• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remembering a Vietnam Helicopter Pilot Friend of Dad's

Mountain

NES Member
I lived in the St. Louis area for a few years when my Dad took a promotion with the airline via flying out of STL. My Dad and Allen became friends as they were both Vietnam helicopter pilots (Dad- Marines, Allen- Army), were officers in a local race club, and had other shared interests. Allen was shot down several times in combat, with only minor injuries and the ability and will to carry on. He served in Vietnam with the 192nd Attack Helicopter Company in '69-'70, the 7-17 Cav in '71, and D Troop 1-10 Cav in '71-'72. Coincidentally, both he and my Dad died unexpectedly at the same age.

Allen was known by most for his daily traffic reports via helicopter, but during his civilian career he had some quite amazing adventures. My Mom forwarded this article to me, remembering Allen's loss 20 years later.

20 years ago: Helicopter crash takes the life of traffic reporter Allen Barklage

Imagine letting go of the controls to overpower a hijacker and then have to shoot her with her own .44 mag before she shoots you with another gun as you land in a prison yard. The Fed Marion, IL prison is where the worst of the worst are incarcerated. Besides some excitement, flying was just part of his everyday routine. Allen would sometimes stop by my Mom's office to get some papers signed for the club- of course via landing the helicopter in the field next to her office.

He was a great guy and a kindred spirit with my Dad- both are missed.

Allen and your Dad are having a beer together in Heaven and talking about how proud they are of you...
And remember no one is truly dead until they are no longer talked about by the mouths of men.
~Matt

Back
Top Bottom