Registering lower receiver?

Hey gang, back just after Sandy Hook I bought a pair or Ar15 stripped lowers at full panic price. I built one and registered it, but I sold the other one about a year later to a friend with a valid LTC. We both filled out transfer paperwork but don't remember if we ever filed it online.

How screwed are we both at this point?

Are you saying you did the paper fa-10? When you purchased the lowers a nics check should've been done but not a Fa-10. Since you sold the 2nd lower before it was assembled, again, no fa-10 needed. The unbuilt lowers magically became assault weapons on Healey day so one could argue you'd have within 7 days to reg it via efa-10 portal. It is now passed that 7 day window. Only thing anyone can do now is speculate.

Only thing anyone can do now is speculate.

Truer words were never spoken.

An eventual court case may clarify what you should do next. For now, do what you want. Your guess is literally as good as anyone else's.

If you just sold a "lower" to a Mass friend, there was no FA10 required to be filed.

It is your friend's problem now whether he can build it out and then register it without violating the recent AG notice. No different than anyone else in Mass that are sitting on lowers.

Are you saying you did the paper fa-10? When you purchased the lowers a nics check should've been done but not a Fa-10. Since you sold the 2nd lower before it was assembled, again, no fa-10 needed. The unbuilt lowers magically became assault weapons on Healey day so one could argue you'd have within 7 days to reg it via efa-10 portal. It is now passed that 7 day window. Only thing anyone can do now is speculate.

If he bought the lower through an FFL, it's possible that the FA10 was done (some FFLs would do the FA10 and others didn't - just the From 4473).

You can fill out the attached form for a list of all firearms in your name and send it to the FRB at a cost of $20. Without having any recollection if the transfer was filed, then I think that this is the only way to confirm in whose name the lower is registered.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/personal-search-request.pdf

I bought the lowers through a FFL @the time. My friend never assembled it and forgot about it until this thing with Healy hit the fan. All I did was a paper record of a firearm bill of sale @ the time so we would each have a record

If it was not already fa10 in MA then I would sit on it until the dust settles a bit. Too uncertain right now what the law is and is not. Several bills on play could change things back.

If it was not already fa10 in MA then I would sit on it until the dust settles a bit. Too uncertain right now what the law is and is not. Several bills on play could change things back.

My personal opinion as well. Do not FA10 it. Do not build it. Let's see how this plays out. Once you file the FA10, that's it. There's no taking it back.

Back
Top Bottom