Range Report -- Walther PPK .22lr

I recently picked up a 1971 Walther PPK Interarms import, in the original box with all accessories except the cleaning rod:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=384447&postcount=137

ppk_noflash.jpg

From what I can tell so far, these are surprisingly rare, and from what I can gather on the auction sites, they seem to command a pretty good price from collectors. This one is in at least 90% condition, in my non-qualified opinion, and seems to have led an easy life.

However, I don't buy safe queens, so this one will, while it's with me, be treated very well (it lives in a felt bag whenever its not being shot), but will be a shooter. It's my first .22 handgun, and it fills a niche pretty well.

I've only had a chance to shoot it in a handful of sessions, once when I bought it, again at the range the next day to become familiar with it, and again yesterday in a long session at Harvard's indoor range at lunch.

I'm very happy with it, it is of course no target gun -- with its "carry gun" sights and short barrel. This is, however, exactly what I want, and I believe this gun is going to be even harder to learn to shoot well than a j-frame, which should make me a better shooter in the long run.

I shot the two targets at about 15 yards at Harvard using the 9 shot magazine, and an isosceles stance. The ammo was Winchester Xpert 22 HP, which the gun was finicky with. I used up some Federal the day before that it seemed to like better as far as the action was concerned.

The first target is pretty representative of the way I am shooting this gun right off the bat, and shows the results that I was getting, from 15 to 25 yards, the first few sessions with the gun, on many, many targets, and roughly 300 rounds of ammo. I can only say that I was shooting it the way I'd shoot my 1911, which would've given me good results.

target1.jpg

After realizing I was doing this, for the last target before I headed out, I took a deep breath, relaxed, thought about it, and did the "Zen" thing and "became the gun" [smile], and shot the last target, which made a difference. I did two sighting shots to see where the gun wanted to hit, and then let the other seven rip. It seemed to work.

I think the gun gave me a little glimpse of what it can do if I do my part, but it's not going to be an easy gun to shoot well, and I like that!

target2.jpg

Thanks Ross!

I traded for it with the plan being to sell it to get money for a gun EddieCoyle had for sale. Unfortunately, I'm already attached to it. It might be why they go for so much money. Can't wait to get to Harvard tomorrow morning to be humbled by it some more. You have to shoot it perfectly, or it'll show you exactly how bad you are!

Last edited:
Nice photo tele_mark! [wink] Oh, and nice gun and range report. I had a .380 ppk for a while and they are a tough bird to shoot. I didn't know the .22 versions existed. That's definitely a keeper.

Nice photo tele_mark! [wink] Oh, and nice gun and range report. I had a .380 ppk for a while and they are a tough bird to shoot. I didn't know the .22 versions existed. That's definitely a keeper.

Thanks! That means quite alot coming from a pro. I wish I'd moved the table lamp light source a little further up to get the reflection off the frame, though. I used my Canon S400 Elph in macro mode at ISO 400 on a mini tripod I'd forgotten I had.

The little bit I've been able to find on the web on the .22's says that these were very popular with the CIA in that period with suppressors!

Back
Top Bottom