Red Dot Deer Shotgun

Anyone use a Red Dot on their deer shotgun? Like it? Advantages? Disadvantages? I've never used one.

I just picked a Ithaca 37 I am going to fix up to be my deer beater. It has a Red Dot on it. The dot is a bit of Starburst but I guess this is normal for lower budget sights.

Oh yeah, I almost always shoot slugs.

Thanks.

I use a Mossberg 535 with a rifled barrel and a Cabela's 2X red dot sight. I like the dot better than a low power scope as it's brighter, has a better field of view and the 2X is juuuuust right.

I like the idea of a red dot on a deer shotgun, but I'd be sure to check the local laws wherever you're hunting.

Some states do not allow any illuminated scopes or "powered" scopes. Red Dots might be considered a no-no.

Anyone use a Red Dot on their deer shotgun? Like it? Advantages? Disadvantages? I've never used one.

I just picked a Ithaca 37 I am going to fix up to be my deer beater. It has a Red Dot on it. The dot is a bit of Starburst but I guess this is normal for lower budget sights.

Oh yeah, I almost always shoot slugs.

Thanks.

I put one on my buddies 870 last season and he got a nice 8 point with it. I got him a new stock for xmass last year which he didn't want to put on and mess with the reddot he loves the thing lol.

Really can't go wrong less you leave it on and then get to the field and your SOL.

I recently put a trijicon red dot, which is the same thing as a JPoint. I had it mounted to the vent rib it sits nice and low. low enough that you can see the bead thru the glass. if you can mount the even lower if you cut the rib

so far I like it alot. I don't hunt so I don't know how it will hold up in the field. but it has held up fine for 3gun type shooting

I had a red dot on my Mossberg for several years, and it worked well with slugs. Any failure to get a deer in that period was entirely my fault, not the shotguns.

When I bought the 11-87, I installed a set of Williams Firesights. They replaced the front & rear sight with fiber optic tubes leading into dots. I like them, too. Not as nice as a red dot, but $$ cheaper. They do need some ambient light to function, but no complaints from me.

Back
Top Bottom