piston kits

Your just mad cause they did re-invent the wheel, and they did a damn good job!!!

Yes, creating solutions to problems that don't exist is admirable. Welcome to the new america.

Want a piston gun buy a piston gun, (or build it that way- from the ground up!) don't buy a bunch of junk in a can that purports to make your AR a piston gun.

Anyone that tried to sell me an AR with one of those kits in it, I would tell them I wouldn't give them 50 cents for their gun, or I'd take off the upper and tell them we were only discussing the lower because they basically turned the upper into scrap/parts. The whole idea of "converting" a perfectly working rifle is ****ing stupid.

-Mike

Yes, creating solutions to problems that don't exist is admirable. Welcome to the new america.

Want a piston gun buy a piston gun, (or build it that way- from the ground up!) don't buy a bunch of junk in a can that purports to make your AR a piston gun.

Anyone that tried to sell me an AR with one of those kits in it, I would tell them I wouldn't give them 50 cents for their gun, or I'd take off the upper and tell them we were only discussing the lower because they basically turned the upper into scrap/parts. The whole idea of "converting" a perfectly working rifle is ****ing stupid.

-Mike

+1, don't buy the kit!!

I'm looking to build a piston upper (not kit conversion) so I can spread the cashflow. i'm not having the best luck finding good sites that sell parts to build a piston upper. I can only find sites selling a complete piston upper, which are around $1800 and up. Hell i'm looking to build a Stag piston upper or M&P piston upper but can't find sites for the parts. Any website suggestions?

I'm looking to build a piston upper (not kit conversion) so I can spread the cashflow. i'm not having the best luck finding good sites that sell parts to build a piston upper. I can only find sites selling a complete piston upper, which are around $1800 and up. Hell i'm looking to build a Stag piston upper or M&P piston upper but can't find sites for the parts. Any website suggestions?

You must be living on a different planet.

The Ruger upper, which doesn't get much play from keyboard commandos, but whose owners never seem to complain is about $1100
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...-flip-up-sights-flash-hider-30-round-magazine

The adams arms run from $900 to $1300. This 900 one looks nice.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...ree-float-modular-rail-handguard-muzzle-brake

Actually, adams base piston upper is $600
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...th-m4-handguard-flash-hider?cm_vc=subv1266950

The adams system seems to be the most liked conversion. So if you figure $600 for a factory built upper. Thats not too bad.

don

The Ruger upper, which doesn't get much play from keyboard commandos, but whose owners never seem to complain is about $1100

Not that I have a dog in the fight other then I think pistons on AR's are silly, but I was standing in Flint one day a while back and there was a dude who was pretty upset about his Ruger piston upper going back to the factory for the third time because it wasn't running proper. I saw him in there a few weeks later and he said they beveled the rear of the BCG and it runs like a champ now. [thinking]

I wanted a rifle with a piston, so I bought an M14.

I wanted a rifle with a piston, so I built an AKM.

Given the nature of the AR-15, you would think that a piston kit would just introduce new low-clearance contact points in the assembly, while simultaneously introducing more points of friction, resulting in possible failure when debris is added to the equation to all of these areas.

Last edited:
Mike I like a lot of your posts. You could have just said that you dont like the piston kits and think they are a waste of money in your opinion.

Dom

Yes, I could have, but that doesn't properly depict the level of disdain I have for those things. [laugh]

Still not as bad as a fake collapsible stock, though. I would cerakote my Glocks in "awareness pink" before I ever owned a rifle with one of those on it.

Fake collapsibles are the AR-15 equivalent of 1-877 kars for kids. The only thing worse is if they had that song start to play every time someone grabbed the adjustment lever in pain when they tried to adjust the fake part.

-Mike

Yes, I could have, but that doesn't properly depict the level of disdain I have for those things. [laugh]

Still not as bad as a fake collapsible stock, though. I would cerakote my Glocks in "awareness pink" before I ever owned a rifle with one of those on it.

Fake collapsibles are the AR-15 equivalent of 1-877 kars for kids. The only thing worse is if they had that song start to play every time someone grabbed the adjustment lever in pain when they tried to adjust the fake part.

-Mike

I was just talking to DMan7 at the range about this. I had a vltor rifle stock on my AR SBR and he had the old standby A2.

The only thing worse than a pinned fake collapsible is a pinned Magpul or some other high end collapsible stock. That means the person paid extra, a lot extra for a stock whose function is nonfunctional. if you get my drift.

Then buy this. http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=403&idcategory=44

Back
Top Bottom