People who jump out of perfectly good airplanes, question RE poser.

Ft Benning Jump School 1984 - Got pulled out of line first jump, Jumpmaster says "We think you're too light to pull the chute. If that happens you'll be dragging along the plane in flight. If we can't pull you back in we'll cut the rip cord and you can use the emergency chute" . ok cool thanks for that

http://www.machovideo.com/video/Parachute_hang_up_18872/

178 jumps, and this shite never happened to me. Doesn't look like fun anyway, right?

...never heard of C5s being used for dropping humans...

Naturally, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Anyone?

In any case, I'd say the weight of the evidence is FIRMLY against this guy. FOS.

I remember that they did do a "test" way back when. The only thing I could find on an early morning search was:

In 1984, a re-winged C-5A flew at a then world record gross weight of 920,836 pounds (417,684kg) after being air refueled. Less than five years later, a C-5B set a new airdrop record of 190,493 (86,406kg) pounds. The drop, consisting of four 42,000 pound (19,051kg) Sheridan tanks and 73 combat-ready troops, occurred over Fort Bragg, North Carolina on 7 June 1989. The C-5 Galaxy also holds the "unofficial" world record for the heaviest drop over a single zone ... two 60,000 pound (27,216kg) platforms.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c5.asp

It is not a platform which would normally be considered for such a mission, especially with the C-17 available, but it can be done.

I was trying to figure out what kind of aircraft they were jumping from. The little I could see of the sides. it was definitely not a C-130, it seemed to be a fairly slow-flying machine. Helicopter maybe? If you have never tail-gated something like a C-7 or a helo, you have no idea what a long, drawn-out, soft opening shock is.

The uniform looks like British Army.

I was thinking Germans.

They use alot of our old gear. I jumped with them from Sea Stallion type copter using their chutes. One of our guys had a failure and landed hard with his reserve. I was on the ground watching him land.

We all went running over to him and he's holding his leg. First thing he says is "whose got a ****ing cigarette?!" The German CO presented him with the rip handle from his reserve. He was not too amused as I recall.

I was thinking Germans.

Its definatly not flecktarn:
images

British:
lancashiredummy.jpg

Ditto on his being FOS.

We've been packing for our move, and all sorts of stuff has fallen out of the cracks. I found my stick roster from class 35-86. I was the stick leader, which meant an automatic trip to the gig pit every morning.

There's nothing like starting a very hot sweaty Georgia day with sawdust in every crack and crevice...

I went a couple years ago and all the sawdust pits are gone, filled with small pebbles now, I can imagine the sawdust was way worse, lol. And +1 on that guy being FOS. Was in the second class to dummy test the new T11, which was issued with ankle braces hahaha. I believe they discontinued them a short while later.

Last edited:
+1, he is an idiot. The Air Force doesn't have a jump school, and it isn't run by Marines. Jumps are done with a static line unless you get into free-fall school, usually reserved for SO types. If your main chute doesn't open, and your reserve doesn't open, your out of chutes. As far as I know, every branch still sends everyone to army jump school if they are getting jump trained. He is a **** stick...

He is FOS. Big time.

(added): Ask him where he went to jump school.

Marines were the riggers?

I was on a working party in the Rigger's Shed in '91 and didn't see any Marines.

We did have a Marine Black Hat.

It's called a "Static Line." If you become a towed jumper, they will cut the Static Line if you are concious, then you will pull the Rip Cord on your Reserve Chute.

During my tower week, a C-130 flew by in the distance with a towed jumper. We didn't get to see them cut him loose, but it certainly got everyone's attention!

Def FOS.
your main is Static line deployed(You do nothing but Exit the acft,maintain a tight body position, and Count to 4.) If you must activate your reserve, you pull the (Rip cord Grip). For the T-10 set up, which includes the MC1-1 (steerable canopy) That is all you have... you have the rest of your life to deploy your reserve if it comes down to that....

Ft Benning Jump School 1984 - Got pulled out of line first jump, Jumpmaster says "We think you're too light to pull the chute. If that happens you'll be dragging along the plane in flight. If we can't pull you back in we'll cut the rip cord and you can use the emergency chute" . ok cool thanks for that

when i was a young lad at ft benning, the soldier in front of me got dragged by his static line and they stopped me at the last second from jumping out into him.

They all just jerked on his static line about 5 or 6 times and he popped off and his chute deployed without further incident.

I thought it was pretty cool, because i then got to stand in the door while we circled fort benning to take nother run over the drop zone.

Doubling up on your old post since someone else already quoted it...

It was 1986 for me, and we had a little female USAF captain in my class. Tiny little thing, cute as a bug, maybe 5'1" and 95 pounds.

She was the first stick leader, meaning first one out of the plane. On all five jumps, the entire drop would be on the ground, chutes packed, and heading off the drop zone while she was still floating around up there.

We had a guy at Fort Campbell in summer of 67 had the same thing. He was the last one out, and some weird thermal. just sent him back up...

He was over 7 miles off the drop zone before he finally landed.

Abd that was just an old T-10.......none of this newfangled stuff.....

I was going to post my standard "air assault is superior to airborne" line, but truth be told I tried many times to get to jump school, but I was denied every time I tried. One of the real disappointments of my military career that I never got to jump.

Sure, you can go jump out of a civilian plane and pay them for the privilege, but it's not the same - doing something with the military is always more thrilling because they usually up the dangers of dying by about 1000 times.

Sure, you can go jump out of a civilian plane and pay them for the privilege, but it's not the same - doing something with the military is always more thrilling because they usually up the dangers of dying by about 1000 times.

Don't feel too bad. I found that after 10 or 12 jumps the whole routine got very boring for me. Manifest call, rigging of rucks, jumpmaster brief, PLF refreshers, cattle truck to Green Ramp, draw chutes, rig, JMPI, wait around for hours, waddle to the bird, uncomfortable plane ride, jump sequence... it got very old, very fast. The jump itself never lasted very long, and I was always glad to be done with the whole mess. I got to smile about it for about five seconds before I had to prepare to land.

Yes, it's very cool to be a paratrooper. But you know the military can leach the joy out of any cool thing after you do it a few dozen times. I've got no doubt it would have gotten very exciting again if the DZ was hot, though.

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad. I found that after 10 or 12 jumps the whole routine got very boring for me. Manifest call, rigging of rucks, jumpmaster brief, PLF refreshers, cattle truck to Green Ramp, draw chutes, rig, JMPI, wait around for hours, waddle to the bird, uncomfortable plane ride, jump sequence... it got very old, very fast. The jump itself never lasted very long, and I was always glad to be done with the whole mess. I got to smile about it for about five seconds before I had to prepare to land.

Yes, it's very cool to be a paratrooper. But you know the military can leach the joy out of any cool thing after you do it a few dozen times. I've got no doubt it would have gotten very exciting again if the LZ was hot, though.

Touche. I never thought shooting thousands of rounds off could be so miserable, and that I'd get a sick feeling in my stomach when informed they'd ordered 100k+ rounds for a range. Fun-sucking should probably be the understatement of the year.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Funny how the military takes activities that folks would pay lots of money to do and takes the fun out of them..Then you get out ...and wish you had access to all the free stuff again: ammo, guns , parachutes etc.
I joined an organization called Liberty Jump Team. we wear WWII kit, and jump at airshows.
My Avitar photo is from Geneseo NY Airshow last year. I was jumping an SF-10 steerable.

Last edited:
He is totally full of shit, they are all static jumps, some with combat gear some Hollywood. 5 jumps to graduate, we had 3 day and 2 night, unsure now of how many were combat and how many were Hollywood, I went through in 02. What did he do in the AF anyways, the only guys from that branch I saw were PJ's back then, so short of that he would have no reason to get to Airborne school. At 1,500 ft if he had a delay in opening his main, then the reserve failed, by then he would be just off of the ground mentally going through his life in preparation to burn in to the ground hot.

I have an acquaintance who has a lot of stories about his time in the Air Force. One of which was when he was going through Jump School apparently Marines were the riggers, and both his main and reserve chute failed, but fortunately he was able to get his emergency chute open. As far as I know, there are only two chutes. Also, he says this was not a static jump but on the final one you deploy a personal ram air parachute. Am I an a**h*** or is he FOS.

Mike

It did get old fast didn't it, Airborne school was excitement and all that fun stuff, then you realize you are going to be hanging from wires and running a big boy zip line with your balls crushed in a harness for 2 weeks. Then once you get to an airborne unit the amount of jumping you do, at some units, makes it lose all its luster and fun really quickly. Still would never be a leg though!

Yes, it's very cool to be a paratrooper. But you know the military can leach the joy out of any cool thing after you do it a few dozen times. I've got no doubt it would have gotten very exciting again if the DZ was hot, though.

Hey, Skysoldier, don't forget what the Black Hats told you. If your canopy doesn't separate from the static line after you exit the aircraft, you had to to put your hands on your helmet so the jumpmaster would know you were still conscious then he would cut the static line so you could deploy your reserve. If that ever happened to me I always figured the guys in the stick behind me would either kill me as they went by or knock me free. I just hoped I wouldn't panic and deploy my reserve BEFORE either being cut loose or activating the disconnectors and cutting away.

When I went through Ft. Benning in 1970 I did hear stories about chutes being sabotaged by using baling wire instead of break cord between the end of the static line and the apex of the canopy but I'm sure those incidents dated back to WWII. The riggers always packed great chutes. They were true professionals. We trusted them with our lives!

Last edited:
One line I remember from jump school:

"...and this is your reserve 'chute, if your main canopy fails to deploy, you have the rest of your Airborne life to deploy your reserve"

-chris

Back
Top Bottom