Rifle advice

What make these "assault rifles"??

[h=1]Assault rifle[/h] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[SUP][1][/SUP] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Note the difference between the assault rifle and the battle rifle. Assault rifles use smaller cartridges and are used at closer ranges than battle rifles. The larger sized rifle cartridges used in battle rifles make fully automatic fire more difficult. Fully automatic fire refers to an ability for a rifle to fire continuously while the trigger is pressed and held; "burst-capable" fire refers to an ability of a rifle to fire a small yet fixed multiple number of rounds with but one press of the trigger; in contrast, semi-automatic refers to an ability to fire one round per press of a trigger regardless of how long the trigger is held. The presence of selective fire modes on assault rifles permits more efficient use of rounds to be fired for specific needs, versus having a single mode of operation, such as fully automatic, thereby conserving ammunition while maximizing on-target accuracy and effectiveness.
Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47,[SUP][2][/SUP] M16 rifle, INSAS rifle, QBZ-95, FAMAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.
The assault rifle became the standard military rifle during the Vietnam War.[SUP][3][/SUP] The Soviet Union was the first nation in the post-war era to adopt an assault rifle, the AK-47, and other nations followed later. Combat experience during the World Wars had shown that most infantry combat took place at 200–300 meters (220–330 yards) distance and that the winner of any given firefight would most likely be the one with the highest rate of fire. The rifle cartridges of the day were therefore unnecessarily powerful, producing recoil and report in exchange for marginal benefit. The lower power of the intermediate cartridge meant that each soldier could fire more bullets faster and/or with less recoil and its lighter weight allowed more ammunition to be carried.

I love AR's. Absolutely love them.

And everything else sucks. In Fine print [rofl]

Granted you will probably find gun owners defending their house etc with an AR, AKs have their purpose. Not starting an AK vs AR thread again for sure though.

You...stop it. It's people like you that got me to where i am today...broke and bathing in guns/ammo.

If my bank account were only as full as my safe.

Now i'm assaulting rifles..you see where this got me?
Don't tell him to stop, the AMD he built for me is insane. Sometimes as he's talking about the work he did I just nod and pretend to understand.

post-Mila-Kunis-smile-and-nod-gif-Px7M.gif

Last edited:

And everything else sucks. In Fine print [rofl]

Granted you will probably find gun owners defending their house etc with an AR, AKs have their purpose. Not starting an AK vs AR thread again for sure though.

Don't tell him to stop, the AMD he built for me is insane. Sometimes as he's talking about the work he did I just nod and pretend to understand.

post-Mila-Kunis-smile-and-nod-gif-Px7M.gif

Note to self make shit up and see if al catches on .

OP - This is the age old, never ending debate among firearms enthusiast. AR or AK

I like the AR. There are more accessories and they tend to be very accurate. They are also easy to configure for many purposes.

AK's ( even cheap ones ) are inherently reliable and accurate enough. Some are capable of great accuracy out to as far as 300 yards or more, but that type of use is usually AR territory.

Oh, and AK's are butt ugly and will reduce your IQ with prolonged use. [laugh]

If your budget is 800 i would consider the mini-14 too.
i love my mini 14 tactical....not a laser beam for accuracy but darn reliable and durable.

for AR vs AK, literally tons of threads and videos. IMO they shouldnt really be compared. The comparisons are driven by people who have this US vs USSR mentality which is parochial at best.

What do you really want from your next purchase?
My very first center fire semi auto rifle was a sks back in 1991. Still have it fun to shoot and more accurate than my mak 90 AK variant which I purchased in 1992ish? Still fun to blow treestumps and old washing machines apart.
That said I didnt even look at ARs until 2005. I went from basic carbine to full blown tactifool and several variants I built in between.
In the end I ended up with a regular plain Jane A2, A2 national match for nra service rifle matches and a 22lr dedicated AR. I also have a A4 upper set up with a scope.
If I want to hit a target and get nice groups I will grab my ARs. If I want to blast water melons or old soda bottles the sks or Ak get the nod.
If I could only keep one..... the A2 national match.
Good luck.
with the budget you posted I might lean towards a sks or aka some mags and the balance in ammo.

What would it be called? A semiautomatic rifle, a defensive rifle, a sporting rifle, an AR/AK, I don't really care what you call it, just don't feed into and perpetuate the bull shit spewed by the politicians and the media.

At least "Assault Rifle" has background as a term, although typically it implies that the gun in question is select fire and not merely semiautomatic. Media usually uses "Assault Weapon" which is full blown anti speak bullshit fake made up shit. That's the one that really needs to die.

Then again, whenever I hear "assault weapon" I think of this guy... [rofl]

-Mike

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
At least "Assault Rifle" has background as a term, although typically it implies that the gun in question is select fire and not merely semiautomatic. Media usually uses "Assault Weapon" which is full blown anti speak bullshit fake made up shit. That's the one that really needs to die.

Then again, whenever I hear "assault weapon" I think of this guy... [rofl]

-Mike

-Mike

[rofl2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Go onto a pitbull owners forum and ask where you can find a vicious dog that will attack children.

That's kinda like what you did here.

Seriously though, someone posted a thread a couple years ago called something like "who makes the best AR and why." I'd recommend you start there.

Go onto a pitbull owners forum and ask where you can find a vicious dog that will attack children.

That's kinda like what you did here.

Seriously though, someone posted a thread a couple years ago called something like "who makes the best AR and why." I'd recommend you start there.

You certainly summed that up nicely

"assault" is an adjective describing a noun, which can only be derived from an action (v., to assault) or a noun (the criminals assault on the victim). Moreover if someone uses a daisy to assault someone in an assault, only then can the term "assault daisy" be used in the context of describing the action.

Back
Top Bottom