pump or semi-auto for home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens when the scary sound of my shotgun doesn't scare them away, the warning shot pisses them off, there are 5 hardened pcp addicted gang bangers in my house and my MA legal magazine only holds 5 rounds?

What happens when the scary sound of my shotgun doesn't scare them away, the warning shot pisses them off, there are 5 hardened pcp addicted gang bangers in my house and my MA legal magazine only holds 5 rounds?

Did you practice mag changes? You should have had 5+1 at the start, so each of them should have been 'warned' once COM, it may be time to switch to CNS warnings.

Oh, and don't miss. Missing is bad.

Man, maybe I should search the internet to find out if there is any way to make the sound of my shotgun louder and more scary so I don't need to take it that far.

Did you practice mag changes? You should have had 5+1 at the start

Yup, not the easyest thing especially in a intense situation.
Doubt your going to be carrying spare mags in your pajamas.
Have you tried to insert a topped off mag into the gun after a round has been chambered? Very difficult.

Yup, not the easyest thing especially in a intense situation.
Doubt your going to be carrying spare mags in your pajamas.
Have you tried to insert a topped off mag into the gun after a round has been chambered? Very difficult.

A little polishing will make reloading on a closed bolt easy.

If you can't operate your HD weapon at zero-dark-thirty in your pjs, you don't have an HD weapon.

God damn it, twice in one thread?

I don't have a clean pair with me to change into this time.

Wow, that makes 3...I don't know what I am going to do about this mess.

It's amazing...isn't it?

I suppose racking the slide on a pistol has the same effect? Oh, wait....just spent half an hour dry firing...and my underpants are still clean. I guess not.

No warning shot, if they don't get it....leaves you with 6 to make a lasting impression on them and your wallpapers

The Saiga I see as more of a offensive or sporting shot gun. It's heavy, & unyielding (especially with 10 round mag & in Ma is tecnically illegal) one would not want to get involved in a legal situation with 10 rounder. If you fall on the ground, you can't shoot it well prone. Not to mention if there's someone in my home, I'd probably be nervous & would'nt want to fiddle with magazines. I'd rather just be able to load a few quick rounds into the gun itself.

Huh? Illegal?

Hopefully I will never need to use it for Home Defense but I have my Winchester SX3 always at the ready.

Go Autoloading as its one less thing to worry about if the situation does arise.

This thread has gone full retard.....

44968_460517653248_696273248_5176409_7082083_n.jpg

Nothing like a little Jack to liven up a party!

I shoot trap with my 870, then swap the barrel to the rifle sighted one when it's stored at home. So I have gotten a lot of
reflex training in pumping it. When we shoot trap we sometimes set the machine to fire five in a row, and it is no
problem cycling the shotgun fast enough to hit all of them, so I don't think the time taken to pump a new round is a big issue at all.

Why? I just crapped my pants at the thought of the sound of his shotgun while reading that post. [shocked]

I'm going to open up one of those colon blow clinics like they showed on the Jackass movie, and the only equipment is going to be is a toilet and a 30 second loop of a variety of 12 gauge shotgun racking noises. I'll be a millionaire in no time.

-Mike

If it's a pump shotgun it's excluded from the high capacity regulation (if it's not a pump there is no 'scary' sound) ...my Remington 870 holds 7+1 and is non high capacity...so no problem to finish the 5 gang bangers [smile]

...not that I would fire a warning shot!!

C140 S121
“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. The term “large capacity weapon” shall be a secondary designation and shall apply to a weapon in addition to its primary designation as a firearm, rifle or shotgun and shall not include: (i) any weapon that was manufactured in or prior to the year 1899; (ii) any weapon that operates by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that is a single-shot weapon;.....

If it's a pump shotgun it's excluded from the high capacity regulation (if it's not a pump there is no 'scary' sound) ...my Remington 870 holds 7+1 and is non high capacity...so no problem to finish the 5 gang bangers [smile]

I am aware, my posts in this thread are done in humor, to poke fun at the ridiculous idea that the sound of a shotgun action is some kind of deterrent to a criminal who is already in your home.

The 5 round magazine comment was with regard to the Saiga 12.

Old school 870 Police with wood and +2 extention.

To the sheeple it looks just like their grandpappy's old bird gun.

Completely reliable and nothing scary about it... 'cept to the dope on the other end of the barrel ! [wink]

I keep a pump in my safe with a pair of Fruit of the Loom underwear, which are full of ammo, and tied to the barrel of the shotgun. (Some people use a plastic bag to hold the shells, but I've heard of more use of the underwear if you ever need the gun.)

If I'm going for the shotgun, I'm in deep chit. They've gotten past my lights, alarm, dog (super good eared barker). It means I've already gotten my legally stored Massachusetts handgun out of its' little bedside safe, and I have have fought my way to the safe where I keep the long gun.

I'm too deaf to hear much of anything else. If someone racks the shotgun before shooting at me, I'd appreciate it. It's the only way I'd ever know where to shoot, especially in the dark, or while I'm in the room trying to get to the safe.

1. Go onto ITunes
2. Look up "The Pro Arms Podcast" http://proarmspodcast.com/
3. Download episode 17A and 17B "Homing in on the Defensive Shotgun"
4. Listen to what Massad Ayoob and company have to say about the subject.

They talk about everything related to a defense shotgun. Many things applicable to the comments found here. Be sure to listen to the part where they discuss racking as a "deterrent".

Anything but Mossberg.

What's so bad about it?

Yes. They'll all work. Whatever you choose, practice with it.

+1

Even hardcore gang-bangers won't tangle with a determined man with a "gauge".

[thinking]

If you need to scare off home invaders, I recommend 1 or more 'warning' shots to COM with #4 buck. That will scare off all but the most determined PCP addict.

Jim Cirillo didn't think so.

If you can't operate your HD weapon at zero-dark-thirty in your pjs, you don't have an HD weapon.

Agree 100%

Huh? Illegal?

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

There's no pre-ban Saiga mags that hold more than 5 rounds.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131m

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Meaning it's a felony.

If you train with your shotgun so little that pumping it is not a reflexive action, a semi auto won't do you much good either.

+1

1. Go onto ITunes
2. Look up "The Pro Arms Podcast" http://proarmspodcast.com/
3. Download episode 17A and 17B "Homing in on the Defensive Shotgun"
4. Listen to what Massad Ayoob and company have to say about the subject.

They talk about everything related to a defense shotgun. Many things applicable to the comments found here. Be sure to listen to the part where they discuss racking as a "deterrent".

And I will still roll me eyes.

If yo want the bad guy to wet himself as he hears you clanging and banging your way down the hall with that loose as a truckstop hooker Mossberg, then get a 500. they are reliable, sloppy but reliable.

Seriously! Have you ever shook one? I have had friends in my hunting party bring one of those rattle traps to the field, funnily the birds heard us coming.

if you want a smooth, closer tolerance well made unit, look around for an older "certified preowned" (I love that, and am going to use it in my next classified ad) 870 or benelli pump.

Just my 2 cents, Disclaimer: I do own 870 pumps but I hunt with an 1100 so what do i know.

if you want a smooth, closer tolerance well made unit, look around for an older "certified preowned" (I love that, and am going to use it in my next classified ad) 870 or benelli pump.

One advantage the Mossberg has over the 870 is that the elevator assembly isn't such a finely tuned part. I had timing problems on an 870 pump that had a lot of rounds through it, so every dozen or so rounds one wouldn't feed. That gun had a lot of rounds through it before that happened, but still, that was an unsettling problem to have in a SD gun.

Before anyone accuses me of being a closet Chinese communist Mossberg lover, I'm an 870 guy. [laugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom