pump or semi-auto for home defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. For a short period of time, due to a court decision in MA, that was true. But legislation was passed that changed that. See MGL Chapter 278 Section 8A:

Please reread this:

You are not expected to try to outrun a bullet.

I think you'll find that MA deadly force laws are similar to those in many states.

When did they pass the first motion you mentioned? recent?

Anybody who is in my house without my permission is an immediate threat to My loved One and Myself, I will act accordingly and blast that/those MFer/s. I'll deal with the consequences later, though I shouldn't have to. [frown]

Oh yeah, Timber's Avatar is very true. Been there, barely escaped with my life. But it was a great time. [smile][wink]

When did they pass the first motion you mentioned? recent?

No, not at all. The court case was Commonwealth v. Shaffer, 1975. IIRC, that was during one of Dukakis's terms, the law was passed in the next term, and Gov. King signed it.

That may be so in theory.

In practice, Massachusetts still sucks the big one when it comes to armed self defense.
Yes, there are a number of states that have passed "make my day" and "stand your ground" laws. But the majority of the states have not, and citizens who have used deadly force to defend themselves have been charged (and some convicted) of murder from NY to FL to CA. People have been Nifonged in most every state. Does that happen every time? No. Even here in MA, people have used deadly force and not been prosecuted. But it has happened.

Yes, MA laws suck. Yes, the MA judiciary is just as bad. But don't kid yourself that we're the only state like that. MA may not be the rule, but it also certainly isn't the exception when it comes to deadly force -- our deadly force law, in statute and in practice, is not much different than many other states.

You know, this type of reaction always surprises me. As gun owners, we keep and carry guns because we know that, while the odds are that we will be safe, that evil men do evil things. So we buy guns, get training, practice, and carry guns so that we are prepared in case the worst happens. We mock the sheep who think that nothing bad can ever happen to them because they are good people.

And yet many of us seem behave the very same way when it comes to the potential legal consequences. The chances are that we would be OK in the aftermath of a defensive shooting. But there is always the chance that some ambitious DA will be looking for their Great White Defendant to Nifong, and if we are not prepared for the worst that we will put ourselves straight in their crosshairs. And yet there are gun owners that seem to think that the responding officer will slap us on the back, hand us a cigar, say "good shoot" and drive off into the sunset. Those gun owners are whistling past the graveyard just as much as the suburban sheep who think nothing bad will ever happen to them.

Last edited:
Either way, buckshot usually ends most of these type conversations before they start.

Not in the NYPD Stakeout Squad's experience.

Because anyone can take a shit and stick a name on it, but what do you really have? A pile of shit called Mossberg.

tommy-boy-pic-1.jpg.bmp

Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

[laugh]

people doing simple b&e's aren't exactly the most savvy and intelligent criminals.

There's a guy sitting in a Mass. prison at the tail end of a 13 year prison sentence for a home invasion he did in Lowell. It was the wrong address, the guy got confused and thought it was the home of the drug dealer who'd ripped him off. He was furious when he found out it was the wrong house, so among other things, he threw an infant up against the wall and stole a VCR for his trouble. He was a vicious, skilled, experienced fighter who reacted in a calm and rehearsed manner when looking down the muzzle of the gun pointed at him.

That's odd I had one break when I was in junior high, 3 miles in to the woods on the opener of deer hunting. Imagine how happy I was. If the sound of the rattle trap of a shotgun didn't scare the deer away on my way in, my broken 12ga wasn't going to do anything to them any ways.

What part of the gun broke?

Don't count on dirt bags being afraid of a gun. Dopers may be too doped to realize or too hyped to care. Hard core dirt bags may have been shot in the past and just aren't scared.

Exactly.

Great post. Here's a thread where it was discussed in detail.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/102561-If-someone-breaks-in...

In short, it's only a recognized defense, and does not mean you won't be arrested, charged, and put in jail for a few years without bail while they sort things out in trial.

dudes who won't sit around parsing obscure laws when their life, or the life of their loved ones is in danger.

Oh crap.

I think you'll find that MA deadly force laws are similar to those in many states.

There's one huge difference. Mass. relies on precedent setting case law to spell out lawful use of force (aside from killing dogs). A ton of other states spell it out.

...And yet many of us seem behave the very same way when it comes to the potential legal consequences. The chances are that we would be OK in the aftermath of a defensive shooting. But there is always the chance that some ambitious DA will be looking for their Great White Defendant to Nifong, and if we are not prepared for the worst that we will put ourselves straight in their crosshairs. And yet there are gun owners that seem to think that the responding officer will slap us on the back, hand us a cigar, say "good shoot" and drive off into the sunset. Those gun owners are whistling past the graveyard just as much as the suburban sheep who think nothing bad will ever happen to them.

Agreed.

Amazing. 132 posts on HD shotgun, and no mention of gauge or ammo.

As to the self-defense defense, if the perp breaks through a locked door, e.g the bedroom door, to get to you, and he knows you're awake, you have a pretty good case that he intended harm you. Easy for couple; harder with kids in the house.

That may be so in theory.

In practice, Massachusetts still sucks the big one when it comes to armed self defense.

It's not so much the law that is entirely bad (it obviously needs serious improvements, though) but the fact that most of the DAs in MA are of the moonbat variety, and stupid non-incidents can result in losing your LTC due to the Suitability BS, due to bad chiefs pulling the whaambulance out on you.

It could be worse, a lot worse. Not all that long ago a cab driver shot some guy with a knife that stole 5 bucks from him. The jury acquitted him. A guy intervened and shot a psycho that was stabbing a doctor to death. He was not indicted or prosecuted. Not all that long ago a liquor store owner in Worcester? gunned down this thief who was threatening his brother with a gun. I don't think that ever made it into court, either. His shooting of the BG ended a huge chain of robberies in the area around here. MA is not a fun place to live, but this "you will lose automatically if you have to defend yourself with a firearm" mentality that's been going around is pure BS. Are there better states? No doubt.... but MA is likely hardly the worst.

The majority of states in the US do not have self defense laws that are as powerful and broad as those found in TX and FL. Most states fall far short of either of those two. Most of the rest of them are all tit for tat- one thing is better in one, another better in another. Most states have woefully inadequate self defense provisions, IMO. Most of the time the defender is not given enough benefit of the doubt, and there is often no implied right of self defense.... EG, many states force an "self defense is an affirmative defense to murder/manslaughter" type of deal instead of coming right out and saying that using deadly force in lawful self defense automatically precludes such charges from being placed. There is a big difference there, in terms of legalities.

-Mike

Last edited:
we traded. i'm in his now, and he's in mine. [laugh]

you have some good avatars.
....is that the LARPER dude who bugs out w/110lbs. of gear, humps 25mi per day & has his girlfriend cover the bedroom with a bushmaster while their dog is on stand-by?
[rofl]

+1
12ga. & #4 buck

ETA: How did you get "Timbers' avatar? [laugh]

I found it on the internet. Just like Timber found his.

I don't even own an AR...icky evil black rifles.

you have some good avatars.
....is that the LARPER dude who bugs out w/110lbs. of gear, humps 25mi per day & has his girlfriend cover the bedroom with a bushmaster while their dog is on stand-by?
[rofl]

I have a name, you know!

Most states have woefully inadequate self defense provisions, IMO. Most of the time the defender is not given enough benefit of the doubt, and there is often no implied right of self defense.... EG, many states force an "self defense is an affirmative defense to murder/manslaughter"
When it comes to self defense in the home or in the vehicle, mine spells it out very clearly and the playing field is definitely stacked up in favor of the defender.

Empty chamber, two snap caps, two rounds OO buck. that way after I yell " I have a gun!" and he takes it away from me, he'll be all confused and stuff when he racks a round in and it goes click. that will give me a chance to crap my pants twice when i hear the sound of him racking it twice, and then fight to get my gun back.

Apparently everyone has a problem with my idea on shotgun HD, but say it to me not to everyone, these indirect little stabs are weak.

I'll tell you right now, I'd be a hell of a lot less hesitant to put someone on ice if need be than 90% of this board, and that I'll put money on, so don't say well he'll take it away from me. Not even close. I've been in more potentially 'me or you walk away from this' encounters that I don't talk about than I know what to do with, and if you think for two seconds I have a problem making a drop on a scumbag, you're absolutely insane. Everyone here talks a big ass game, call people b.s. etc etc, I think it's hysterical to be honest, but I'll be honest I don't think 1/2 the people on this forum are who they say they are, stick by their convictions even half the time, and a few of them just play war-games in their head. I talk socially on this, I try to be friendly, and for some unapparent reason there's still these hecklers that won't quit because I've kept quiet when the comments came up.

I'm not trying to stir up problems, but this is maybe the fifth time I've bitten my tounge, and I'm not some internet tough guy, I look at this place is social, and I'm not simply directing this towards you, this goes for people in general on this that take miniature stabs and don't expect backlash because there's power in clicky numbers. I'm not the only one that keeps listening to these indirect pushes.

Again I don't want to start problems, not my intention, I like keeping this all friendly, but I just want the few people to know I'm done biting my tongue.

No one thinks you're an internet tough guy, actually more like a "I live in my mom's basement, playing video games, rocking out to death metal while dreaming of zombie invasions" kind of guy.

No one thinks you're an internet tough guy, actually more like a "I live in my mom's basement, playing video games, rocking out to death metal while dreaming of zombie invasions" kind of guy.

I live in a loft in lowell next to the tsongas feel free to come check it out, haven't lived with my parents since I was 18, I play video games, I listen to death metal, A zombie invasion would be a blast, and I bet if I go to the next nes event and you met me or just simply saw me, you wouldn't be so quick with the mouth. I've been nothing but respectful to the people on here, including yourself.

easy killer... i realized you were a switched on operator when you posted about screaming you had a gun while making "the scarriest sound in the world" by pumping your home defense gun.

my comment was general humor, incorporated several sources of idiocy -( the dope on youtube who recommended carrying unchambered with snap caps, the multiple dopes who think racking a pump is going to do anything other than give away your position), and wasn't directed at anyone in general. in fact, it was a direct response to a question about which home defense load to carry, and not at anything you'd written. just looking for a laugh.

Alright. My mistake at putting that in your direction.

How will I find you? Follow the sounds of Slayer? I'm getting close when I hear the Clickity clack of a shotgun? stop when I see lick marks on a window?

Gps or a map usually does the trick, or just go to the tsongas arena and look left if you're familiar with the area. Then just listen for death metal and look for the juice head with the shaved head and ink. I'm not hard to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom