possible AR 80% build party wmass

For the 3rd time, WE ALREADY OWN THE JIGS. Maybe a program in remedial reading or English comprehension is in order.

If you guys need spare top plates let us know. We also have some blemished or slightly damaged jigs that we would be willing to donate to the cause. Also, just a reminder, next time you guys are planning let us know, we will run a sale for you guys that still need to pick some up. We are in Indian Orchard, so Easthampton is not too far.

Happy Building Gentlemen.

I'm interested. I don't know anything about machining, but I have been wanting to finish an 80% lower for quite some time now. It would be nice to have like-minded folks with the experience around to guide me through the process.

I have a lower already. Subd.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Saturday is sweet. But my better half works every other weekend.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Most definetly interested on this one. As I have no knowledge what so ever on a build. As long as you guys are OK with a little bit of baby sitting me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

FYI Pre-anodized 80% lowers will dull an End mill by the second lower.
Better to get them in the raw and Cerakote after machining.

Malodave

Malodave

People don't believe us when we say that... Until they try to machine the second, or third, hard anodized lower on that same bit.

Remember, folks, anodizing (especially type III hard anodizing) is a hard aluminum oxide layer. The same material used to grind/sharpen drill bits, and end mills, is on the lower. Drill bits, for the side holes, will also be dulled far sooner.

People don't believe us when we say that... Until they try to machine the second, or third, hard anodized lower on that same bit.

Remember, folks, anodizing (especially type III hard anodizing) is a hard aluminum oxide layer. The same material used to grind/sharpen drill bits, and end mills, is on the lower. Drill bits, for the side holes, will also be dulled far sooner.

So what's the easiest option out there for protecting an unanodized, freshly milled 80%? Are folks anodizing them themselves? Cerakote? Norrells?

So what's the easiest option out there for protecting an unanodized, freshly milled 80%? Are folks anodizing them themselves? Cerakote? Norrells?

I've done anodizing at home, with decent results. If I had a choice, I'd just Cerakote it though (once machined). More color choices, more reliable color results, great finish/protection of the parts too. Plus, you can get the other major parts of your build sprayed the same color (so nothing looks weird). I'm set up to Cerakote at home now, so it's no biggie for me. [smile]

Try using real cutting oil instead of using wd40 or whatever crap it was that you were using, I forget now. I have finished way more than that using the same end mills.

Malodave

Use carbide endmills.. You won't have any problems... I've done quite a few lowers on the same end mills. Yes there anodized ones....

If I take a completed 80% to a shop to get cerakoted, what info do they log into their book (if any)?

Try using real cutting oil instead of using wd40 or whatever crap it was that you were using, I forget now. I have finished way more than that using the same end mills.

+1 I've never noticed any major degradation on my tools when cutting on type III anodized lowers.

At work we chop up type II stuff all the time with not problems too.

Back
Top Bottom