• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reading Rifle and Revolver

Greetings,

I heard that Reading Rifle and Revolver has 600 yard range. I would like to know more details about range rules - ie are you allowed to fire prone, magazine limits, etc...
In addition, how can one joine Reading Rifle and Revolver? I am a member at MRA, but besides a 200 yd range, there is no long distance ranges there.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew. I used to shoot Highpower up at Reading a lot back a year or two and I had a friend who was a member there as well. There is a 600 yrd rifle range and in my opinion it's a very good range. They have a real pit area with retractable target stands so a pit crew can work behind the berm scoring during the highpower matches. You can shoot standing, sitting, prone etc' as that is typical during a highpower match and I've shot in those positions with my friend when it was just the two of us practicing. I've even streched the legs on my 50 BMG there. There didn't seem to be any mag limits when I was there as I've seen people using 30 rnd ar15 mags when they were just plinking.

One thing about Reading though is that because they do have a 600 yrd range, they have a very LONG waiting list to become a member. When I was there a lot, I heard the waiting list time was anywhere from 6 months to a year. You also had to have a sponser to become a member when an opening came about and it was your turn in line.

My advise would be to go and shoot on Sunday mornings if your into highpower at all. That's a good way to meet some of the members and hopefully get one to sponser you.

My advise would be to go and shoot on Sunday mornings if your into highpower at all. That's a good way to meet some of the members and hopefully get one to sponser you.

+1

In the rifle competition forum there is a High Power schedule for Reading. Just show up on the morning of one of the matches and introduce yourself. They are a great bunch of guys and it is a great club.

Reading's schedule for HP is listed in the "Rifle Comp." area. They are a great group of people friendly to non-members.

You will even learn the proper way to operate in the pits...

I have to say that the guys/gals at RRR are the best and really know how to have a good time. I first started my HP experience there and now going on my 3rd season shooting, I consider it my home base for shooting. I have made many friends there and have learned so much from everyone. I recommend anyone new to HP to shoot there as there are many people there who will take time to show the ropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all!
The first event seems to be in April! I guess that should give time to save for a nice bolt action with a quality scope.

Are there any open house/monthly member type events?

Andrew.

Thanks all!
The first event seems to be in April! I guess that should give time to save for a nice bolt action with a quality scope.

Are there any open house/monthly member type events?

Andrew.

Every match is open to non-members... [wink]

They have everything. The indoor range is small however. I'll see if I can get the list of facilities.

Reading R&R

I've been a member for years and am very happy there. Facilities include 24-h 50-ft indoor range, 160-yrd outdoor range with 15-, 25-, 50-, and 100-yard stages where you can shoot either rifle or pistol or anything really, a 600-yrd open range, skeet and trap ranges.
There is some waiting period, you have to be recommended by a Club member, and there is initiation fee. Annual fee is $150 but you can work and get discounts.

All of the service rifle matches require iron sights but I believe they run one or two that allow scoped and iron sighted rifles.

Reading Rifle

I went down to RR&RC today to try to join. They require you to be sponsored by an existing member. Unfortunately I don’t know anybody there. So my question is to anybody here who might be a member: Are there any events open to the public so that prospective members can come down and get to know people? If there are several types, I’d be most interested in either the rifle range (I have an M14) or the pistol range.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Go to their BOD meeting with a filled out application.

It is a very rare club that won't take care of that minor detail for you.

This issue (regarding various clubs) has been addressed here numerous times.

The old website has been gone for quite some time. If you still have a problem, a few friends are members and one is an officer in the club. I'd be more than happy to ask them to assist if need be. They are a great bunch of people and I look forward to the matches when I can make them.

I was thinking of joining there a year or so ago as I was getting into Highpower rifle and the 600 yrd range and pitts is a pretty nice setup. You do need to get sponsored, which isn't all that hard. If you go to one of the weekend shoots you can meet up with some really great people. The only problem is that they have a huge waiting list. When I was joining the wait list was over a year long and was dictated by how many people did not renew thier membership. Not sure if the wait list has gone down any, but I would suspect there is still a good sized wait.

I believe that highpower matches at Reading require You to use iron sights.

They run at least a few matches that allow any sights. (The Drolet in October that I know of, probably others.) The match bulletins are all up at readinghighpower.com.

Navy Moose said:
I live in the next town over. How can I contact the RRR to inquire about membership?

There are membership applications in the mailbox outside the office, but the grounds are gated and you can't just wander in anytime. (Many of their matches are open to the public, though.) You can also email [email protected] for an application, call the office phone at (781)942-1027, or visit the office on Sunday mornings; bear right through the gate and go down the road about 500' to the clubhouse/office. (If the gate is closed, wait for someone to come by to let you in.) In theory you need to be sponsored either by a member or your local police chief, but as usual there's some wiggle room; even though I'm far from outgoing, after shooting just a handful of matches there I've had multiple people not only offer to sponsor me but actively urging me to apply.

It's also required that you have taken an NRA safety class (various exceptions apply), be an NRA member, be interviewed and approved by the BoD, and have your name posted in the quarterly newsletter. It can all take quite a long time.

Reading Rifle and Revolver Club

I am thinking about joining Reading Rifle and Revolver Club as a second club since I live so close I can hear shots with the windows open. I see there are no threads on it and scant results returned from searching. Are there any members here on NES? If so, what do you all think about it? Every club has politics but what is it like here. Lots of political crap or reasonable? What do you like about the club? What is good about the facilities? Bad? Although I will swing by one day soon and check it out, others reading this may not be able to. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom