reloading kits

I am looking to start reloading, mostly pistol cartriges. Does dillon make a kit that has everything a newbie needs(less the dies, powder,etc). In my searching i find lee, rcbs, lyman, all have kits with scales and trimmers etc. I appreciate any/ all info.

To my knowledge, Dillon does not make any complete kits, such as the Lee's 50th Anniversary kit, for example. But the kit's aren't really all their cracked up to be.

I personally had the Lee Deluxe Reloading Kit, which I returned to the store in exchange for a Lee Pro 1000, which I also returned to the store. After that, I broke down and got a Dillon 550. With the Lee Deluxe Reloading kit you get a turret press, powder measure, scale, a primer pocket cleaner, case trimmer, and chamfer tool. You would still need to buy a set of dies, and of course the components (brass, primers, etc.).

If you go with a Dillon, you order the press and a conversion kit, which comes with all the dies for your particular caliber. It also comes with a powder measure. You'd still need to get a scale. And I personally don't even use the other little tools that would come with the Lee kit, but that's your call. So basically with Lee the "kit" comes with the press, and the dies are separate, whereas with Dillon the "kit" comes with the dies, and the press is separate.

If you are even SLIGHTLY interested in Dillon's products, you should head over to www.brianenos.com. He's pretty much top notch when it comes to explaining how to get up and running with a Dillon. At the same time, don't just write off Lee, like a lot of people might tell you too. Lee makes a good product for the money you pay. Only reason I got a Dillon is I knew I would eventually upgrade anyway, so I decided buying a Dillon was cheaper than buying a Lee and a Dillon. If money is a serious concern for you, though, give the Lee a try. It will at least let you get comfortable with reloading at a reasonable price. And keep searching online, too. There is a ton of information regarding reloading out there, you just have to find it. Good luck to you.

If you are loading pistol cartridges, GET CARBIDE DIES. Trust me on this.

You WON'T need the case lube; you won't need the step of applying the case lube, you won't need the step of removing the case lube and you won't scratch your dies or cases when crap inevitably sticks to the case lube.

If you are loading .223, Dillon makes a carbide die for that caliber too ($$$$$$$).

I didn't listen and foolishly started with a plain steel die set.

It has been replaced and every pistol die set since then has been carbide. Got the Dillon .223 die also.

I too ditched my Lee loader after screwing with the primer system for hours. Trust Dillon, the 550 B is a great versatile machine. Call their 800 number and talk to a real, smart, person who can put together a package you need.

If you get multiple calibers, buy a separate powder holder for each. Changing powders is harder than it looks and you don't want to accidentally mix powders

I started with a Lee Kit and ended up giving away everything but the book. I would've sold the stuff, but I don't want to go to Hell.

The Dillon 550 is a nice machine (I had one and sold it), but I prefer the Hornady L-N-L Progressive because I like 5 stations, auto indexing, and the ability to quickly remove and replace one die at a time for cleaning.

I load too many calibers/charge weights to get a separate powder measure for each, so I appreciate the Hornady's easy-to-adjust powder measure with the micrometer insert.

Here we go again!!!!!

If you are shooting a lot then Dillon is the only way to go.

Unless you're Mike then Lee is the only way to go!!!!

haha

Pete

I had put together my own reloading kit starting with the Dillon 550 as my base.

Add to that the various items from other posts.... I stuck with getting all dillon die's and even some quick conversion kits to make change of caliber that much easier.

Couple things you will WANT if you get the 550 - primer flip tray, 550 spare parts kit, additional small or large primer tubes

I'd say the same thing if I had a 1050. [smile]

Until then, I like my L-N-L just fine thanks.

I love my 1050.... :)

There have been way too many issues with the L-N-L that I wouldn't want to deal with one. Maybe in another year when the get everything dialed in it will be a great press.

With all the valuable info. from you guys and others I now have a Dillon 550 on the way!! ochmude, your brian enos link helped out alot. I'm sure once the stuff shows up I could have more ques. as I don't have any shooting buddies that reload YET

Kobra,

Most of us would be more than willing to help you get started if needed. Depending on where in the state you live I could help you out.

Pete

If you are loading pistol cartridges, GET CARBIDE DIES. Trust me on this.

You WON'T need the case lube; you won't need the step of applying the case lube, you won't need the step of removing the case lube and you won't scratch your dies or cases when crap inevitably sticks to the case lube.

If you are loading .223, Dillon makes a carbide die for that caliber too ($$$$$$$).

I didn't listen and foolishly started with a plain steel die set.

It has been replaced and every pistol die set since then has been carbide. Got the Dillon .223 die also.

Scriv,

Did you get the carbide .223 die?

TBP

Back
Top Bottom