function of the MOS, have occasional but very intense noise exposure.

I have no doubt being a SEAL is likely to result in concussion damage, but I'm also mindful that most of the people I know who went into the SEALs were long-term athletes, often football or hockey players. So who knows what kind of damage they had even before they started BUDs?

Remember: almost every job in the military is loud. Even jobs that don't require you to work with loud stuff as a direct function of the MOS, have occasional but very intense noise exposure.

I have no doubt being a SEAL is likely to result in concussion damage, but I'm also mindful that most of the people I know who went into the SEALs were long-term athletes, often football or hockey players. So who knows what kind of damage they had even before they started BUDs?
I wonder what physiological testing was done "pre admission" to all those people you know who went into the SEALS?

I was the PSO for an AT-4 shoot and stood by for 15 rocket launches.

Had a terrible headache after that and thankfully my Plt Cmdr let me take a rest.

I also don't recall ever performing a PLF without seeing stars.

My most recent VA check was negative for TBI.

Perhaps there's something else in play besides firing small arms? Any evidence of this showing up in match competitors, in particular the large caliber competitors? Granted, dinging plates and punching holes in paper isn't that stressful of a scenario LOL but the proximity of others (often w/ brakes) combined with years in the saddle and astronomical round counts for some should be causing similar issues if it's the small arms.

I wonder what physiological testing was done "pre admission" to all those people you know who went into the SEALS?
You don't think there's a physical required before they let you report to BUDs?

There was for Airborne school, and BUDs is far more rigorous.

I call bull on the article's claim that firing a rifle causes brain damage! Next thing you'll see is CNN come out with "Assault Weapons cause brain damage!"
Here's why I think the claim is utter bull:
1) Jumping to conclusions without any foundation. The author goes from "damage seen ... in people exposed ... to blast waves" to "blast exposure ...comes from firing ... weapons." Blast waves could come from grenades or flash bangers. Blast waves could come from ordnance explosions(think CAS). Yet, the author seems to assume that blast waves come from Seal's own weapons.
2) Conflating other issues. The author suggests that "at least a dozen ... died by suicide ... in the past 10 years," with 8 of those having brain damage. Again, this article assumes the cause and fails to include other factors(ie. PTSD).
3) Fixing the sample size to skew analysis. There are other special services units, but only Navy seals experience "blast waves"? What about the artillery? Artillerymen experience a tremendous amount of concussive blasts. How come they don't experience that problem
4) Navy Seals do not use muzzle breaks. Competitive shooters do. Real soldiers do not.

Do you see where I'm getting at? This article has an agenda, and the author subverts one of the most critical issues we have today with our veterans, soldier suicides, to attempt to paint a picture that would be used by other outlets to go after Americans and 2A.

It seems that the Pentagon would rather label "it must be PTSD" or try to cover up. Burn pits are a perfect example of the government avoiding the issue until forced to admit it. They MUST do better for our veterans. Alas, current administration places illegals in luxury hotels while veterans go homeless...

I call bull on the article's claim that firing a rifle causes brain damage! Next thing you'll see is CNN come out with "Assault Weapons cause brain damage!"
1) Jumping to conclusions without any foundation. The author goes from "damage seen ... in people exposed ... to blast waves" to "blast exposure ...comes from firing ... weapons." Blast waves could come from grenades or flash bangers. Blast waves could come from ordnance explosions(think CAS). Yet, the author seems to assume that blast waves come from Seal's own weapons.
2) Conflating other issues. The author suggests that "at least a dozen ... died by suicide ... in the past 10 years," with 8 of those having brain damage. Again, this article assumes the cause and fails to include other factors(ie. PTSD).
3) Fixing the sample size to skew analysis. There are other special services units, but only Navy seals experience "blast waves"? What about the artillery? Artillerymen experience a tremendous amount of concussive blasts. How come they don't experience that problem
4) Navy Seals do not use muzzle breaks. Competitive shooters do. Real soldiers do not.

Do you see where I'm getting at? This article has an agenda, and the author subverts one of the most critical issues we have today with our veterans, soldier suicides, to attempt to paint a picture that would be used by other outlets to go after Americans and 2A.

It seems that the Pentagon would rather label "it must be PTSD" or try to cover up. Burn pits are a perfect example of the government avoiding the issue until forced to admit it. They MUST do better for our veterans. Alas, current administration places illegals in luxury hotels while veterans go homeless...
In order

1.. rifles can cause cte...a 300 win mag will generate 30-40 lbs of force going back into your shoulder... do that enough itll mess up your brain. Do i think 556 can do it... no but go above 300 win and yes i do

2. Yep this is a crap article and it ignores the propensity of these dudes to be stud athletes in contact sports prior to service and... just a general ignorance of dudes who would sign up for the seals in their free time. I.e more contact sports...combat sports...rock climbing...basically when you're a 23 year old navy seal you think you're king f***ing kong and these dudes probably act that way so there are potentially thousands of variables

3. They absolutely use breaks...if something shoots quieter and flatter why would they not? Sure you may not see a tanker brake lol but like the pws ones... why not

4. There was a study done that showed those dudes got scrambled bad.. now i admit i took that one at face value because it made more sense to me then this... so who knows if it was a bs piece or not

1.. rifles can cause cte...a 300 win mag will generate 30-40 lbs of force going back into your shoulder... do that enough itll mess up your brain. Do i think 556 can do it... no but go above 300 win and yes i do
I don't think 300WM is used a lot by all members of Seal teams. Individual members(i.e., snipers), yes, not the majority. In other words, if the seals with brain damage were all sniper team members, then it would have been very obvious.

The article's subject, David Metcalf, was a SEAL sniper and a SEAL martial arts instructor. Of the two, martial arts have a higher risk of brain injury. You are right, though: people who join SEALS are "stud athletes" and far more rambunctious than the average person.

I don't think 300WM is used a lot by all members of Seal teams. Individual members(i.e., snipers), yes, not the majority. In other words, if the seals with brain damage were all sniper team members, then it would have been very obvious.

The article's subject, David Metcalf, was a SEAL sniper and a SEAL martial arts instructor. Of the two, martial arts have a higher risk of brain injury. You are right, though: people who join SEALS are "stud athletes" and far more rambunctious than the average person.
I agree there there too.. 300 win and up is not something they are ripping cases of a day off

The only way i could even see 556 jacking you up is if you put your head right next to the old fn scar brake... those thumped hard out the side lol

But this seems like some dude is getting his panties in a twist cuz guns

Here is an article on the subject:​

A Secret War, Strange New Wounds, and Silence From the Pentagon - Artillery Units Have Brain Damage and PTSD​

You don't think there's a physical required before they let you report to BUDs?

There was for Airborne school, and BUDs is far more rigorous.
No that's not what I mean, I know there are in depth physical exams and demanding physical requirements, I wonder how far those physicals go.....do they included a brain scan?

I'm SO glad MA keeps us safe by outlawing suppressors and mandating muzzle brakes :rolleyes:. Even if it doesn't cause any health problems it's annoying AF.

In order

2. Yep this is a crap article and it ignores the propensity of these dudes to be stud athletes in contact sports prior to service and... just a general ignorance of dudes who would sign up for the seals in their free time. I.e more contact sports...combat sports...rock climbing...basically when you're a 23 year old navy seal you think you're king f***ing kong and these dudes probably act that way so there are potentially thousands of variables

3. They absolutely use breaks...if something shoots quieter and flatter why would they not? Sure you may not see a tanker brake lol but like the pws ones... why not

4. There was a study done that showed those dudes got scrambled bad.. now i admit i took that one at face value because it made more sense to me then this... so who knows if it was a bs piece or not

Muzzle brakes do not make rifles shoot quieter or flatter, they actually make the gun louder, their purpose is to reduce recoil. Muzzle brakes may look cool but having one on something with the recoil of a 223/5.56 doesn't really make sense.

Back
Top Bottom