Rast & Gasser Model 1898 - Wrapping up the Austro-Hungarian Sub-Collection

USMA-82

NES Member
Finally picked up this little baby after having it on hold for a while. File it under the "so ugly it's beautiful" category, but you can't argue with the quality manufacture or the neat features.

For example, when you pull back the loading gate, it disables the hammer, but not the trigger. Then, every time you pull back the trigger, the cylinder revolves to allow loading the next round. Same when unloading - every time you pull the trigger, the cylinder lines up perfectly to use the ejection rod to remove empty cases. Close the loading gate, and it functions as normal (double or single action).

For those of you not familiar with the model, here's the link with some great info:

http://www.hungariae.com/Gass98.htm

At the end are some pictures of the rest of the "Sub-Collection", along with a group photo.

Enjoy!

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

A view of the internal works - frame side gate opens like the French 1892:

IMG_5216.jpg

A closer look:

IMG_5217.jpg

IMG_5218.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5226.jpg

Steyr Hahn Model 1912:

IMG_5230.jpg

Roth Steyr Model 1907:

IMG_5229.jpg

Frommer Stop:

IMG_5228.jpg

Femaru 37M:

IMG_5227.jpg

Group picture:

IMG_5211.jpg

Yes, I did find a source for 8mm Gasser ammo, and it's on the way. Can't wait to hit the range.

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Ken you have outdone yourself. Very very nice collection sir.

Did you ever get to shoot the Gasser? Always thought it was a neat turn of the century era revolver and wondered how they shot. I'd probably pick one up if I had the money and a 1879 Reichsrevolver wasn't ahead on my list.

Now, if you know where I can get an original holster for the Roth or the Hahn for cheap, I'm all ears!

The Steyr Hahn holsters are definitely out there. I know Collectible Firearms in Merrimack had a Chilean rig but I don't know if the holster was correct. I imagine finding one for the Roth is going to be much more difficult.

Did you ever get to shoot the Gasser?

Yup - found some ammo and had a chance to shoot it. Very gentle recoil (it's a relatively heavy gun) and reasonable accurate for a military pistol. It may not work as a carry gun, but it's definitely a conversation-starter! Most people are fascinated by the ability to "expose the guts" by swinging open the frame gate.

Back
Top Bottom