• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ridgeline May 2021 Scoped Carbine Class

@jhagberg88 ...

One of the instructors noticed on Day 2 that my gas block was actually rubbing my DD OmegaX quad rail. I felt pretty dumb that I never noticed it in the almost three years I’ve had the rail on with this flip up A2 gas block.
That’s one of the great things about training with new people/in new situations. You uncover things about your setup/abilities so you can unf*** them. Don’t feel dumb about it, everybody should continually be discovering areas for improvement.

It's just a 1.93 mount, it looks taller then it is.
it is a actually an interesting enough topic - i guess your preferences were similar to ones shown in there?

i could not get used to almost 2" mount when i tried it and settled on the 1.63" mount for the 16" build i may expect to shoot standing up, but for a heavy 20" one - for bench and prone - it is on 1.5" now and may even get lower, down to standard high rings at 1.35". 1.63" on it just felt plain wrong, dunno how 2" would do, i did not even think of it.

I’ll do a separate summary thread in the morning, but my main take away is get good glass and ammo, and knowing that I have no experience at these distances I was very impressed at how they were able to get me landing shots as quick as we did.
I/We getr that same reaction when new shooters show up for cmp/nra high power. Some basic info , apply what your taught and it can be very satisfying in short time.

it is a actually an interesting enough topic - i guess your preferences were similar to ones shown in there?

i could not get used to almost 2" mount when i tried it and settled on the 1.63" mount for the 16" build i may expect to shoot standing up, but for a heavy 20" one - for bench and prone - it is on 1.5" now and may even get lower, down to standard high rings at 1.35". 1.63" on it just felt plain wrong, dunno how 2" would do, i did not even think of it.
Depends on your cheek to stock hold , where your eyes end up.
For me even the stock A2 sights are a smidge to high for my hard cheekweld short cheek to eyeball distance. I like my scopes low. I generally have to use a cheek riser or adjustable comb for almost everything!

Depends on your cheek to stock hold , where your eyes end up.
For me even the stock A2 sights are a smidge to high for my hard cheekweld short cheek to eyeball distance. I like my scopes low. I generally have to use a cheek riser or adjustable comb for almost everything!
i have a RAPS stock on the 20" build for that reason. 1/4" rise aligns very well with a 1.5" mount. but i want to try it with the 1.35" also, later.
for 16" i am undecided - it is still with the RAT LaRue provided, it is not ideal, but, it works.

Last edited:
i have a RAPS stock on the 20" build for that reason. 1/4" rise aligns very well with a 1.5" mount. but i want to try it with the 1.35" also, later.
for 16" i am undecided - it is still with the RAT LaRue provided, it is not ideal, but, it works.
Hows that raps stock feel under your head.
I feel it looks like the comb sits to far back.
I tend to ride the charge handle with my nose , up close and tight with a heavy head.
Hows the feel of the adjustments. Are they tough or sort cheesy?

Hows that raps stock feel under your head.
I feel it looks like the comb sits to far back.
I tend to ride the charge handle with my nose , up close and tight with a heavy head.
Hows the feel of the adjustments. Are they tough or sort cheesy?
So, RAPS. One thing about it - it is really heavy. On a 20" stealth build it is somewhat helpful, as it counterbalances heavy barrel back a bit, but, i would not use it on anything you would expect to actually carry.
As of the position of the comb - see the picture below. it is how i have set it for now - that arrowhead scope has a bit tighter eyebox, so, for prone stock needs to be extended all the way back and it brings the comb to a proper place. for shooting standing up it goes all the way forward. when lever is locked back - as shown, it is sturdy, nothing plays or moves.
i can probably move scope one spot forward on the rail, later, as right now it sits all the way back, as can be seen. but most likely i will move this scope to a 16" build and will set this one on something else, i need to shoot it more at 200 and 300 to decide. i like the BDC reticle on this 1-10x arrowhead, but did not shoot it enough yet to decide. and, last time at 300 it felt a bit blurry, but i did not have my bergara with a 5-25x scope to compare the image quality and did not have much time.
What i like about RAPS - it is very easy to operate, and you can preset/limit the travel distance of how far it extends back as you pull the lever down. it is much better than other stocks where you would need to rotate something to slowly alter the configuration - here it is done instantaneously.
i do not expect to carry this rifle, ever, but, you can also see the sling mount is on the top of the stock - not ideal, i would prefer it to be at the base. there is a hidden rail at the base of the stock as well, can be used to mount a bag rider, if desired - but, it slides on the bag fine as is also.

larue20_2.jpg

Last edited:
My AR shoots 5 MOA with M193. I got it down to 1.5 MOA with tuned reloads.

I don't feel like loading up 1000 rounds for a class....! But this really sounds like fun, maybe an excuse to buy a new gun...

So, RAPS. One thing about it - it is really heavy. On a 20" stealth build it is somewhat helpful, as it counterbalances heavy barrel back a bit, but, i would not use it on anything you would expect to actually carry.
As of the position of the comb - see the picture below. it is how i have set it for now - that arrowhead scope has a bit tighter eyebox, so, for prone stock needs to be extended all the way back and it brings the comb to a proper place. for shooting standing up it goes all the way forward. when lever is locked back - as shown, it is sturdy, nothing plays or moves.
i can probably move scope one spot forward on the rail, later, as right now it sits all the way back, as can be seen. but most likely i will move this scope to a 16" build and will set this one on something else, i need to shoot it more at 200 and 300 to decide. i like the BDC reticle on this 1-10x arrowhead, but did not shoot it enough yet to decide. and, last time at 300 it felt a bit blurry, but i did not have my bergara with a 5-25x scope to compare the image quality and did not have much time.
What i like about RAPS - it is very easy to operate, and you can preset/limit the travel distance of how far it extends back as you pull the lever down. it is much better than other stocks where you would need to rotate something to slowly alter the configuration - here it is done instantaneously.
i do not expect to carry this rifle, ever, but, you can also see the sling mount is on the top of the stock - not ideal, i would prefer it to be at the base. there is a hidden rail at the base of the stock as well, can be used to mount a bag rider, if desired - but, it slides on the bag fine as is also.

View attachment 488203
For this type of class and style of shooting im not worried to much about weight.

My AR shoots 5 MOA with M193. I got it down to 1.5 MOA with tuned reloads.

I don't feel like loading up 1000 rounds for a class....! But this really sounds like fun, maybe an excuse to buy a new gun...
Thats about par for the course.
For those that are shooting m193/M855 all day long under 2moa theres a cmp modern military match at pembroke OCSA on the 13th?

For this type of class and style of shooting im not worried to much about weight.
It is a good solid stock but I am not loving it. For now it will stay as it is not a priority but eventually I will find something else most likely.

My barrels like m855 well enough, but 68gr was the best. For your 1/7 twist the 77gr was supposed to be the best, odd.
68-69gr match bullets seem to be the most precise on average. I don’t know why, but they’re usually 3/4-1 MOA in my guns with good barrels.

But the 77s are better past 300 when the wind has a bit more of an effect.

My barrels like m855 well enough, but 68gr was the best. For your 1/7 twist the 77gr was supposed to be the best, odd.
You're not wrong but I just want to try them to baseline vs the 77's I was using

69's were shooting pretty well for me the week before the class but I don't have enough to run it with.

Great write up. Makes sense what they did there. Not sure how much I would care about all the CQB drills with stand/knee/prone transitions- it can be fun if one never did it, but, to do it with pain in joints is much less fun than it was in your teens and 20s.
What was the point there - they wanted folks to learn how to shoot through a 3-15x scope at the 25yds targets? What was the angle?

Great write up. Makes sense what they did there. Not sure how much I would care about all the CQB drills with stand/knee/prone transitions- it can be fun if one never did it, but, to do it with pain in joints is much less fun than it was in your teens and 20s.
What was the point there - they wanted folks to learn how to shoot through a 3-15x scope at the 25yds targets? What was the angle?
If all you had was a LPVO then yes it was to get you to learn to shoot it up close. Most everyone had a red dot mounted as well all in different configurations. I probably had the highest powered optic while most others were 1-8x or 1-10x
The intent of the class is to get you trained 0-600 not just 100-600.

If all you had was a LPVO then yes it was to get you to learn to shoot it up close. Most everyone had a red dot mounted as well all in different configurations. I probably had the highest powered optic while most others were 1-8x or 1-10x
The intent of the class is to get you trained 0-600 not just 100-600.
I get it. I do not criticize at all - sounds like a great carbine class, with mixed in some longer range elements. I can agree 100% with the logic of such mix and equipment wise that is what I have my 16” predatAr built for - hoping to keep it very light and agile.

I was hoping they would give you more of a sniper school topics, but, perhaps there are other classes for that.

I get it. I do not criticize at all - sounds like a great carbine class, with mixed in some longer range elements. I can agree 100% with the logic of such mix and equipment wise that is what I have my 16” predatAr built for - hoping to keep it very light and agile.

I was hoping they would give you more of a sniper school topics, but, perhaps there are other classes for that.
That's probably this class:
Or

Back
Top Bottom