Rat problem - where to buy air rifle (0.177" - not airsoft)

kijangus

NES Member
Probably a stupid question - I have a rat problem from a nest at a nearby neighbor who refuses to do anything and the rats are getting super brazen.
Poison/bait etc not working.

Any recommendations where I can pickup a air rifle (0.177 caliber or higher - so not airsoft).

K

Rats are pretty intelligent- if it's that much of a problem there is probably a town ordinance that can help, perhaps through board of health.

Pyramid air, get a korean .50 cal airgun. Lol! You fill the tank with compressed air and get about 5 shots per fill. The Korean’s have been hunting with air guns for decades. Probably be a fun toy or just go to walmart and pick up something. If your neighbors are dicks get a whisper Gammo so it’s quiet (they are supposed to be) and they don’t bitch you are shooting them.

Agree, shooting them will be fun. And as mentioned, not a permanent solution. Also, please don't use poison, it's bad for all the other animals and birds. I used these at my last house that had neighborhood rat problems, worked ok to keep them from my yard. And they learned to stay out of my yard, but the root of the problem needs to be fixed for a long term solution.

They are not supposed to be used outdoors, but I used them in the yard when I knew it would not rain and in areas that were covered. No issues.

image-13478.jpeg

There's a lot of plans online for barrel with a spinning can full of Peanut butter, or bird seeds floating on water. In my experience, these work pretty well, but then you're stuck with a barrel full of drown rats.

There's a lot of plans online for barrel with a spinning can full of Peanut butter, or bird seeds floating on water. In my experience, these work pretty well, but then you're stuck with a barrel full of drown rats.
I thought they were supposed to be put on stakes to show the other rats what you are capable of? :)

For the rats? Or the neighbor?

Shooting them can be a lot of fun but you won't eradicate them that way - they will learn to use other paths and movement patterns.
You need to get the neighbor to fix the food and housing issues and the problem will solve itself
100% understood - the neighbor is completely unresponsive to the problem.
I know it's probably a losing battle but I might as well get some fun out of it.
:D

Rats are pretty intelligent- if it's that much of a problem there is probably a town ordinance that can help, perhaps through board of health.
Yup - the town has done all they can - repeated fines of the neighbor but no luck.
I might as well make the most of it :p

Yup the barrel worked early in the year but wife planted some delicious plants/veggies and I guess that's tastier than peanut butter :-(

Pyramid air is a good option. But as mentioned, you won’t put a significant dent in the rat population with it, it’d be satisfying though.

Gamo Whisper . 22 , Crossman hollow points, and a ATN nv optic. No rats , no rabbits , no noise all achieved after dark !

Yeah, skip the .177 and go for a subsonic .22 with a moderator. Most pellet guns are so weak that a supersonic crack shouldn’t be accepted. Best to just increase the pellet mass/diameter and go subsonic.

Agree, shooting them will be fun. And as mentioned, not a permanent solution. Also, please don't use poison, it's bad for all the other animals and birds. I used these at my last house that had neighborhood rat problems, worked ok to keep them from my yard. And they learned to stay out of my yard, but the root of the problem needs to be fixed for a long term solution.

They are not supposed to be used outdoors, but I used them in the yard when I knew it would not rain and in areas that were covered. No issues.

View attachment 885864
I have one of those in a smaller version that I use to control mice in my old yard/plow Jeep. They work great..........No bloody mess, safe and effective.

I have the Gamo whisper wildcat in .22. Works well on everything including woodchucks and turkeys. Shoot some rats, leave them on your neighbor's door step with a note. "All rats get it in the end, including you!" Then do that upper decker, wife, keys thing.

We've only ever found poison to be effective if we rotate what kind of poison or traps we use, because they are so smart. We also tried using those electronic pest deterrents but my son can hear them and they were painful to his ears.

Get at least 4 Farrel cats let them loose
They will kill every rat untill they will stop coming. Eventually the rats wont be around any longer they will learn to stay away. If the cats stress the rats enough they will eat there young and move on.

The cat thing really is the best answer. My cat spooky rest his soul would hunt and kill everything. My neighbor lady ran him over and he died a few days later. He would leave squirrel tails.on my front doorstep. We had one chew into the Attic. Spooky made quick work of him like 10 min never saw it again. He would eat most of what he caught.

Brophies firearms in middleboro had an awesome selection of air rifles last time I was there. Get a thermal scope as well and your in for a good time at least

Probably a stupid question - I have a rat problem from a nest at a nearby neighbor who refuses to do anything and the rats are getting super brazen.

Any recommendations where I can pickup a air rifle (0.177 caliber or higher - so not airsoft).

K
Walmart

They sell 22 caliber air rifles with silencers at my local store. I think the brand is Gamo or something like that.

You can probably mail order one and have it at your door in less time than it takes you to read this thread.

K
If you want to have fun, get the rifle.

If you want to get rid of as many rats as possible, get one of those bucket traps with the lid that flips and traps them.

Only downside to the bucket is you might also get other animals such as squirrels.

That skull crushing thing looks interesting and maybe expensive. Also, nasty that Rachael touched the eaten piece of cardboard with her bare hands. Don't let Rachael touch you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom