• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that shot to shot? for me in a match with a slide racker for a simple stoppage, it's atleast 2 seconds first shot, bang.... second shot, click.... rack the slide and re-engage... bang
If you can fix a double feed just by racking the slide, please post a video of how to do it. Seriously.

Because every pistol I've ever had that happen to requires that you lock the slide back, rip the mag out, roll it on its side, and rack the slide at least twice to remove the confusion from inside of it. Then you have to fish out a new mag, reload and get back to it.

That's 2 to 3 seconds from the time the malf begins.

Even clearing a type 1 or 2 malf takes longer than what you say when done right. I know gamers just rack the slide, but just about any reputable combatives trainer will teach to slap the mag in, roll the pistol so the ejection port faces down, rack the slide, then roll back on target. Is it slower? Yes. Does it work 100% of the time? Yes again.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can fix a double feed just by racking the slide, please post a video of how to do it. Seriously.

Because every pistol I've ever had that happen to requires that you lock the slide back, rip the mag out, roll it on its side, and rack the slide at least twice to remove the confusion from inside of it. Then you have to fish out a new mag, reload and get back to it.

That's 2 to 3 seconds from the time the malf begins.

Even clearing a type 1 or 2 malf takes longer than what you say when done right. I know gamers just rack the slide, but just about any reputable combatives trainer will teach to slap the mag in, roll the pistol so the ejection port faces down, rack the slide, then roll back on target. Is it slower? Yes. Does it work 100% of the time? Yes again.

Jose, my point was that I thought Timbers time was overly ambitious or he did not time it shot to shot. If I have to stop shooting to clear the most basic malfunction, the fastest way I can. I'm still looking at 2 sec

But seeing Timber videos, he does have a lot of practice cleaning malfunctions, so he be extremely fast

Last edited:
Jose, my point was that I thought Timbers time was overly ambitious or he did not time it shot to shot. If I have to stop shooting to clear the most basic malfunction, the fastest way I can. I'm still looking at 2 sec

But seeing Timber videos, he does have a lot of practice cleaning malfunctions, so he be extremely fast

You do agree that fixing a double feed/type 3 malf is not as simple as just racking the slide, right? That it requires, at the very least, racking the slide a few times while holding down the mag release; and that often the jam will require locking back the slide, ripping out the mag, racking the slide a few times to clear all cartridges and cases out, getting a new mag, and racking the slide one last time to load the chamber.

Only guys at Rob Leatham's level could possibly do all that in less than two seconds shot to shot.

You do agree that fixing a double feed/type 3 malf is not as simple as just racking the slide, right? That it requires, at the very least, racking the slide a few times while holding down the mag release; and that often the jam will require locking back the slide, ripping out the mag, racking the slide a few times to clear all cartridges and cases out, getting a new mag, and racking the slide one last time to load the chamber.

Only guys at Rob Leatham's level could possibly do all that in less than two seconds shot to shot.

I agree with you.

Funniest friggin thing I've seen in a while!!! [rofl]

wow, did you see how narrow the door was behind him? just saying...

also

full_of_win_RE_Omegle_T_Rex-s694x530-79066.jpg

Wow. 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. Seriously Dude.. welcome to NES, but this is a shooter's forum and you gotta know your stuff if you're gonna post like this.

Well, that was fun. Welcome to NES. There are a lot of people here who really know their stuff. If you want to set yourself up as an expert, make sure you actually are first. I would hazard that some of the best shooters in the country - at least the ones in this part of it - post here. They're quite generous with their time and advice to people who are sincerely seeking to improve. They have little patience for people who claim expertise with out actually having it.

Me? I read a lot, make the occasional joke and wiseass comment or political observation in Off Topic but I read 90% and post 10% in the actual gun threads. It's amazing what you can learn when you adopt that outlook.

A "true" double-feed (where two live rounds are trying to enter the chamber) is usually caused by a faulty magazine. This malfunction can be easy (and quick) to clear, but if you don't use a new magazine as part of your clearance procedure, then you might end up with just another malfunction caused by said magazine.

Failures to extract (where a live round is pushing on the rear of a fired case still in the chamber) is a different story. This is usually caused by a torn cartridge rim or broken extractor. In either circumstance your situation is dire. Racking the slide multiple times might catch the damaged rim and pull the offending casing from the chamber - but maybe not. If the extractor is broken, well.... that gun is down for the duration of the fight.

Both malfunctions are easy to set up and fix on the square range, but not so much in other places. I've seen some good shooters clear type 1, 2, and 3 malfunctions really fast when they set the drill up and knew the malfunction was coming. However, when they experienced the same (but now unanticipated) malfunction in the middle of a stage, it took a brief moment (additional time) for them to mentally switch gears from engaging targets to diagnosing what just went wrong with the gun. (The timer doesn't lie)

If you want to set yourself up as an expert, make sure you actually are first.

A novel idea... I hope it catches on!

Point was I could've made a sammich and taken a leisurely nap during the time it took the dude in the video.

And yes, I've had a lot of practice. [laugh]

I need more practice at making a sammich and taking a leisurely nap. [laugh]

This is an outstanding example of viral marketing. He seeds his videos on forums across the nation, generates allot of buzz, and his YouTube channel hit count goes through the roof.

Translating that into paid sponsorships would, of course, require a product worth sponsoring.

Hey Cooter, I reckon you're right.

Pops was amusing in his ineptitude at first. But now he probably needs to get a boot in the ass.

This is an outstanding example of viral marketing. He seeds his videos on forums across the nation, generates allot of buzz, and his YouTube channel hit count goes through the roof.

Translating that into paid sponsorships would, of course, require a product worth sponsoring.

I agree, except that video only has 650+ views. And as much as he plays the hater -- most of the those views are from Jose, looking for a few pointers to add to his high speed repertoire.

hand.JPG

Can someone explain the reasons for the different forward hand grip positions? Not the physical polymer grip itself, but why would I want my hand there.

My understanding was that you wanted your forward hand close to your body, not extended out almost to the muzzle.

Watch and learn

Last edited by a moderator:
The more experienced guys can elaborate, but basically, it's for better control. With your support hand out at the front you can keep the muzzle from swaying better than if you were gripping the mag well.

The more experienced guys can elaborate, but basically, it's for better control. With your support hand out at the front you can keep the muzzle from swaying better than if you were gripping the mag well.

Not only that, it makes transitions (both horizontal and vertical) faster and easier to control.

You can drive the rifle faster and with more accuracy

[video=vimeo;13217854]http://vimeo.com/13217854[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom