possible AR 80% build party wmass

I just figured I would post this and see if anyone would be interested in a small build party in the Greater Easthampton area this summer.
what I can offer:
A garage with a small machine shop including a bridgeport milling machine.

Is it a one day process? Interested for sure. Are you doing billet or forged? Do you have the good jigs? Where is east hampton? Nice of you to offer, regardless.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Easthampton is about 20-25 minutes north of Springfield on 91 or 15 minutes off the Westfield Mass pike exit. I do not have the jigs at the moment. as for the lowers. that would be up the the person. they would have to bring their own.

. I do not have the jigs at the moment.

You don't need a jig - you've got a Bridgeport! Just count the turns on the handwheel dials.

Make some free clamping plates out of scrap 1/2" aluminum plate.

Spend the $$ you would have wasted on a jig on beer & food [smile]

I have some tools and stuff available for loan. Send PM if interested.

You don't need a jig - you've got a Bridgeport! Just count the turns on the handwheel dials.

Make some free clamping plates out of scrap 1/2" aluminum plate.

Spend the $$ you would have wasted on a jig on beer & food [smile]

Or they could set that $$ aside to replace the receiver that is now trashed because they used a jury rigged jig. This forum owns a couple community jigs from the winter GB fiasco. They are free to use for forum members. Last I knew goldiggie had them, contact him.

Archi, you need to remember that these guys, for the most part, are not machinists. Many may be seeing a Bridgeport for the first time.

Doing one myself I completely agree that I wouldn't "need" a jig, I could just as easily go from prints but for an inexperienced bridgport pilot I think it will be well worth the money to have one around.

Or they could set that $$ aside to replace the receiver that is now trashed because they used a jury rigged jig. This forum owns a couple community jigs from the winter GB fiasco. They are free to use for forum members. Last I knew goldiggie had them, contact him.

Archi, you need to remember that these guys, for the most part, are not machinists. Many may be seeing a Bridgeport for the first time.

Yup... still have some communal jigs... We can even provide instructions on what to do to get the best results (and not destroy the jig parts in the process). With a solid mill (Bridgeport) you can get a lower processed in about an hour. Time often depends on tool changes and other factors.

You do need a few specific spec end mills, drill bits and reamers, to do the job. HSS bits seem to work the best, and are not expensive. It's also sofa king much easier if the mill has DRO's on it. Especially when making the trigger/hammer pocket wide enough. Easy to take a couple of thousands off that way.

Like this....

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s494/Archilochus57/ar-plates.jpg

Edit ...This is NOT a "jig" - just clamping pads. Also, this pic is just a mock-up. I would use 3 clamps if I was actually getting ready to cut.
Wouldn't ever fire up the DRO's for this. I'm no machinist (though I pretend to be one at work [rofl]). Really, with a Bridgeport AND DRO's - a jig is just money spent on fancy clamping plates.

Boris, I tried looking it up - what's MFL ?

Last edited:
Communal jig means the OP has to spend about $0 to use it. Provided he uses it right and doesn't **** up the top plate. With the pins holding the sides into position, the plates are also parallel with the table/vise (assuming he has a good milling vise). It also means he doesn't need to use up some aluminum plates of his own to make a make-shift jig.

I've helped a LOT of people machine lowers with these jigs. The process has been refined to make it so easy even a cave-man could do it. Well, provided he knows how to turn the handle on the mill.

- - - Updated - - -

if some one wants to bring a 308 fixture and 80% we can do it up

I have an AR10 jig available if there's a need. Same tooling is used for both lowers. Just a bit different on how you machine the pocket. If anything, the AR10 is easier than the AR15.

Just to clarify... those are not "jigs" in the pic - just clamping pads made from scrap. You don't need a jig if you have a mill.

Yes, We all get it and we all agree that an experienced operator does not need a jig. Now that we have that out of the way.

The forum has the proper fixture available for members use at no charge.
The fixture also locates the axis pin holes for the hammer and trigger as well as the selector switch. While the FCG pocket has fairly loose tolerances (most are +/- .010) the axis pins must be on the money. Thou or two off here will throw the hammer/trigger geometry way off.

Why do you seem so dead set on not using the proper tool for the job.

Didn't say I would buy one lol... I build mine out of 0% al forgings.

Sorry, I just don't see an upside to these.
You will need to buy more tooling (#42 aircraft extension bit and a 1-3/16x16 tap at the very least) The receiver extension tube threads must be cut dead nuts accurate and the best you could hope to end up with would be an overweight receiver.

... dead set on not using the proper tool for the job.

I'd say that I'm more 'set' on seeing the proper tool used - he's got a Bridgeport with DRO's!

Really can't get much easier than that. Since there will be someone there who knows how to run the mill, he's going to be baby-sitting either way - might as well not spend the $$ on the jig.

Interested. I've been sitting on a billet 80 forever and even through in money on a jig, but I seriously doubt I will ever get it done because I don't have a mill or drill press.

In this case you are allowed to use a jig and milling machine to complete a 80% lower. in other build partys for Aks for example you build the full gun.

If you have the rest of the parts we have the tools to help assemble the rest too. However you may want to anodize or cerekote the lower first before assembly.

Malodave

Back
Top Bottom