• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Positive respones from state Reps

Just received a very positive response from my State Rep -

Hi Horrible:

Thanks very much for contacting me. As a sportsman, LTC holder and gun owner, I could not agree with you more. Myself and a couple of colleagues have been leading the charge to have a civil conversation on these issues and will continue to encourage people to enforce our already incredibly strict laws and go after criminals, not take away the rights of law abiding citizens as so described by the governor and many of my colleagues. Please rest assured that I will do all in my power to continue to advocate for our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Thanks again for getting in touch and please do not hesitate to get in touch with any further matters.

Just got off the phone with State Rep Fernandes. We talked for 20mins+. Unfortunately, I cannot say that he is on our side. He essentially said; I'm a constitution lawyer and know and respect 1st & 2A and the whole Constitution. However, all proposals and ideas will be left on the table and looked into. I'm roughly quoting; if there's anything that can be done to curb gun violence, he's going to look into it and if it's based in reality (ie can be backed as effective) he will have to consider it. He likened gun ownership legislature to drunk driving legislature and said the past 30 years prove that legislation has curbed drunk driving and deaths. He also quoted reports that say less guns = less gun violence. He even touted the excellent results of the Patriot Act and how it curbs terrorist acts which of course we don't know about since it's not public info. As to the exact content of the proposal, he hasn't looked into it yet.

I maintained my composure through out and respectfully disagreed. I offered my help and the help of others to partake in his "discovery" process where he's deciding if he's going to back it or not. I offered to provide him with data, studies & opinions. He was open to this and asked me to contact him as this unfolds.

Very disappointing to say the least. Also, this conversation drew my attention to something: most Reps will say they support and defend 2A, but in their mind they think it's acceptable to "reasonably" legislate and control. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of reps are telling you they're pro-2A then turn around and sign more gun control legislation.

I need a drink.

a constitution lawyer who is a big fan of the patriot act?

god help us all

Rep Zlotnik (30min phone conv. - he's on our side) and Sen Brewer has always been in the past (left message for him)

I put more info in another thread - just found this one

Here's a copy of my letter that I am emailing and snail mailing to my reps if anyone is looking for ideas.

Representative X;

I am writing to you as a voter and resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I am deeply concerned by Governor Patrick's new proposed Gun Legislation. In a state that already has some of the most restrictive gun laws this new legislation further chips away at the rights and liberties granted to use by the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment of the United States Constitution.

I was deeply horrified by the atrocities committed in Newtown, CT. I am in support of legislation that would have meaningful and effective action to help prevent future tragedies without infringing upon the rights of law abiding citizens. No such action exists in this new legislation proposed by Governor Patrick. These new laws will do nothing to prevent the violent actions of unstable criminals. The only effect the will have is hindering the ability of lawful Americans to protect their families and their freedoms. Nearly all gun crime in this country is committed by people who are in illegal possession of firearms, they will not be affected by these new laws. Instead of creating new laws, the existing ones should be enforced. Further restricting Massachusetts citizens’ rights to keep and bear arms will only serve to make them easier targets for those who have intent to cause harm regardless of any law enacted or enforced. Firearms are inanimate objects and to blame them for the action of people's free will and punish lawful citizens is not the solution.

The right to bear arms goes far beyond hunting and sporting. Throughout history disarmed citizens have become subjects to tyranny and enslaved by their government. While this may not yet be an immediate threat today, any action to reduce the ability of the citizens to keep the reach of the government in check, which was founded by freedom loving men to serve them, further erodes the principles and liberties for our future generations. These laws proposed by Governor Patrick will turn me and many other innocent people like myself into felons with a flick of a pen. I as a citizen, brother, husband and future father respectfully urge you to please stand with me and many others like me in the defense of our Constitution and the future of this state and great nation. Please vote no on any new legislation that seeks to strip the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment rights from the people whom you are sworn to serve.

Respectfully,

Go to the FBI website and print out statistics on violent crimes and send them. That is what I am doing.

Ps: I am stealing your letter. Hope you dont mind. Or as Obama would say "its for the children."

Rep Shaunna O'Connell is a gun owner, active shooter, and member of Taunton Rifle and pistol, NRA, and GOAL with family memberships.

Emailed Rep. Naughton today this is what I got...
--

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected] ([email protected])
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

--
..don't know if that's a good thing or not, but GOAL has him as an A.

Fired off an email to Sen.Murray and Rep. Cutler.
Received a positive response from Cutler. Member of a gun club and has his LTC A.
Received an acknowledgement of my email from Murray . No formal response.

My rep is Keiko Orrall. I called her office and was told she had no intention of supporting any additional gun control legislation. Same response from my Senator, Mike Rodrigues. I called Speaker Bob Deleo and Senate President Therese Murrys offices also. Deleos office said the phone was ringing off the hook today, so hopefully he gets the message. Called Patricks office just cuz..... I got the feeling they didn't appreciate me sharing my opinion.

Man, that would be so sweet. The only person I have heard from so far is Ed Markey, and I'm sure you can guess what he had to say. But today I followed up with calls.

jim Lyons is on our side, no responsefrom dizoglio, finegold have me some generic "im taking my constituents views into consideration" baloney

Just got off the phone with State Rep Fernandes. We talked for 20mins+. Unfortunately, I cannot say that he is on our side. He essentially said; I'm a constitution lawyer and know and respect 1st & 2A and the whole Constitution. However, all proposals and ideas will be left on the table and looked into. I'm roughly quoting; if there's anything that can be done to curb gun violence, he's going to look into it and if it's based in reality (ie can be backed as effective) he will have to consider it..

I haven't had a chance to speak to him directly but we have been emailing back and forth and he has been very timely in his responses. These are actual conversations, not form letters.
I don't know what info he already has so my main points were the fact that we already have some of the toughest laws in the nation, we already have an AWB, and our licensing process is one of the most difficult and personal in the country. The other issue is the whole 7 round thing that is going to make accidental criminals out of a lot of people.

Last edited:
I sent emails to all my reps and congress people. I live in Reading and I haven't seen any positive responses posted here for my area. Has anyone received any?

I sent emails to all my reps and congress people. I live in Reading and I haven't seen any positive responses posted here for my area. Has anyone received any?

not North Reading but close enough - Jim Lyons from Andover, probably the best Rep in the commonwealth

Feedback from Josh Cutler:

Bill,

Thanks for your message. I'm a member of the Rod & Gun Club over in Hanson and have my Class A LTC so I certainly appreciate and support the rights of gun owners.

I expect that we will see a number of gun-related pieces of legislation during this legislative session. My hope is that we will focus on the areas where there is consensus such as in the area of mental health. In some cases there may be individuals with documented mental health issues but for whatever reasons that information is not always reaching the police chiefs or designated licensing authorities as it should. That can and should be addressed.

However, I don't favor new broad-based measures that would further burden the rights of lawful gun owners. As you correctly point out, we need to put the focus back on stopping illegal firearms and those who do not adhere to the very strict gun laws already on the books.

Again, thanks for your message. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Regards,

Josh

Here is my response from mini-me and my response back to him

So you are telling me that criminals and mental nutcakes cannot plan out a crime, they only do it on the spur of the moment and will not plan it over a series of months?
That is good to know, however it seems that history proves you wrong, criminals and nut cases do plan sometimes for years. So what will a gun/magazine a month bill do to criminals, I can understand what it will do to the law abiding citizens, a response please!

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:39 AM
To: jeff@
Subject: Your message to Governor Patrick

January 18, 2013

Dear Jeffrey:

On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.

Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals. That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.

Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue. Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns. Your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,
Governor Patrick's Constituent Services Office
617-725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

Got a good response as a 2A supporter from Senator Barry Finegold. A non committal one way or the other response from Representative Colleen Gary

I also received a good response from Barry and a great response from Colleen, we have mutual friends, I've been going back & forth with emails for a couple of days with her, breaking down all the BS points and detailing what it really means to us.

She's definitely on our side.

Here is my response from mini-me and my response back to him

So you are telling me that criminals and mental nutcakes cannot plan out a crime, they only do it on the spur of the moment and will not plan it over a series of months?
That is good to know, however it seems that history proves you wrong, criminals and nut cases do plan sometimes for years. So what will a gun/magazine a month bill do to criminals, I can understand what it will do to the law abiding citizens, a response please!

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:39 AM
To: jeff@
Subject: Your message to Governor Patrick

January 18, 2013

Dear Jeffrey:

On behalf of Governor Deval L. Patrick, thank you for your recent correspondence regarding firearm safety and legislation.

Governor Patrick believes that successfully deterring gun violence requires a multi-faceted approach and should include policies focused on guns and at-risk individuals. That is why the Governor has and will continue to push for legislation that includes a formal collaboration between Massachusetts and the National Mental Health Registry, a ban on assault weapons and a limit on the amount of guns one person can buy in a given month.

Once again, thank you for your input on this important issue. Please feel free to contact our office again in the future with any additional questions or concerns. Your comments are always welcome in this administration.

Sincerely,
Governor Patrick's Constituent Services Office
617-725-4005
www.mass.gov/governor/contact

that is a canned msg i got the same response

Just sent this to Governor Patrick:

Governor, according to the FBI Uniform Crime statistics for 2010-2011, MA has some of the most restrictive laws and reports a rate of violent crime higher than the US average and higher than any other state in NE: 2010-468.9/100,000; 2011-428.4/100,000. How could more restrictive measures on law abiding citizens reduce the violence of criminals? Go after them, not us.

he is? we need to hammer him and show that many of us disagree with his understanding of the constitution

Just got off the phone with Angie @ GOAL to report my conversation with Fernandes. She said the rating is based on their past voting history which of course is understandable. Just wanted to notify her that he is considering the new legislation and likes the Patriot Act.

Back
Top Bottom