Lets see. NON Guided Moose HUnt

Moose Lottery Tickets. $22

Moose Permit

Resident - $52.00
Nonresident - $477.00

Hunting Licence
Hunting (16 years and older) - $21.00
Big Game Hunting (16 years and older) - $102.00

8 days at a Cabin $1000 but you can divy it up if you have multiple people that pay.

Food $25 to $50 per day depending on what you like to eat 50x8=$400

fuel Right now diesil for my pickup truck is $3.61 per gallon. I burned about 200 gallons on my last moose hunting trip

Gasoline for my AtV $100.

2 boxes of .340 mag cost $80 per box

Moose Call $39

4 bottles of Moose scents @ $10 per bottle $40

Topograpical Maps $20 each I bought 2 for the area I was hunting

It adds up quick

Butcher 70 cents per pound

OK I missed by a few bucks.

Deer Hunting/ Duck Hunting: I just walk out the Back door and it still costs me money.

If your going to do a fully guided American Plan Big Game trip it will cost a lot of money. I did not even get into buying special clothing or firearms for the trips and all the other crap.

Its just like fishing. Sure you can use a cane pole and string for crappies in your local pond but if you want to fish Bluefin Tuna. Be preparred to lay out a few thousand dollars for a days fishing.

Thas why Moose/Elk Buffalo Meat costs $20 per pound if you can find it and whay the Japs pay $25 per pound for Bluefin Tuna.

Last edited:
Heh. You put far more into it than anyone I know. Last time I went I think I paid for gas and under a hundred bucks for food. I've also never paid a butcher .70/lb, even when I was to lazy to butcher an animal myself.

The bottom line is, you can spend THOUSANDS if you want to, but you can easily get away with it for almost nothing.

Heh. You put far more into it than anyone I know. Last time I went I think I paid for gas and under a hundred bucks for food. I've also never paid a butcher .70/lb, even when I was to lazy to butcher an animal myself.

The bottom line is, you can spend THOUSANDS if you want to, but you can easily get away with it for almost nothing.

+1 I know you're a guide and all and have to justify the cost of a guided hunt, but I've never paid any where near that in a cost of any big game hunt.

ETA: I could have taken a Moose like 8 other guys did just down the road from me for the cost of the license/lottery and ammo.

Lottery Zones

How did you get the Fish & Game to pick a lottery zone ticket in the zone you live in?

The odds of getting picked for a permit are just as bad as winning Megabucks. Getting picked for the zone you live in? You should go to Foxwoods today!

My boy was picked this past season for Aroostock County which is a 6 hour drive one way for me. Funny. Two guys were picked in the town we hunted in and they were picked for zones all the way across the state in other directions.

And yes there is allways those same families that get picked every single year in the same towns they live in. One year its the dad, the next year its tha unckle, the next year there in tha kids and a lot of years its 3 or 4 of them. Whats up with that?

I think a lot of people underestimate the actual costs of things. Just like the shitheads that say they can make money snowplowing by charging $25 to do a driveway. Think about that. Add your truck payment, plow payment, insurance, fuel, maintaince and your time plowing, billing and bookeepingand see it your not losing money. That truck and plow and tires will all need to be replaced in a couple of years and unckle sam only gives you just so much you can depreciate

OK: Lets all enter the Lottery and do a shoestring Budget MOOSE Hunt.

Last edited:
And yes there is allways those same families that get picked every single year in the same towns they live in. One year its the dad, the next year its tha unckle, the next year there in tha kids and a lot of years its 3 or 4 of them. Whats up with that?

Sounds like something that would happen in MA.

I think a lot of people underestimate the actual costs of things. Just like the shitheads that say they can make money snowplowing by charging $25 to do a driveway. Think about that. Add your truck payment, plow payment, insurance, fuel, maintaince and your time plowing, billing and bookeepingand see it your not losing money. That truck and plow and tires will all need to be replaced in a couple of years and unckle sam only gives you just so much you can depreciate

Volume man. My plow guy charges me $25 and he has 70 accounts.

$1750 a night and he's plowed everyone 4 times in the past 3 weeks.

$7000 this month might cover everything. [grin]

Volume! Thats the ticket

lets see. 60 mins in an hour 24 hours in a day. thats 1440 mins possible in a day

so ifin I take 15 min to drive to the location Im gonna plow and 15 mins to plow it and then do this 70 times in a day.... let see. If I don sleep and I dont eat and I dont bring the kid to scool or get fuell or any of that other stuff......

Yea Now I see. Thats only 2100 mins in a day . So thats how they make money!

mrplow.gif

I better run back and let the old Economics professers know about this. lets see. If I buy a truck load of pickels and leave them in the Sierra Mountains till springtime, then I get a truckload of Frozzen Pickles right?

I quote each job individually and access the risk. Dirt driveway? Shear Cliff on one side and Swamp on the Other? Is it a 30 degree incline? Are there Marble Lions Guarding the entrance? Do you have 6 cars in the Drive, do you have fuel pumps in the parking lot? etc......etc....

Last edited:
You're right, the guy must be lying to me. [rolleyes]

15 minutes to plow a drive way? What are you using a tooth brush? My drive way is 60 yards long and it takes him about 5 mins tops to do it.

What were you trying to charge?

Back to the MOOSE!

Somehow we fell off of the subject?

tennis_court_burj_al_arab_hotel.jpg

Back to the MOOSE!

We could shoot them with paintballs just to piss them off and practice Moose hunting.
how fast can you run in snowshoes?

Last edited:
You're right, the guy must be lying to me. [rolleyes]

15 minutes to plow a drive way? What are you using a tooth brush? My drive way is 60 yards long and it takes him about 5 mins tops to do it.

What were you trying to charge?

My brother plows in Maine. He charges as little as 15 bucks for a small driveway. He makes a fortune. I'll have to tell him he's really losing his shirt.

My brother plows in Maine. He charges as little as 15 bucks for a small driveway. He makes a fortune. I'll have to tell him he's really losing his shirt.

Lets see:
new 3/4 ton pickup truck with diesl $45,000 ( I just checked New Dealer listings and the $45K was with Gas) The Diesil is over $50K

8 ft Plow setup $3,500
Light Bar $500
Decent snow tires:$800
Excise tax
Sales Tax
Diesil Fuel @$3.60 per gallon. But you do get 10 MPG when your plowing!
Your Time: Worthless I guess?

$15 Payoff: PRICELESS[rolleyes]

OK This is a MOOSE HUNTING Discussion

RE209_truck_mag.jpg

Moose Cabins: Yes there are many Cabins that cost less than $1,000 for a week.. But thats what we paid for a nice place with accomidations for 8 to 10 people on the lake with full amenities to please the wives. Cable TV/Internet,jacuzzi, 2 baths yada...yada....The hot showers were nice

Next Moose hunting trip. I plan on getting a tent or a camper.

Last edited:
Lets see:
new pickup truck with diesl $45,000
Plow setup $3,500
Light Bar $500
Decent snow tires:$800
Excise tax
Sales Tax
Fuel @$3.60 per gallon. But you do get 10 MPG when your plowing!
Your Time: Worthless I guess?

$15 Payoff: PRICELESS[rolleyes]

OK This is a MOOSE HUNTING Discussion

RE209_truck_mag.jpg

Moose Cabins: Yes there are many Cabins that cost less than $1,000 for a week.. But thats what we paid for a nice place with accomidations for 8 to 10 people on the lake with full amenities to please the wives. Cable TV/Internet,jacuzzi, 2 baths yada...yada....The hot showers were nice

Next Moose hunting trip. I plan on getting a tent or a camper.

So now we've reached the root of the discussion. It costs YOU a lot to participate in a moose hunt. Many of us just get the basics to hunt, and do it for almost nothing. You're pricing analogies are skewed as well. My brother's truck wasn't even close to 45k. Additionally, he didn't buy a truck for plowing only. It's his truck. He goes to the store with it. Hunts with it. It's his only vehicle. The % used for business isn't 100. He also doesn't charge 15 bucks for every driveway he plows. Many of them are one or two pass pull ins. It literally takes under 60 seconds to plow the whole driveway.

People can skew numbers any way they'd like. The bottom line is you spend as much as you'd like to. Pay for my permits, grab my rifle (already owned) and ammo (already owned), load my hunting gear (already owned) into my camper (borrowed)or stay in the hotel (roach) and spend a little more on food than I normally would have at home.

I don't have a concern using a 270 Winchester to kill a moose. A 150 or 160 grain Nosler Partition, 150 gr Swift A Frame, or 140 gr Barnes Triple Shock will get r done.

I took a moose with a .280 Rem w/ Barnes 175 gr. X, and I've seen a buddy hit one solidly with a .375 H&H and it got away. Sometimes they don't know they're hit and sometimes they fall like a rock.
Shot placement is key, but check what shock/damage etc... the bullet will do and use the most violent one. Can't skimp on ammo.

If I had to or the opportunity presented itself with a good, clean, not too far shot, I would do it; especially if it were a survival type situation.

If I were going out specifically on a moose hunt, I'd opt for something bigger. If I hunted moose all the time, I'd probably have a .300 Win. Mag. or something like that. I guess it all depends on the situation.

I'm surprised the .35 Rem is on the no-go list. The .444 Marlin would be a good one also. How about 12 ga slug?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom