• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Put Your Rally Photos Here

I am surprised the news hasn't reported about the "larger" ralley that was at the statehouse on Saturday put on by the African community. On a serious note, does anyone know what they were about? There was a group of maybe 30 of them to the way right (looking at the State House)?

What editing was done that required special software? Just upload the original file to youtube.

About 10 seconds of shaky unusable video. I'm a complete newbee when it comes to cell phones, social media and the like. If you handed me a cell phone I couldn't even text message anyone. In fact I just made my first YouTube account. I thought I should at least put a little effort into the video. Hopefully I'll post more presentable video's when my knowledge and skills in this field improve.

About 10 seconds of shaky unusable video. I'm a complete newbee when it comes to cell phones, social media and the like. If you handed me a cell phone I couldn't even text message anyone. In fact I just made my first YouTube account. I thought I should at least put a little effort into the video. Hopefully I'll post more presentable video's when my knowledge and skills in this field improve.

Shaky camera for 10 seconds is better than a massive watermark for 30 minutes. If you want to fix it just use youtube's free editing tools after you upload the original (non watermarked) file.

Shaky camera for 10 seconds is better than a massive watermark for 30 minutes. If you want to fix it just use youtube's free editing tools after you upload the original (non watermarked) file.

Well it was just pure happenstance that I downloaded the editor before making a YouTube account so I was unaware of editing tools YouTube provides. Your suggestion is duly noted. I might upload it again in the future.

Am I the only one who was disappointed with how many people left after 10am? I showed up at 10:15 when the rally was at its peak. And by 11 half of the crowd left. I get that we had to send the message before their session. But if more people stayed the news wouldn't have butchered it all.

Regardless. It was great. Awesome turnout but there definitely could have been more with how many gun owners are here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the podium should be left open and speakers get into a line. i don't understand why the whole thing was shutdown at 11AM. i think this highlights GOAL's good intentions and shortage of strategy.

the podium should be left open and speakers get into a line. i don't understand why the whole thing was shutdown at 11AM. i think this highlights GOAL's good intentions and shortage of strategy.

There's a risk to that. If you go see the diversity of opinion in other threads, there's a real chance that someone that it quite sincere, but "off message" could get an unfortunate sound-bite.

There's a reason that Jim Wallace et al wore "respectable" clothing. A tactical vest, or a tee-shirt with an edgy-to-the-uninformed message can become "the message."

There's a risk to that. If you go see the diversity of opinion in other threads, there's a real chance that someone that it quite sincere, but "off message" could get an unfortunate sound-bite.

There's a reason that Jim Wallace et al wore "respectable" clothing. A tactical vest, or a tee-shirt with an edgy-to-the-uninformed message can become "the message."

It *will be* the message, given a press that's bound and determined to portray us in the worst possible light.

Here's my take. This is just one person's opinion. I am not an expert on rallies, or protests, or organizing, but this is what I've come up with after thinking about this a little.

A lot of this list is based on the idea that normally, most of us don't care too much what other people think--but that these rallies and protests are one place where we should. We are trying to win over people who are outside our group to our way of thinking. And that means that the image we project is important.

1. Dress "business casual" or nicer. We're trying to convince people who are not necessarily with us that we're nice, normal folks who go to the range on Saturday afternoon rather than playing a couple of sets of tennis or playing a round of golf. Wearing khaki 5.11 tactical pants and a "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" t-shirt does not reinforce that notion. I was there in a suit and tie despite the predicted extreme-for-Boston heat and humidity. Men should at least wear slacks and a polo shirt or button-up "business" shirt, if they can.
  2. Use correct grammar and spelling on signs. Part of the anti- narrative is that we're unintelligent, uneducated, and generally low-information. Signs with spelling and grammatical mistakes reinforce that narrative. Put some thought into things like penmanship and appearance, too. This is a place where good workmanship and putting forth a good impression counts.
  3. Think about what your signs, t-shirts, etc., might telegraph to "outsiders". The guy with "MY RIGHTS TRUMP YOUR DEAD" on a sign in particular made me cringe--and, in fact, he ended up plastered all over various anti-gun blogs and news media as supposed "evidence" of how "violent" and "extremist" 2A supporters are.
  4. Avoid signs or chants that threaten violence or violent action, even if the intent is humorous. I admit, I chuckled at "Healey For Harbor"--but think about it, even if it's humorous, you're advocating violence against a sitting public official. Someone somewhere isn't going to think that's funny, and is going to consider it further "evidence" of what they see as gun owners' "extremism" and "violent nature." Again, that's reinforcing the anti- narrative. We're here to use the first box of freedom, not the fourth.
  5. Stay on-message. Avoid "issue bundling." This is not the time to talk about what bathroom a transgender woman should use, abortion, immigration policy, same-sex marriage, or anything else to do with conservative politics. Not everyone who is pro-2A is on board with other forms of conservatism, nor is everyone who is pro-2A a Republican. Especially in Massachusetts, which is overwhelmingly Democratic, we need to be bipartisan in our efforts, and get Democrats who might be pro-2A to support us. We certainly can't afford to alienate anyone who might become a potential supporter.
  6. Leave AG Healey's sexual orientation out of it. It's a cheap shot, an ad hominem attack, and makes us look like homophobes and idiots who can't mount a decent argument based on real facts.

Forgot to post this one.

FC958603-2EBD-4457-9435-4E6453199B06.jpg

I tried to get a panorama of the crowd on the opposite side but never had a chance that wasn't blocked by cars going by.

It *

1. Dress "business casual" or nicer.

1. I disagree. If you're a hipster, dress like you normally dress. If you're a flamboyant gay, dress like you normally dress. If you're a hoodrat, dress like you normally dress. 2A doesnt discriminate. The 2A community is very diverse. Show the diversity.

It *will be* the message, given a press that's bound and determined to portray us in the worst possible light.

Here's my take. This is just one person's opinion. I am not an expert on rallies, or protests, or organizing, but this is what I've come up with after thinking about this a little.

A lot of this list is based on the idea that normally, most of us don't care too much what other people think--but that these rallies and protests are one place where we should. We are trying to win over people who are outside our group to our way of thinking. And that means that the image we project is important.

1. Dress "business casual" or nicer. We're trying to convince people who are not necessarily with us that we're nice, normal folks who go to the range on Saturday afternoon rather than playing a couple of sets of tennis or playing a round of golf. Wearing khaki 5.11 tactical pants and a "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" t-shirt does not reinforce that notion. I was there in a suit and tie despite the predicted extreme-for-Boston heat and humidity. Men should at least wear slacks and a polo shirt or button-up "business" shirt, if they can.
  2. Use correct grammar and spelling on signs. Part of the anti- narrative is that we're unintelligent, uneducated, and generally low-information. Signs with spelling and grammatical mistakes reinforce that narrative. Put some thought into things like penmanship and appearance, too. This is a place where good workmanship and putting forth a good impression counts.
  3. Think about what your signs, t-shirts, etc., might telegraph to "outsiders". The guy with "MY RIGHTS TRUMP YOUR DEAD" on a sign in particular made me cringe--and, in fact, he ended up plastered all over various anti-gun blogs and news media as supposed "evidence" of how "violent" and "extremist" 2A supporters are.
  4. Avoid signs or chants that threaten violence or violent action, even if the intent is humorous. I admit, I chuckled at "Healey For Harbor"--but think about it, even if it's humorous, you're advocating violence against a sitting public official. Someone somewhere isn't going to think that's funny, and is going to consider it further "evidence" of what they see as gun owners' "extremism" and "violent nature." Again, that's reinforcing the anti- narrative. We're here to use the first box of freedom, not the fourth.
  5. Stay on-message. Avoid "issue bundling." This is not the time to talk about what bathroom a transgender woman should use, abortion, immigration policy, same-sex marriage, or anything else to do with conservative politics. Not everyone who is pro-2A is on board with other forms of conservatism, nor is everyone who is pro-2A a Republican. Especially in Massachusetts, which is overwhelmingly Democratic, we need to be bipartisan in our efforts, and get Democrats who might be pro-2A to support us. We certainly can't afford to alienate anyone who might become a potential supporter.
  6. Leave AG Healey's sexual orientation out of it. It's a cheap shot, an ad hominem attack, and makes us look like homophobes and idiots who can't mount a decent argument based on real facts.

Very well said. PERCEPTION is everything. And in a battle like this more important than ever!!!!!

I disagree. If you're a hipster, dress like you normally dress. If you're a flamboyant gay, dress like you normally dress. If you're a hoodrat, dress like you normally dress. 2A doesnt discriminate. The 2A community is very diverse. Show the diversity.

BullS%^t.... Best to look professional, and try to show these liberals that we are "normal"...

my .o2.....

BullS%^t.... Best to look professional, and try to show these liberals that we are "normal"...

my .o2.....

Normal people dont wear business casual everyday. Normal people wear what they wear everyday. Nothing shows how detached the 2A community is from everyday people than everybody wearing business clothes.

The left paints gun owners as conservative white people. Although not a lie, it's not the whole truth. Show the left THE OTHER SIDE of gun owners.

I agree perception is everything ,you don't have to wear a suit, just dress like everyday Joe Citizen.
Clean ,neat and ,not Like Rambo. We don't want to look like undesirables that shouldn't be armed.
Think like an off duty Police Officer would dress. So as not to call attention to your looks but at tension to your Cause.

Thanks!

You dont look like somebody who knows wa gwan

Mi high colour an half caste. There are more white Jamaicans than you think, Cho!

I thought it was hysterical that there were journalist everywhere speaking with the protesters and one guy was walking around with a WCVB microphone and nobody was speaking to him. He looked at me when I was done with Tiffany Chan and I just shook my head. Screw Bill Fine!

Last edited:
NECN reported thousands (which I believe to be correct), CBS and The Boston Channel report hundreds. The Boston Channel of course tried to downplays the rally today so they show a 55 seconds clip from their chopper. Problem is the chopper footage was taken very early, when people started gathering at the state house, not from around 10 am. Typical liberal communist media.
They actually flew over about 2:30. 4 1/2 hours after it was scheduled to kick off. I can see myself in the overhead (blue hat w/red bill @ the curb) and did not arrive until 9:40.

At the time I watched the helo flying overhead, I thought to myself, "What horse $#it. They're going to run this late footage to downplay the size of the crowd."

Guess I was right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

i can only speak for myself when i say this...but i was thinking about how i should dress before heading out to the rally...ultimately i decided to wear a graphic tee and my chino shorts. Vans. and my patriots hat. thats my normal weekend summer attire. now i dk if anyone looks at me and thinks 'wow look at this *******...looking...normal.' or whatever but i didn't get that feeling being at the rally.

regardless, i was disappointed with SOME of the dress that was there. but a small amount. people wearing cutoffs and such. i saw more people at the rally wearing what i call, 'normal' new englander summer clothes than people wearing golf shorts and polos. (not that this is not normal) honestly i was kind of wondering if i was going to be shunned by the NES crowd for wearing my normal clothes. IMO, if you're going to the rally...dress decent and act PROFESSIONAL. As much as i wanted to discriminate the AG in front of passerby's i tried to display a more positive message.

i dk. I'm still new to rallying. i enjoyed it. and i was also seen in WCVB's bits a few times. i too saw the Helo fly over and thought 'well thats some horse shit.' If they saw the rally at 10:15am you'd see a sea of people.

Normal people dont wear business casual everyday. Normal people wear what they wear everyday. Nothing shows how detached the 2A community is from everyday people than everybody wearing business clothes.

I think I fall in this camp. Everyone in business casual helps to re-enforce the stereotype that gun ownership exclusively is a middle class white guy thing. If thats who you are and how you would dress on the average day, there's nothing wrong with that. If youre a t-shirt and jeans guy, go with it. Dress however you would dress for whatever the occasion is. Rally, meeting with your state rep, event at the range, whatever.

Dress however you would dress for whatever the occasion is. Rally, meeting with your state rep, event at the range, whatever.

A rally, meeting a state rep, and an event at the range all would be different outfits for me. Same with going to a beach, going to a wedding, going to court, etc. That's where the confusion arises. Is a rally a casual event, or are we trying to present a good image. I don't think "middle class white guy" is the stereotype we're trying to fight. It's the "middle aged redneck" that appears to be our image problem.

Back
Top Bottom