• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Planning move out of state (MA to NH)

Unrestricted LTC in MA in a green town
I have a house I live in, in that town

I have a commerical property for a business in that town (retail store front)

I have another business that is regional NH/MA (real estate services/investment)

The plan is to move to NH and rent out my current MA home next year. I have a two family so I plan on keeping the smaller side for myself but it will not be where I stay the majority of the time.

I will end up spending the majority of my time in MA.

Would it be possible to keep my LTC from my green town or do I need to apply for the non resident with the state . What are the chances I would be restricted?

my background is 100% clean

Last edited:
you apply for a "resident" LTC with your business address in the town where your business is located. When I moved from Westford to NH I did the notifications and then applied for an LTC in Chelmsford. No need to go to the state. You may want to speak with the COP as it is all 1 town. You may only need to do a "change of address" with the town and state listing your business as the new address. Chances are, the COP won't know either. Maybe call FRB. @Len-2A Training (?) should be along to advise. The town of Westford did NOT actually "expire" my LTC when I moved out of state. SO it was still valid. When Chelmsford issued my LTC, we had to get Chelmsford to expire my LTC so Westford could activate the new one.

The plan is to move to NH and rent out my current MA home next year. I have a two family so I plan on keeping the smaller side for myself but it will not be where I stay the majority of the time.

So you will spend the majority of the year in Mass,
but most of that time you will live in some other Mass house?

Is that different residence in the same Mass town as your current residence?
If not, is that other town green?

If you start spending time in the smaller side of your existing 2-family house,
will your mailing address change?

So you will spend the majority of the year in Mass,
but most of that time you will live in some other Mass house?

Is that different residence in the same Mass town as your current residence?
If not, is that other town green?

If you start spending time in the smaller side of your existing 2-family house,
will your mailing address change?
I will be working in MA the majority of the time. Reason to keep the MA LTC

I will be over night in NH the majority of the time

Mailing address and license will change to NH

I have a house and business in the same green town. I am planning on moving 1 hour north. I am already on the border

I will be working in MA the majority of the time.
Where you work doesn't determine where you reside.

The question isn't where you prefer to receive mail,
and the question isn't what jurisdiction licenses you to drive a car.

The question is whether the address where you would receive mail in Massachusetts
will change when you move to the other half of your house.
If so then it wouldn't be Massprudent to blow off
filing a change of address with the Mass licensing authorities.

I have a house and business in the same green town.
Massachusetts licensing authorities will not issue a resident LTC
based on owning residential property in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts licensing authorities issue resident LTCs
to people who reside in Massachusetts.

I've never heard of a Mass jurisdiction that makes it easier
to get a business LTC than a resident LTC.

If I could make the case that I remained a Mass resident,
I would not screw around trying to get a business LTC.

Unrestricted LTC in MA in a green town
I have a house I live in, in that town

I have another business that is regional NH/MA (real estate services/investment)

Would it be possible to keep my LTC from my green town or do I need to apply for the non resident with the state . What are the chances I would be restricted?

my background is 100% clean
I believe you will need to get an out of state license for Mass if you establish residency in NH

I will be working in MA the majority of the time. Reason to keep the MA LTC

I will be over night in NH the majority of the time

I have a house and business in the same green town. I am planning on moving 1 hour north. I am already on the border

Go to the chief and see if you can get an "LTC as a business owner" in that town. Of course the transference part is going to be fun. He might have to talk to EOPS to force your old license to be expired so he can then issue you the new "business" one.

Assuming you are keeping this, you can have an in state LTC as a business owner. Just do a change of address to the business address, I did this back in the early 90s when I briefly moved to NH and it was a big nothing. Things could have changed, so maybe just ask the CoP in the town where your business is if there is anything more to it. Worst case would be applying in the town with the business.

Dual residency? That just doesn't sound right to me Where's he going to vote during elections NH or MA?

None of that matters WRT guns or gun ownership, or buying guns, or lawfully possessing them. Do not attempt to entangle that with voting, paying taxes, or anything like that, they're all governed by different sets of rules depending on the context of what you are trying to do.

None of that matters WRT guns or gun ownership, or buying guns, or lawfully possessing them. Do not attempt to entangle that with voting, paying taxes, or anything like that, they're all governed by different sets of rules depending on the context of what you are trying to do.
Correct buying owning etc has nothing to do with obtaining a license to carry (at least in NH)

Dual residency? That just doesn't sound right to me Where's he going to vote during elections NH or MA?
Hint: When Mass gun owners prepare to head south every year
to spend the winter in their Florida condo,
where do they go to sell all of their guns
before turning in their resident LTC?

Hint: When Mass gun owners prepare to head south every year
to spend the winter in their Florida condo,
where do they go to sell all of their guns
before turning in their resident LTC?
Why would they sell them? Why would they turn in their MA LTC, if they are in a vacation location?

The person who started the thread they are moving to NH. That implies residency. He/ she also stated that they will maintain business(es) as well as place where they can stay...

My logic is that person will no longer be a full time resident in MA, that he will need a NH PRL if a MA LTC is to be had they will need to get a non-resident MA LTC..
Because they no long actually live there

The person who started the thread they are moving to NH. That implies residency. He/ she also stated that they will maintain business(es) as well as place where they can stay...

My logic is that person will no longer be a full time resident in MA, that he will need a NH PRL if a MA LTC is to be had they will need to get a non-resident MA LTC..
Because they no long actually live there

A MA resident LTC is poorly named as you are eligible if you reside OR have a business in MA. It would be better named an in-state LTC to distinguish it from the out-of-state LTC. At one point I lived/resided in NH and held an in-state LTC as I had a business in MA (happend to be an FFL but that had little to do with which license I had and who issued it).

I have a decent rapport with the town I am in and the licensing officer. I will explain the situation and get his opinion and real legal advice (I know not to take legal advice from a police officer no matter how decent of a person) and proceed

Cite the MA LTC law that refers to "full time" resident.
After reading more shit about MA laws than anyone would ever want to know... I see what you mean regarding MA residency laws. That said, it appears that he/she can continue with a resident LTC license as long as he maintains a business in MA while establishing residency in NH.

That said, it appears that he/she can continue with a resident LTC license as long as he maintains a business in MA while establishing residency in NH.
If OP resides in a town that tends not to issue LTCs to business owners
then if OP goes out of their way to tell the police all about their plans to become
a part-timer who seldom stays in town, and wants to keep their LTC as a business owner,
they run the risk of getting revoked because they no longer need an LTC.

OP risks their license in a way they wouldn't if they merely filed a change of address
from one side of the duplex to the other
, where they intend to maintain a residence
in (the other half of) the duplex where they live now,

The party-approved LTC change of address form asks for the new residence address
(which OP had been hellbent on logging as "NH"), and new mailing address.

There's no checkoff box for "don't sweat it, Chief; I still own that business at 5 Hazmat Way".

So under the cunning "Business LTC" scheme, he has to add a note to that effect
or else he will seem to be saying that he has become a nonresident.

If OP resides in a town that tends not to issue LTCs to business owners
then if OP goes out of their way to tell the police all about their plans to become
a part-timer who seldom stays in town, and wants to keep their LTC as a business owner,
they run the risk of getting revoked because they no longer need an LTC.

OP risks their license in a way they wouldn't if they merely filed a change of address
from one side of the duplex to the other
, where they intend to maintain a residence
in (the other half of) the duplex where they live now,

The party-approved LTC change of address form asks for the new residence address
(which OP had been hellbent on logging as "NH"), and new mailing address.

There's no checkoff box for "don't sweat it, Chief; I still own that business at 5 Hazmat Way".

So under the cunning "Business LTC" scheme, he has to add a note to that effect
or else he will seem to be saying that he has become a nonresident.
Thank you for reminding me to stay put in NH 😂

Thank you for reminding me to stay put in NH 😂
44gyb9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom