Rabbit hunting in MA.

The season for rabbit opens here in two weeks or so, and I'm prepping to go out.

Does anyone know of any good places in Mass, not terribly far from Wilmington? I was originally planning to hunt in Harold Parker, but from the bit of scouting I've done so far I've seen no rabbits and don't really think the terrain suits them too well there.

No fields

I know zero about rabbit hunting, butI've gone into a few of the State Parks on the North Shore and they don't seem to have many fields.

Ask the staff at Harold Parker for a suggestion. They may send you to an area they recently clear cut (there is one), or across the Street to the old quarry. Look into Martin Burns Reservation, Rte 95 at exit 55, West Newbury, which has a huge clearcut area.

I think I've only ever seen 1 wild rabit in MA. But I've been pondering rabbit hunting (Sorry Dave, may the Mods forgive me!). I wonder if the resurgence of Coyote in MA has them on the decline?

Try looking at the WMA's on google maps in the satelite view and look for likely habitat. Some quality time with a good usgs topo and that should be a good start. The suggestion of clear cut areas is a good one. Something 1-2 years old, not newly cut. There are some in the WMA in Winchendon.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

ETA: my interest was piqued because my wife gave me a cookbook by Jamie Oliver, who has a great show in the Food Network called "Jamie at Home". He has a section in there on cooking game animals (he's a hunter himself) and love rabbit. His show is the only one I've ever seen rabit cooked on.

Last edited:
I see tons of wild rabbit, but never in hunting zones. It's odd.

I will however, do some looking around, and will report back if I find anything. In the meantime... if anyone else has any suggestions, let me know.

I have seen many rabbits hanging around near my apartment.

I have also sighted rabbit in Bolton Flats WMA (there are fields there) and also Westboro WMA.

Back
Top Bottom