People who jump out of perfectly good airplanes, question RE poser.

I have an acquaintance who has a lot of stories about his time in the Air Force. One of which was when he was going through Jump School apparently Marines were the riggers, and both his main and reserve chute failed, but fortunately he was able to get his emergency chute open. As far as I know, there are only two chutes. Also, he says this was not a static jump but on the final one you deploy a personal ram air parachute. Am I an a**h*** or is he FOS.

Mike

You may be crazy Mike, but he IS FOS! you have a Main and a Reserve parachute, if both of those fail, well, as the cadence goes "I'll be on the ground long before you". It always amazes me the stories people feel the need to tell especially if they are FOS, I am a Paratrooper C/2/503 173rd ABN and still some folk wish to tell me stories about something they know to be untrue especially about military service, the best one was a some guy telling me about jumping out of the 35 ft tower onto broken glass for jump school.

I am retired Air Force and a graduate of the Airborne School at Ft Benning (was a Combat Controller). I also live just down the road from you if you ever need to give that guy a grilling...

Can I come too.......I would love to ask him a few questions![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Emergency chute........now that is one I haven't heard.

I already know he has never jumped out of a plane.......[smile]

You may be crazy Mike, but he IS FOS! you have a Main and a Reserve parachute, if both of those fail, well, as the cadence goes "I'll be on the ground long before you". It always amazes me the stories people feel the need to tell especially if they are FOS, I am a Paratrooper C/2/503 173rd ABN and still some folk wish to tell me stories about something they know to be untrue especially about military service, the best one was a some guy telling me about jumping out of the 35 ft tower onto broken glass for jump school.

Hey man, how you doing?

BTW, I was C/3/503[wink].....does the 503 have a 3rd Batt yet?

The emergency chute is what the aircrew grabs when they no longer feel that they can land an airplane safely.

Ever hear of the Caterpillar Club?

http://www.merkki.com/caterpillarclub.htm

Can I come too.......I would love to ask him a few questions![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Emergency chute........now that is one I haven't heard.

I already know he has never jumped out of a plane.......[smile]

My dad, rest his soul, was in the 82nd Airborne in Korea. He always crapped on the bullshit they would show in war movies about combat jumps. One thing he always told me was they always packed their own chutes. I don't know if that has changed much. People used to ask him why he jumped and he always said the same thing, that he was afraid of airplanes so he jumped out![laugh]
He also said in real combat jumps the proximity to the ground didn't allow for all the floating around you see in the movies. He said after that chute opened you were on the ground fairly quickly. Damn, I miss him. He died almost four years ago, seems like yesterday.

Don't all lawn darts carry one of these emergency chutes?

MaryPoppins1.jpg

Doing good Bro! been busy with the kid and wifey. 3rd & 4th BN are not stood up.....yet, the 1st came back from korea and are in europe....one big happy family.

When I went through Jump School in '84, all five qualifying jmps were static line jumps. I doubt that has changed. sounds like he may be mis-remembering things a bit.

Ditto on his being FOS.

We've been packing for our move, and all sorts of stuff has fallen out of the cracks. I found my stick roster from class 35-86. I was the stick leader, which meant an automatic trip to the gig pit every morning.

There's nothing like starting a very hot sweaty Georgia day with sawdust in every crack and crevice...

When I went through Jump School in '84, all five qualifying jmps were static line jumps.

Still were in summer '96; no doubt they still are. Faulty memory...

I remember when they went to the MIRPS from the old reserve 'chutes circa 1998; I was very happy, since the older way of deploying the reserve for a partial malfunction always sounded a little bit sketchy to me. As I recall, the procedure involved popping the reserve, hauling it up to your shoulder, and then flinging it out and down while crossing your fingers, hoping it would catch air... all from 850 AGL...

...glad I never had a partial malfunction before '98.

I have an acquaintance who has a lot of stories about his time in the Air Force. One of which was when he was going through Jump School apparently Marines were the riggers, and both his main and reserve chute failed, but fortunately he was able to get his emergency chute open. As far as I know, there are only two chutes. Also, he says this was not a static jump but on the final one you deploy a personal ram air parachute. Am I an a**h*** or is he FOS.

Mike

Mike,

Do you know what was his AFSC was that got him into jump school? Does he actually have his jump wings?

You could get into free fall school through the AF in the 80's but it sounds like your friend's story is FOS.

Matt

ETA: For clarity. I ask about his Air Force Specialty Code because fivepak uses the Army MOS so I don't want your friend to try to confuse you with you not understanding.[wink]

Last edited:
Then way is it always pronounced eleven "B" ten, twenty, or thirty with special qualification identification following?

We say skill level ten, twenty, thirty etc, especially when talking about maintenance, but the actually coding when looking at a soldier's MOS is an O (Oscar) not a numeral 0 (zero). And in the regs and manuals it will say Skill Level 1, 2, 3, etc. I've seen the numeral 0 handjammed into rosters, but that's usally because the person making the roster is unaware of the correct way.

For enlisted the first 3 characters are the MOS (11B), 4th character is the skill level 1-5 (11B1), 5th character is the Skill qualification identifier (11B1P). 6-7 are an ASI and 8-9 is for foreign language qualification.

Last edited:
Ft Benning Jump School 1984 - Got pulled out of line first jump, Jumpmaster says "We think you're too light to pull the chute. If that happens you'll be dragging along the plane in flight. If we can't pull you back in we'll cut the rip cord and you can use the emergency chute" . ok cool thanks for that

Marines were the riggers? Who was the jump master, a Coast Guard Master Chief? Maybe he jumped out of a LST.

- - - Updated - - -

Marines were the riggers? Who was the jump master, a Coast Guard Master Chief? Maybe he jumped out of a LST.

- - - Updated - - -

We say skill level ten, twenty, thirty etc, especially when talking about maintenance, but the actually coding when looking at a soldier's MOS is an O (Oscar) not a numeral 0 (zero). And in the regs and manuals it will say Skill Level 1, 2, 3, etc. I've seen the numeral 0 handjammed into rosters, but that's usally because the person making the roster is unaware of the correct way.

For enlisted the first 3 characters are the MOS (11B), 4th character is the skill level 1-5 (11B1), 5th character is the Skill qualification identifier (11B1P). 6-7 are an ASI and 8-9 is for foreign language qualification.

I guess you're never too old to learn something. Thanks.

Ft Benning Jump School 1984 - Got pulled out of line first jump, Jumpmaster says "We think you're too light to pull the chute. If that happens you'll be dragging along the plane in flight. If we can't pull you back in we'll cut the rip cord and you can use the emergency chute" . ok cool thanks for that

It's called a "Static Line." If you become a towed jumper, they will cut the Static Line if you are concious, then you will pull the Rip Cord on your Reserve Chute.

And I think the Black Hat/Jumpmaster was just f'ing with you for a few laughs![rofl]

...never heard of C5s being used for dropping humans...

Naturally, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Anyone?

In any case, I'd say the weight of the evidence is FIRMLY against this guy. FOS.

Back
Top Bottom