Preban?

PreBan Colts are very high quality guns in their original configuration.
The problems start when swapping newer flat top uppers on to them.
I have had good luck using an adapter with a bit of super glue to hold it in place.
If you stick with a Colt SP1 or a Sporter 2, you will only have to deal with the big front pin.
These guns were made before the sear blocks and large trigger pins.

I tend to shy away from Colts because they do a lot of stupid s***. Put in Sear blocks, offset the front pin and make it larger, stupid s*** like that that gives you a headache.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Every once in awhile a PWA Commando or an ArmaLite may pop up.

we don't need no stinking prebans
i have an old colt paid $600 new with all evil features then purchased a pistol carbine conversion later, now i have 2 evil guns. they can stuff their preban ass rape prices

The question with all prebans is, how good a gunsmith are you? None are universally perfect. Colts have a better chance of being in spec BUT there is the large front pin and the sear block depending on exactly which lower. All the other brands have spec issues varying from "real close" to "please modify every part you install to make it work".

Until recently I have avoided like the plague the pre-ban lower game because of the inherit issues with compliance to specifications. Recently we got a large number of no-name prebans and not surprisingly, they vary lower to lower in terms of how easy it is to install parts and get them working. But I've had customers bring in every other brand for work to be done because of compliance too. Its just part of what you are buying into.

At one point or another I’ve built out the lowers of 3 different Colts, 4 different PWAs and 2 different Eagle Arms.

None have been out of spec, aside from the Colt BS with pivot pins, trigger pins, and sear blocks.

Maybe I just got lucky? 🤷‍♂️ I’ve also intentionally stayed away from SGW, DPMS, and Essential Arms. Tried to get a Bushmaster that wasn’t stated as preban for cheap, but was outbid at the last minute. So no experience with them.

At one point or another I’ve built out the lowers of 3 different Colts, 4 different PWAs and 2 different Eagle Arms.

None have been out of spec, aside from the Colt BS with pivot pins, trigger pins, and sear blocks.

Maybe I just got lucky? 🤷‍♂️ I’ve also intentionally stayed away from SGW, DPMS, and Essential Arms. Tried to get a Bushmaster that wasn’t stated as preban for cheap, but was outbid at the last minute. So no experience with them.
Yes. statistically you got lucky especially on EA. I have a EA in hand right now that the take down pins are not correct relative to the rest of the lower. Mags collide with the barrel extension on uppers. With a specification drawing in hand I can clearly measure the take downs being to0 far back by about 50 thousandths of an inch. The only reasonable solution is going to be to oblong the holes and use a tensioner at the back to keep the upper aligned forward. Sucks. Happens. I think I can fix it with only about 20 thousandths but until I start working on it I wont know.

Back
Top Bottom