QUESTIONS ON FFL / GUNSMITHING LICENSE

You need to have a storefront. You don't need the class to get an FFL. Once you've put in the time to get a storefront and the proper licenses, getting the FFL is the easy part. As for 'smithing classes, if you don't know how to fix/customize firearms you'll want more training than just that.

You need to have a storefront. You don't need the class to get an FFL. Once you've put in the time to get a storefront and the proper licenses, getting the FFL is the easy part. As for 'smithing classes, if you don't know how to fix/customize firearms you'll want more training than just that.

+1 IMHO unless you have a background in precision metalworking, are used to reading prints, and engineering one off parts and such, an online only course while possibly providing lots of great information and a decent foundation will not likely make you a competent gunsmith.

thanks for the reply

But My question didnt really get answered. do you have your ffl license ? how did you get it ? did you take a class ? are you familar with the online class thru Phonex University ? Did you have a chance to review the links. Again Thanks for your input !

Start by obtaining and studying the Federal Firearms Regulations and the state laws. Only about 675 pages! Or look online. Jack.

storefront ?

Why do you need a storefront. If you form a s- corp, you could work from your gargage. I whole reason for the questions if with the ban being proposed from obama, this is a way of protecting your right to carry and keep your collection.

Did you have a chance to look at the links. ITs all explained in the links, But I dont believe everything i read so I am tryting to reach out to the NES community to get feedback.

Thanks for your input !

Why do you need a storefront.
Because the ATF says you do.

If you form a s- corp, you could work from your gargage.
ATF won't give you an 01-FFL if you are working from your garage.

1) You don't need to take a course to get a "gun collector's license." You can get a C&R FFL directly from the ATF without any problem. Anyone trying to get you to pay money to get one is a crook. A gun collector's license (aka C&R FFL, aka 03-FFL) won't let you be a gunsmith.

2) Those web sites are simply ways to separate you from your hard earned money.

3) You can't learn how to be a gunsmith from a video.

Last edited:
This is not legal advice. Just my take based on 27 years as a 01, 07, 03 FFL. I have the 07 FFL and tax stamp now. I have a location in an industrial zone. This satisfies Mass. as to the state dealer license. With the 07 FFL you get dealer priviledges. You can do or make whatever you want or not. YOU DO NOT GET THE FFL JUST TO ENHANCE A PERSONAL COLLECTION, ESPECIALLY NFA ITEMS WHERE YOU AVOID THE TRANSFER TAXES. This is tax evasion. Big penalties. Again, the only way to go into this is to first become very familiar with all the laws, rules and regulations. Advice and speculation can cost you big time. Unless you want to commit to full compliance on all fronts, this is not a great idea. Jack

But My question didnt really get answered. do you have your ffl license ? how did you get it ? did you take a class ? are you familar with the online class thru Phonex University ? Did you have a chance to review the links. Again Thanks for your input !

My dad was an 01 FFL for over 15 years before he decided to go in a different direction for business, so I do understand the requirements as I largely was responsible for keeping him up to date. In the past, ATF would issue the licenses and as long as you had all your paperwork in order and did some transfers, they'd leave it alone. Not since the Clinton years, though.

If you take an online gunsmithing course and consider yourself a gunsmith... well... good luck with that. I wouldn't let someone like that touch my guns until he'd had a chance to ruin a few dozen guns belonging to others... Quite frankly, I'd be leery of trusting anyone with any degree from an online diploma mill.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input ! I understand the whole process , and I assumed that the online thing was a scam.

Because the ATF says you do.

ATF won't give you an 01-FFL if you are working from your garage.

1) You don't need to take a course to get a "gun collector's license." You can get a C&R FFL directly from the ATF without any problem. Anyone trying to get you to pay money to get one is a crook. A gun collector's license (aka C&R FFL, aka 03-FFL) won't let you be a gunsmith.

2) Those web sites are simply ways to separate you from your hard earned money.

3) You can't learn how to be a gunsmith from a video.

thanks for the reply

Thanks for your information ![grin]

My dad was an 01 FFL for over 15 years before he decided to go in a different direction for business, so I do understand the requirements as I largely was responsible for keeping him up to date. In the past, ATF would issue the licenses and as long as you had all your paperwork in order and did some transfers, they'd leave it alone. Not since the Clinton years, though.

If you take an online gunsmithing course and consider yourself a gunsmith... well... good luck with that. I wouldn't let someone like that touch my guns until he'd had a chance to ruin a few dozen guns belonging to others... Quite frankly, I'd be leery of trusting anyone with any degree from an online diploma mill.

27 years wow

Hey Thanks for sharing that with me, I totally appreciate your 27 years of experience and value your opinon. Thats why I reached out to old sages like yourself to steer me in the right directions , Thanks again.

This is not legal advice. Just my take based on 27 years as a 01, 07, 03 FFL. I have the 07 FFL and tax stamp now. I have a location in an industrial zone. This satisfies Mass. as to the state dealer license. With the 07 FFL you get dealer priviledges. You can do or make whatever you want or not. YOU DO NOT GET THE FFL JUST TO ENHANCE A PERSONAL COLLECTION, ESPECIALLY NFA ITEMS WHERE YOU AVOID THE TRANSFER TAXES. This is tax evasion. Big penalties. Again, the only way to go into this is to first become very familiar with all the laws, rules and regulations. Advice and speculation can cost you big time. Unless you want to commit to full compliance on all fronts, this is not a great idea. Jack

In regards to practicing gunsmithing what you could do is buy some old clunker guns and try doing some basic smithing on them. Shotgun News often has some handy articles on gunsmithing projects and other things. Perhaps get a few of those mags and pick a couple of the projects and try your hand at a few either for dummy guns or making a functional firearm. Keep it legal of course.

Why do you need a storefront. If you form a s- corp, you could work from your gargage.

Because your Type 01 FFL application WILL FAIL in MA if you don't have your ducks perfectly in a row.

The first thing is commercial (or equivalent) zoning and a building that is not touching a dwelling. Then there's other crap to deal with from there. (MA
dealer licensing, any occupancy/business permits, etc. )

Profit motive. You need to show that you intend to run a real business. If this is lackluster, fail.

If you cant satisfy at least those things, then forget it. A few eons ago the "Type 01 FFL in the basement" thing worked in MA, but not anymore.

ETA: FWIW, getting a Type 01 isn't impossible, but it's a lot more intimidating that you have probably been lead to believe it is, especially in MA where
there is an extra layer of bullshit. In a lot of other states the local requirements are a lot simpler.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom