question about form 4

Ok just started to look over form 4 and had a question about section 15 (transferee certification). What are acceptible reasons and also what does the phrase ( my posssesion of the device or weapon would be consistent with public safety) mean ??????? Also I am buying a sbr that has already been made (factory) with 11.5 barrel, but would also like 10.5 barrel or shorter !!!!!! If this is the case can I register it with the shorter barrel or would I need to use form 1 to do this??? Any help would be great.

thanks L J886

I think in order to do the shorter barrel you need to register it with the shortest barrel you plan on using. It's my understanding that if you regster it with say a 7" barrel and overall length of 21", you can put anything longer because you're still within what you registered for. However, if you register it at 11.5" and overall length of 25", you'd be in violation since the gun would be shorter than what you registered.

I was told today that as long as rec. is registered SBR with 11.5 barrel I could put any leng barrel on it as long as I did not leave it on perm. It does not matter longer or shorter than the registered length. I was also told to measure with stock all the way extended?????? Does this sound right to anyone ??????

thanks jim

Other way around, all the way collapsed.

Um, ATF measures with stock in its longest position.

27 CFR 479.11 defines a Firearm, in part...

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

In a letter dated early in 2008 from Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch, John R Spencer...

Based on this description of overall length and its correct measurement, ATF has taken the position that firearms having folding or collapsible stocks are properly measured for overall length with the stock fully extended.

If you're in a state where there is local law to the contrary, such as California, measure with the stock in the fully open position, and even in such a state, when dealing with the ATF, measure with the stock in the fully open position.

--EasyD

Last edited:
EasyD,

If you measured with the stock fully extended at say 24", then built the SBR but decided you didn't want the stock extended and you wanted it collapsed making it an overall of 21" wouldn't you be in violation of what you registered? That just doesn't make sense to me.

EasyD,

If you measured with the stock fully extended at say 24", then built the SBR but decided you didn't want the stock extended and you wanted it collapsed making it an overall of 21" wouldn't you be in violation of what you registered? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Nope...

The ATF only really cares about permanent changes to the configuration. Caliber, barrel length and overall length can all be changed temporarily without notification. With an AR style rifle, what exactly is a permanent change is certainly up for debate. I would say there is no such thing, and as long as you can restore the rifle to the configuration you have it registered as, you're OK. If you register it with a 10.5 inch barrel, I would say you should have a 10.5 inch barrel on hand. If you sell off the 10.5 inch upper, and only have your 14.5 inch one left, you might consider notifying ATF of the change.

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom