Road trip to Greenville Maine suggestions.

whacko

NES Member
Wife is sending me and the boy on a guided fly fishing trip on a drift boat. Will be traveling to mooshead lake on Greenville Maine this weekend. Plan is to leave early and take our time getting up there and stop along the way. Any suggestions for fire arm/hunting related stops along the way? I know about kittery and cabelas on the route. Looking for some possible old timey hunting shops for a possibility.

Wife is sending me and the boy on a guided fly fishing trip on a drift boat. Will be traveling to mooshead lake on Greenville Maine this weekend. Plan is to leave early and take our time getting up there and stop along the way. Any suggestions for fire arm/hunting related stops along the way? I know about kittery and cabelas on the route. Looking for some possible old timey hunting shops for a possibility.
what do you want to know. I live here.
Stop in Fairfield at exit 130? I think. A&G guns is right off the highway by the John Deere shop next to the truck stop.
The local store here is Indian Hill Trading Post. Great for a lot of stuff when there’s nothing for many miles.

Who are you fishing with? Where are you staying? That will tell me where to recommend. Are you also exploring the area? That brings a new dimension.

Don’t tell the others when you go home !!! They only will f*** this area up.

what do you want to know. I live here.
Stop in Fairfield at exit 130? I think. A&G guns is right off the highway by the John Deere shop next to the truck stop.
The local store here is Indian Hill Trading Post. Great for a lot of stuff when there’s nothing for many miles.

Who are you fishing with? Where are you staying? That will tell me where to recommend. Are you also exploring the area? That brings a new dimension.

Don’t tell the others when you go home !!! They only will f*** this area up.
Staying at the chalet lakefront on Greenville.

Don't currently know the guide my wife set it up. He picks us up at the hotel Monday morning. I'll find out from Mrs whacko who it is.

Staying at the chalet lakefront on Greenville.

Don't currently know the guide my wife set it up. He picks us up at the hotel Monday morning. I'll find out from Mrs whacko who it is.
Yes. Right on Prithem Ave on the lake. Curriers Flying takes off from West Cove in front of you. Decent fishing sometimes off the park walls.
Kelly’s Landing has pretty good food that has proven itself to be very consistent for a long time.
Stress Free Moose is also very good and fun. More pub fare but it is the spot for night life. Woodies is across the street from Kelly’s
We are in desperate need of a breakfast place. They are all gone. I think Kelly’s is open weekends for breakfast. Jamo’s downtown is well known for their morning and lunch sandwiches.
Moosehead Meat and Deli is also very good.
Easy walks or drive to all.
I’ll not darken Dockside’s doorway with anything but my truck as I drive by.

If you want something nice high end there’s a bunch.

There’s many more. Just ask away.
I have a friend who’s a guide but he is up near Rockwood. I would have sent you up with a message. 😂 😂

Yes. Right on Prithem Ave on the lake. Curriers Flying takes off from West Cove in front of you. Decent fishing sometimes off the park walls.
Kelly’s Landing has pretty good food that has proven itself to be very consistent for a long time.
Stress Free Moose is also very good and fun. More pub fare but it is the spot for night life. Woodies is across the street from Kelly’s
We are in desperate need of a breakfast place. They are all gone. I think Kelly’s is open weekends for breakfast. Jamo’s downtown is well known for their morning and lunch sandwiches.

I have a friend who’s a guide but he is up near Rockwood. I would have sent you up with a message. 😂 😂
Thanks! That'll cover us for the trip I think lol

Maine guide fly shop is the service Mrs whacko set us up with.

Did the Birch Bark Bakery close up?
Sadly it did as soon as it froze up one very cold and blowing night. It was on heat pumps I was told. They had some of the most experienced waitresses working there. They tried moving across the street to Dockside and it flopped.
That said. They were not alone in freeze ups. I’ll never buy into that dog and pony show as a sole heat source. It Russian Roulette on freezing up.

Heat pumps in Greenville with no backup? Dumb.
I have 3 sources in my house with 2 back up power sources.

Ya. Not smart. Big money is obviously much smarter than me.
The owner called me asking to come work for him when his RHM passed away. I passed on that.
Best thing I ever did in life. By a lot.

Depending on what way you head to Greenville, hit up the Abbot bakery. Great place, and even better people.
There’s not many direct ways in without going past “Home of the skidded tire donut” without adding over 100 miles to the trip or running the dirt roads in here from 201. I’ve done them all. No dust after all this damn rain but I did catch a nice brookie on West Outlet yesterday but nothing out to Indian Pond on the Somerset Rd to the old flooded rail bed.

It’s a very wet day for fishing. Give a PM shout if you’re heading indoors when you’re done fishing for a cocktail or two.

What about Kelly’s landing?

If you stop at Kelly's Landing ask for McKenzie (if she's still there). She can be a cheeky lass.

What about Kelly’s landing?
I mentioned it prior in a post as OP is staying right around the corner from them.

The food is always consistently very good and has been for many years. We ate there often when on the boat along with The Birches. They are better on quality than the Birches and likely one of the best places on the water up here. That said The Birches doesn’t suck. I just got some really lousy food one day last fall. Like get this away from me please. No idea what happened and I’m sure Paul was not doing the cooking that day.

I was in Kelly’s yesterday for some cold beers with a friend when we were done fishing.

ETA. Maynard’s is for sale I’m told by several sources. 3.?? million is the asking. 30ish acres on Moose River. Ate a nice breakfast yesterday. We have had an annual group trip up to them for years during Fly In weekend. BYO drinks is always a hoot with that group. 😂

Back
Top Bottom