• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Police Series, 0083 Marine Corps are they real cops?

jhagberg88

NES Member
so Im pretty far along in the process for getting hired onto these guys, i just went back into the listing to see something and this caught my eye.

"This position does not meet the definition of law enforcement officer (LEO) and is excluded from coverage as LEO for purposes of the Federal Employment Retirement System – Base Annuity IAW 5 CFR, Part 842, Subpart H."

are they real cops or security guards?

They are definitely police with arrest powers, I received a citation from one when I got pulled over for speeding back while in the Marines, this is only speaking retirement wise just as the VA Police arent covered under LEO retirement however they too definitely are Police also. I do believe they are covered under LEOSA however....

They are federal police officers with full arrest powers and LEOSA coverage. That statement refers to the type of retirement they are eligible for. It may also mean that they are under the GS rather than the GL payscale for the single digit paygrades.

They are federal police officers with full arrest powers and LEOSA coverage. That statement refers to the type of retirement they are eligible for. It may also mean that they are under the GS rather than the GL payscale for the single digit paygrades.

Yes. They are cops with full federal authority, but if you get the job, you won't feel like a cop. Lots of bases make these guys pull gate duty and the military treats them like guards.

You will be referred to as "gate guard" more than officer. It seems to be a decent job as long as you are permanent and not term and take it for what it is.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Stepping stone. (Baltimore Police will take your training/academy for their hiring purpose). they will then give you the law portion / update to get hired by them. I was a Federal Police Officer, I / you will be treated as a guard by employees and supervisors. The retirement is for the three letter agencies, you will be under the GS schedule. Pay is great but the retirement stinks (unless it has changed, 1% of your pay per year for 30 years).

Back
Top Bottom