• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pennsylvania NR license

I got mine in Berks County, at the Reading airport substation. $20.00, and took 10 minutes. Some counties have the application on line as a fillable PDF. Fill it out, print it, bring it with you. They were more interested in seeing my DL than my LTC.

They print out the license right there and hand it to you.

Most counties will not mail them out.

Some will mail out renewals as they're busy, but new licenses tend to be printed on the spot. Washington County mailed my grandfather's renewal because apparently they were too busy with all the rich people bitching about something or other when he went in to renew.

Jefferson County was more interested in my DL as well, and had difficulty with the fact that MA does not issue a new driver's license for change of address. I had to tell multiple people that the current address was on the back of the license.

Imagine what a cluster it would be if MA did issue a new license for an address change. It would likely cost as much as a license renewal.

The sheriff's have some discretion in how they issue licenses, but not IF they issue licenses. Which is why they can decide to issue licenses only to county residents. There is no such thing as a "non resident" license in PA. It's the same process no matter where you live.

There is a thread here, I think in the gun law forum, that has a listing of which counties do and which don't issue licenses no non county residents. I recall that Dauphine County doesn't, nor do any of them along the NJ state line. I don't think Allegheny does either.

It pays to go to the county sheriff website and look. I checked a bunch of them before I went and they all stated whether or not they did.

It is by far the fastest and easiest of all of the states I've seen so far. AL is almost as good for residents.

Some will mail out renewals as they're busy, but new licenses tend to be printed on the spot. Washington County mailed my grandfather's renewal because apparently they were too busy with all the rich people bitching about something or other when he went in to renew.

Jefferson County was more interested in my DL as well, and had difficulty with the fact that MA does not issue a new driver's license for change of address. I had to tell multiple people that the current address was on the back of the license.

There is a thread here, I think in the gun law forum, that has a listing of which counties do and which don't issue licenses no non county residents. I recall that Dauphine County doesn't, nor do any of them along the NJ state line. I don't think Allegheny does either.

Allegheny does not, nor does Washington. I think Butler and Westmoreland may, but I don't recall. No idea about Greene, but I suspect they would as it's full of West Virginia-style good 'ol boys right down to the accent.

So I stopped by the Sheriff's office today.

The Sheriff was not in, but his deputy told me that Massachusetts is a "non-starter" because "you don't accept us, we ain't gonna accept you". I pointed out the website. He said they do issue them, just to states with reciprocity only.

I mentioned I would be spending 1 to 3 weeks a month in Uniontown, to which he replied it may change things just a bit, he would email me when he had an answer.

I thanked him for his time, and headed to the airport.

Time will tell.

Find a different county.

The Sheriff was not in, but his deputy told me that Massachusetts is a "non-starter" because "you don't accept us, we ain't gonna accept you". I pointed out the website. He said they do issue them, just to states with reciprocity only.

I mentioned I would be spending 1 to 3 weeks a month in Uniontown, to which he replied it may change things just a bit, he would email me when he had an answer.

Time will tell.

Find a different county.

That is my plan, once I dig in a little as to counties close to my travels.

New company's policy is "don't show it to anyone who doesn't need to see it, don't pull it unless you intend to use it, if you need to use it, pull your head together and don't stop until the threat is ended."

For anyone here that was carrying in PA on a NH Non-resident P&R License that option is officially going away. PA will only honor RESIDENT permits from any state they honor. PA had stopped this with FL and UT quite a while back, but this now applies to all states.

Pennsylvania recognizes concealed carry licenses issued by states without applying for a separate Pennsylvania concealed carry license – if the concealed carry license holder is (1) a resident of that state and (2) 21 years of age or older.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Reciprocity-Summary.pdf

For anyone here that was carrying in PA on a NH Non-resident P&R License that option is officially going away. PA will only honor RESIDENT permits from any state they honor.

That was never really an option anyways, given that the PA AG's office kept vacillating about the validity of nonres NH P/R down there. Most smart people just started assuming that the state would not accept it and getting PA local permit instead.

-Mike

I think my non-resident license took 40min to get and they apologized for the long wait.

Actually, it's even simpler if you do it right.

You better call the county sheriff's office where you plan to apply for one to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Not all counties will issue a permit to a non-resident, so do your research and call them first. Many here get theirs from Lackawanna County. Mine is from Jefferson County--the county courthouse is right off of I-80 in Brookville. My parents live south of Pittsburgh, and I prefer taking I-80 to I-79 to get there.

It's an in-person process, so you have to actually go to the sheriff's office and apply, get your picture taken, and they will issue the license on the spot. It cost $20, and depending on how busy the Sheriff's office is it can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 2-ish hours.

When I got mine, I stopped off while they were having their office Christmas party. I spent about 10 minutes filling out the paperwork and another 5 minutes getting photographed and waiting on Harrisburg to issue a license number. The nice lady who called it in even apologized for how long it was taking them to come back with the number. She was flabbergasted to find out it took 12 weeks to get my MA license.

Got mine in Armstrong County (Kittanning) about 30 miles south of Brookville on the way to Pittsburgh. Experience was the same. In/out in 45 minutes license in hand, with him apologizing Harrisburg took so long on the check.
These are areas that 1st two days of buck season is a holiday.
ETA, hope nothing changed, due for renewal this summer.

Crap! I just noticed my CCW app doesn't show me being legal in PA anymore. My mom lives in Lancaster and I sometimes have to go to the Pittsburgh area. I guess I go unarmed next time.

Crap! I just noticed my CCW app doesn't show me being legal in PA anymore. My mom lives in Lancaster and I sometimes have to go to the Pittsburgh area. I guess I go unarmed next time.

Why go unarmed? If you have to go to Lancaster or Pittsburgh, just stop at one of the places people have pointed out here and pick up a PA permit.

I think my non-resident license took 40min to get and they apologized for the long wait.

They always apologize for the wait, even when there isn't one. They're kind of like Canadians in that aspect.

A week ago Friday, I dropped my stuff off with the Westmoreland county sheriff's office.

Paid my $20
Had a photocopy of my DL and LTC (Both sides)
Short letter of introduction to the Sheriff (required by his office)
Wife told me this morning (well, Morning for me, am in China at the moment) that my permit came in the mail Friday.

Reason for issuance, Self Defense.

Quick and painless.

PA's issue with carry law and reciprocity is who is in power in the AG's office. Dems have generally limited carry reciprocity while the repubs have allowed it. With the current AG (dem Josh Shapiro) it looks as though a number of reciprocity agreements are being terminated as of 4/2018. PA needs to wake up and kick the dems out of office.

PA's issue with carry law and reciprocity is who is in power in the AG's office. Dems have generally limited carry reciprocity while the repubs have allowed it. With the current AG (dem Josh Shapiro) it looks as though a number of reciprocity agreements are being terminated as of 4/2018. PA needs to wake up and kick the dems out of office.

Well, they did put the last Dem AG in prison. So expect them to be a little more discreet with their corruption for awhile.

Actually, it's even simpler if you do it right.

You better call the county sheriff's office where you plan to apply for one to make sure that they issue non-resident permits. Not all counties will issue a permit to a non-resident, so do your research and call them first. Many here get theirs from Lackawanna County. Mine is from Jefferson County--the county courthouse is right off of I-80 in Brookville. My parents live south of Pittsburgh, and I prefer taking I-80 to I-79 to get there.

It's an in-person process, so you have to actually go to the sheriff's office and apply, get your picture taken, and they will issue the license on the spot. It cost $20, and depending on how busy the Sheriff's office is it can take anywhere between 15 minutes and 2-ish hours.

When I got mine, I stopped off while they were having their office Christmas party. I spent about 10 minutes filling out the paperwork and another 5 minutes getting photographed and waiting on Harrisburg to issue a license number. The nice lady who called it in even apologized for how long it was taking them to come back with the number. She was flabbergasted to find out it took 12 weeks to get my MA license.

My wife and I stopped in Jefferson County yesterday morning. In and out in less than an hour. The only reason it took THAT long was because we were towing a trailer and had to find a large enough parking space on the street behind the court house. Well, the lengthy time was also due to the very nice people that work in the office and the very nice deputy that worked at the front security checkpoint. We spent most of the time in friendly conversation!! Actual paperwork, approval and license in hand accounted for only half the time.

I used amm5061's post above during my initial research on where to stop while travelling to Ohio. Jefferson County was only 45 minutes from our hotel stop and it is right off I-80. If you are not towing a trailer, parking is abundant at the front of the court house. If you have a trailer, the residential street behind the court house makes it easy.

You could get a NH out of state license. It has reciprocity with PA so you can carry in PA with it. It also removes some goofy exceptions to NH's constitutional carry law. If I recall, you can't carry on a snowmobile or ATV in NH without a NH license.
I think PA stopped accepting NR licenses because of a concern PA residents were bypassing state control by getting FL licenses. Several people with FL licenses were arrested for carrying while black in Philly and eventually got modest financial settlements

I think PA stopped accepting NR licenses because of a concern PA residents were bypassing state control by getting FL licenses. Several people with FL licenses were arrested for carrying while black in Philly and eventually got modest financial settlements

I thought it was just a NH issue, but yeah, looks like the AG went full retard and stopped recognizing all NR licenses on the reciprocity list. I hope Georgia doesn't do the same, since I use my PA permit for carry down there.

This was absolutely the reason. Philadelphia had some additional requirements to the process of getting an LTC. The PA supreme court ruled these additional requirements illegal and they have now been removed. Some people felt it was easier just to get the FL permit. Philadelphia now has the same process as the rest of the state, just slower and more lines.

Just renewed last week in Armstrong County. Kittanning is an hour from the Pittsburgh Airport if you fly in. Being from the area, I took a bike trip and visited old friends and family.
They only process them on Mon/Wed/Fri. Was out of there in what seemed like only 20 minutes or so. Their website states must be a county resident to apply, but that is more for PA residents who have to apply in their home county.

No hassles, they just do their job and issue. Just wanted to see driver license and MA firearm license.
Gave them a photocopy of my MA drivers license, and firearm license, as well as my other out of state licenses just in case they cared.
Also a copy of my vehicle reg with current address, since I too have an old driver license.

If you're a Justified fan, in the 1st episode they filmed a scene driving across the bridge up to the courthouse, and on the 2nd floor balcony of it.
Kittanning_fromhill.jpg

Time will tell.

You at the wrong SO, don't bother.

I thought it was just a NH issue, but yeah, looks like the AG went full retard and stopped recognizing all NR licenses on the reciprocity list. I hope Georgia doesn't do the same, since I use my PA permit for carry down there.

Nope. This whole thing started with FL.

I got mine in Berks County, at the Reading airport substation. $20.00, and took 10 minutes. Some counties have the application on line as a fillable PDF. Fill it out, print it, bring it with you. They were more interested in seeing my DL than my LTC.

They print out the license right there and hand it to you.

Most counties will not mail them out.
That is what I did.

Plan your trip to stop there.

"Berks County, at the Reading airport substation"

EDIT:

Looks like the Airport Substation will be closed for a while:

Locations to Obtain Firearms{550CBCAE-0171-46A5-86E3-2F1E0DDC0470}

Go to another location.

Last edited:
This was absolutely the reason. Philadelphia had some additional requirements to the process of getting an LTC. The PA supreme court ruled these additional requirements illegal and they have now been removed. Some people felt it was easier just to get the FL permit. Philadelphia now has the same process as the rest of the state, just slower and more lines.

God that shithole city ruins everything in PA. I wish we could just give it to New Jersey since it so desperately wants to be just like that shithole state.

You at the wrong SO, don't bother.

^ This. Call ahead, they'll tell you if they issue to non-residents or if they're a bunch of f***ing idiots. Pick a different county, this one's clearly defective. There's no point in issuing a license to a resident of a state that PA has reciprocity with. That's what the f***ing reciprocity is for.

Anyone have any experience dealing with Lebanon County? A search of their website indicates they’ll issue to non residents, but figured I’d ask.

Back
Top Bottom