• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can drive the rifle faster and with more accuracy

I'll buy faster, but more accuracy? It seems to me that you'd get better support with your hand in close and your elbow resting on your rib cage. My offhand is nothing to write home about but that's how I was taught and that's how most of the really good high power shooters I've seen do it. (I've really been struggling with my offhand so if there's a better position I'm all ears.)

I'll buy faster, but more accuracy? It seems to me that you'd get better support with your hand in close and your elbow resting on your rib cage. My offhand is nothing to write home about but that's how I was taught and that's how most of the really good high power shooters I've seen do it. (I've really been struggling with my offhand so if there's a better position I'm all ears.)

when you are trying to engage multiple targets quickly, you need to be able to stop and start the rifle quickly, If you can't stop the rifle, you can't shoot accurately. If you hold near the magwell, it is harder to control the rifle.

If you are just shooting 1 target slowly, then it is not the best technique

HP is a different animal altogether than what they are doing.

B

Agree with Supermoto. It is imperative to NOT get welded to one technique and then try to hammer that square peg into round holes of situations where your only technique is inappropriate.

That is why one needs to know close in rifle techniques as well as those for when distances start to matter. Know how to shoot a rifle fluidly on the move to deal with targets 20 - 30 yards away then drop into a hasty sling prone to deal with targets 250 yards out.

Same with a pistol. Know when and how to shoot with a hard focus on the front sight and perfect sight alignment. Know when and how to shoot with a flash sight picture. Know when and how to abandon two handed techniques and let fly with one handed point shooting. Know how to reload a revolver as fast as possible. Know how to clear type one and two semi auto malfunctions in fractions of a second.

when you are trying to engage multiple targets quickly, you need to be able to stop and start the rifle quickly, If you can't stop the rifle, you can't shoot accurately. If you hold near the magwell, it is harder to control the rifle.

If you are just shooting 1 target slowly, then it is not the best technique

Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks.

HP is a different animal altogether than what they are doing.

I know, I was just hoping I could apply something from that discipline to what I'm doing. (Or not doing, as the case may be...)

You can get the old USAMU International Rifle Shooting manual off my DivShare account. Read the chapter on standing. It's quite good. The CMP also has a free guide Teaching Rifle Positions to New Junior Shooters. It's on the Publications page. Just scroll down till you see it and then download the .pdf. I've found that the stuff for juniors is substantially better quality than most stuff written for adults because it focuses on fundamental skill development.

B

Different shooting requires different techniques. Long distance shooting from a prone position at moving targets (without a bi-pod) requires that the supporting hand be midway down the barrel with the supporting elbow as close to vertically under the barrel as possible. This allows you to transition to a new target position using the forward elbow as the fulcrum around which you rotate.

Standing (or off-hand) shooting at stationary targets (or while waiting for a target to appear) allows for a close grip to provide as stable a position as is possible, because holding your arms at extended positions for a long time introduces trembling which reduces the effectiveness of the shots.

Standing and shooting at multiple (or moving) targets which require that you rapidly transition from one target to another is where the extended support grip is helpful, as you can bring the muzzle onto the target faster and more accurately, without the over travel that is possible when swinging from one position to another with a close support hand.

I actually stopped watching it as soon as he " adjusted " his hearing protection...I had seen enough.

I only watched the beginning of the video and had to quit. Simply stated, it was and is bloodily bad
At first, I thought that it was supposed to be a joke and then decided that it was funny.
In fact, it was funny all of the things that he did not know? The sad part is that many unknowing people will try to learn from him. This in area that I know a lot about. I am one of the guys that have to untrain the folks that thought he was doing it right.

Yeah this one is done. To the cold blooded killer OP, don't post idiotic shit like that in the training forum, off-topic is there for a reason.[thinking]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom