Random Weirdo

So I'm coming out of the grocery store on Sunday. It's 8:30 at night and I'm wearing a t-shirt with something shooting related. As I'm in the door leaving a guy yells out "EXCUSE ME SIR" and mentions my t-shirt. He says that he is an NRA instructor and he begins to chat me up... well he is not really an instructor yet, he is waiting on the paperwork, but he wants to know if I'm interested in INSTRUCTION! [laugh]

Seriously dude, go hump someone else's leg! I told him to google the club and send an e-mail to the secretary and ask to be added to the list of NRA instructors that offer training. My t-shirt had "High Power Rifle Team" on it, not "NooB to GuNs." I tried to be polite.

As I'm walking away he yells out to me that he worked for Bushmaster. Wow that is frigging AWESOME! Holy shit I can hardly contain myself, wait one and let me get my i-Pad so I can add you to my spreadsheet of clueless DILDOS that work there.

I had a splitting head ache from my four year old and my weekend of happy happy family camping trip and I have a looser that is waiting on paperwork and wants to instruct me. Is it me or is it inappropriate to ambush someone?

B

Last edited:
Next thing you know he will tell you not to call guns "weapons"........

Because the NRA book says so, mmkay?

bpm,

It is just random bad luck.
The fellow could have met someone nice and had a pleasant conversation about shooting, maybe even found a new friend in the shooting sports.

Jack

It's always Tshirts and uniforms that attract them. Just wear a plain, neutral colored Tshirt and you are invisible to the whackos of the world. I'm not even being sarcastic, this is from experience and I always wear a white T when we are going to Walmart so nobody bothers me.

Brian, you should have said: "Do you know who I am?" [smile]

But seriously, you could have rattled off the credentials; Distinguished High master, bla, bla, bla,.. but it would have gone over his head. He probably just got his certification and was excited and wanted to share.

What exactly are NRA "instructors" teaching other than basic firearms safety and operation?

I'm sure he was just over enthusiastic. It was odd though, no mention of what type, just "INSTRUCTION". At least I didn't see him in produce and have to endure the "are your cantaloupes fresh?" [shocked] segway into his HSLD tactical operator phase one training.

B

Last edited:
Brian, you should have said: "Do you know who I am?" [smile]

That line belongs to the senior senator from Massachusetts. Wouldn't want to steal it. [laugh]

Funny thing is that I'm actually looking for a home firearms course to take with my wife.

B

I was letting a friend try out one of my .500s at his range in NH. He brought some factory ammo to shoot.

A guy walked up to us and started telling me that I should reload if I'm going to be shooting a lot of .500 Magnum, then started giving me all kinds of pointers on reloading it. He even told me about this website that had 'lot's of good info'.

It's my website.

I was letting a friend try out one of my .500s at his range in NH. He brought some factory ammo to shoot.

A guy walked up to us and started telling me that I should reload if I'm going to be shooting a lot of .500 Magnum, then started giving me all kinds of pointers on reloading it. He even told me about this website that had 'lot's of good info'.

It's my website.

Excellent. [smile]

It's my website.

I love it when that happens! Btw, that Tyrannosaurus load is NVTS! I always read about it and it's quite impressive to actually see the bullethead used.

I'm sitting in my office at the mill right now with a Stag Arms T shirt on. Never a comment from any of my 60 tenants. They are used to that and also to all the pics of deer, moose, bears and fish that have been "harvested" over the years. Jack.

Next thing you know he will tell you not to call guns "weapons"........

Because the NRA book says so, mmkay?

I still couldn't figure out exactly what that was supposed to accomplish... just kept my mouth shut and didn't say the word "weapon" all weekend.
noclue.gif

I love it when that happens! Btw, that Tyrannosaurus load is NVTS! I always read about it and it's quite impressive to actually see the bullethead used.

"bullethead"????? You mean "bullet"?

Had a guy come up to me and ask if my friend and myself wanted to take his NRA course rite in the middle of me giving my friend the shooting portion of mine. [laugh] Timing is everything, but I suppose successful business must take it's leads wherever it can get them.

"bullethead"????? You mean "bullet"?

No, I think that he meant Heads. Keith and I get in to fights all the time about that...but I call them heads as well. It was used quite often in the South...and as it's taught in Interpersonal Communtiations classes in College...if more than five people use the word, it's a valid word in the the language used.

And I think that the point of not calling it a weapon is to keep it all fuzzy bunny happy. I just choose to use the word firearm because that's what it is. I also call a hammer a hammer and a knife a knife...though they are also weapons. I find the word weapon too general and would rather use the word for what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
When I got into shooting/reloading back in the mid-1970s, fellow shooters and dealers who sold in bulk referred to them as "heads" as well.

NRA is a FUDD organization, BUT they are deep into politics and it sounds more PC to use "firearm" than "W" and thus they have declared on high that the "W" word NOT be used by any NRA Certified Instructor.

Considering that all that they are teaching are basic courses, more suitable for gallery/bullseye/match shooting than for self-defense, I can understand their point.

The military and LE on the other hand teach shooting skills for a totally different purpose and thus use the W word to reflect that. Taking an NRA Instructors course with Mil/LE folks is a "fun time" as they keep using the forbidden word and contribute to the "W" donation bucket.

No, I think that he meant Heads. Keith and I get in to fights all the time about that...but I call them heads as well. It was used quite often in the South...and as it's taught in Interpersonal Communtiations classes in College...if more than five people use the word, it's a valid word in the the language used.

Uh-huh. Show me what reloading supplier calls them "bulletheads".

From Dictionary.com:

bul·let·head
   /ˈbʊlɪtˌhɛd/ Show Spelled[bool-it-hed] Show IPA
–noun
1. a head considered similar in shape to a bullet, as that of a person with a high, domelike forehead and cranium and short hair.
2. a person having such a head.
3. an obstinate or stupid person.

And I think that the point of not calling it a weapon is to keep it all fuzzy bunny happy.

sigh.gif
I know, but... a lot of folks get a firearm BECAUSE it's a weapon, and they want a weapon to use in self-defense.

Don't get me wrong; when I start teaching I won't use the word... but still.

As far as I can tell, the "w" word prohibition is to "frame the debate".

Until it's used as a weappon, a gun is not a weapon, just as shoes are not weapons, until you kick someone with them on, them you have "battery with a dangerous weapon, a shod foot."

Since most people (i.e. non-shooters in this area [sad]) believe that "weaopns" are evil, not helping the Antis with talk about weapons (evil), when other words are available, makes sense.

When my 11-yo trap shooter is asked, "What weapon do you use?" his verbal slap-back of, "It's not a weapon, it's a shotgun," tends to make the questioner think, and possibly re-evaluate their position.

just my .02

I get weird looks for the few "Don't Tread on Me" shirts I have, and a kid asked me if my partially obscured S&W t-shirt (which has an image of a revolver in the same style logo as MLB/NBA) was Major League Gaming...I revealed the full image and he didn't want to talk to me about it anymore.[laugh][thinking]

So, there are some excited people out there.. That doesn't give the rest of you the right to make fun of them.. For every person that thinks you are awesome, there are five that think you are a dumbass...

So, there are some excited people out there.. That doesn't give the rest of you the right to make fun of them.. For every person that thinks you are awesome, there are five that think you are a dumbass...

Just 5 per person??? Sweet, I thought the ratio was much worse than that [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom