reloading rph

boston_007

NES Member
I have been reading different sites and have found those who claim to be able to reload 500 +/- rounds using a progressive press, e.g. a Dillon 550B.
I, being barely above new reloader status, have been striving for quality over quantity but I would like to know what an experienced reloaders production rate would be.

10-12min for 100 or .45acp
15min for a 100 of 38super.

on a Lee Pro 1000

This is with the press ready to go.

I rarely load more than 200 at a time and I look into each case make sure there is powder

I have a Dillon 1050 and a Dillon 650 with a bullet feeder. I can easily load 700-800 rounds an hour on these so long as I have my primer tubes full. I have a vibrating primer filler though so that helps a ton. I can load .40 much quicker as the cases are only 20% or so filled with powder. For .38 super it's a bit slower because the rounds are 90%+ full so powder will spill when going too fast.

Well, my rate per hour is around 150+/- .223/5.56 rounds. I was hoping to increase my output while maintaining my quaility control. So far my handloads have been a surprise!

22.5 grains of H335 using a VMAX 55 grain bullet with CCI 400 primers and Rem. .223 once fired brass.

100 yards 55grain VMAX

The below targets are a mix of 52 grain VMAX, 55 grain VMAX and 69 grain SMK's. The 52 and 55 grain is H335 and the 69 SMK is Varget (24.5 grains)

Distance for the right target is 200 yards, left is 100.....

With the 550 that I got I have averaged around 200-250 an hour.
Loading 45 and 38
I take my time and check steps randomly and at certain intervals.

I loaded 1000 .45 ACP the other night on my L-N-L in three hours. That includes the time it took to set up a new set of dies, fill the primer tubes (the old fashioned way), and smoke breaks along the way. I wasn't rushing, it felt like I was taking my time.

I've done about 300/hr with my LNL. This is with everything ready to go and no case feeder. I don't try to rush and I can't reload for hours without stopping for a while... I'd get bored doing it straight for hours.

I loaded 200 357 Magnums tonite on my LnL in a little under 1.5 hours. That included a little fidgeting with the press when the primer seater needed to be removed and cleaned, boxing the ammo in lots of 50 and labeling them. I'm about to do a run of 500 .45 auto, I'll time that a little more formally.

500/hr is a brisk, but doable pace on my Lee Loadmaster. It is faster than I like to move, and more than I usually load in a sitting. 400/hr is a comfortable pace.

500/hr is a pull of the handle every 7.2 seconds:

Pull,
Pull...

I have my stroke down on my 650 pretty good and can get 500 in about 35-40 minutes using a primer tube filler. It is cranking but I see every charge. The 1050 I use for just 9mm is a bit faster and smoother.

.223 is hard to figure out because I have been resizing/decapping on one toolhead and then priming, charging, and seating the bullet on another. In between I trim or swage if needed. It is kind of a pain and since I needed brass I ordered some processed (resized, trimed, and swaged) so it should be faster in one step.

Sheesh I feel slow compared to you guys.

It once took me all day to load a box of 308, 40 and 9mm. Of course that was not just loading but trimming, deburring, lubing the 308 and everything else. I use a Lee Turret Press

I cull out the undesirable brass prior to loading, and often my brother helps keep my supplies full, adding bullets and brass to my bins, dumping my full ones, and filling my primer tubes.

I can crank out 700+ rounds of .45ACP (while looking in each case) and 600+ rounds of .40 SW per hour on my Dillon 550.

I also load standing up (as recommended by Dillon) with the roller handle and strong mount options for the press. There's a light mounted above the press so I can see into the case at the powder station.

I find my powder charge to be even as long as there is more than 1.5 inches of powder in the powder magazine. Any less, and the charge weight is thrown off a little bit (not much, like 2/10ths.

Ok, just finished processing 605 rounds of .223. It's been sized, deprimed, trimmed to length, and the military rounds were swaged. It took me 2 hours; I am slow!
This is using a Dillon 550B, Dillon Swager and Giraud Trimmer........ really slow, really, really slow....sigh ;) But very precise!!!

Taking my time-more then 600 rounds

Taking my time but loading in a controlled and concise manor, visually inspecting the powder in every case (and weighing a few along the way), loading my primer tubes as I go ( 2 Dillon Primer Loaders) and spray lubing my cases, I can load more then 600 rounds an hour of pistol ammo.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom