Ruger LC Carbine in 5.7 x 28

For .45, the important part is that you're hitting for over 800's foot pounds muzzle energy with the hottest stuff on the BBTI chart out of a 16" barrel. For comparison's sake, 9mm is around 600 foot pounds out of a 16" barrel with the BBTI chart hottest loads. (those are hot loads!)

10mm is even better, going from 650 to 1000 foot pounds between 4" and 16" barrels with the hottest loads on that BBTI chart.
100%

If one wanted to modernize the canonical lever action and revolver pairing (e.g., in .357 or .44), a carbine and pistol with common magazines in .45 or 10 would be really slick. That's some cyber-cowboy shiz right there.

For .45, the important part is that you're hitting for over 800's foot pounds muzzle energy with the hottest stuff on the BBTI chart out of a 16" barrel. For comparison's sake, 9mm is around 600 foot pounds out of a 16" barrel with the BBTI chart hottest loads. (those are hot loads!)

10mm is even better, going from 650 to 1000 foot pounds between 4" and 16" barrels with the hottest loads on that BBTI chart.
The .223 is even more velocity dependent on a longer barrel. I fire mine out of a 22," Savage 110 barrel at a chronographed 3,300 fps. Looks like it depends on caliber and powder burn rate.

Can't speak for everyone, but one of my gripes is that civilians can't (or at least can't easily) get the AP rounds this platform was designed around. So for $0.69 per, you're getting high quality, but still "sporting" ammo, not the same stuff militaries use. And that sporting ammo tends to highlight shortcomings of the platform with regards to hollow point expansion and at times, subpar ballistics (depending on round).
Not having access to the same ammo = infringement.

On paper (I wouldn’t know in real life) 5.7 AP is legit.

I like it. Interesting what they did with the barrel / bolt to keep it short… at 28” shorter than many pistol / SBR AR builds. And I can run my rimfire can on it!
I’m not yet convinced it’s any good, but I’m not going to knock it out of the gate. Potentially has potential is my stance!

The .223 is even more velocity dependent on a longer barrel. I fire mine out of a 22," Savage 110 barrel at a chronographed 3,300 fps. Looks like it depends on caliber and powder burn rate.

Well, sure, but .223/556 is an intermediate cartridge compared to a handgun round that is usually subsonic when fired from an actual handgun with .45. Where it gets interesting is muzzle energy. That BBTI chart shows .223 at around 1,100 foot pounds out of a 16" barrel. If you can get close to that with .45, that's certainly special (given, very hot rounds).

Not having access to the same ammo = infringement.

On paper (I wouldn’t know in real life) 5.7 AP is legit.

Same here. Only read the data. Does seem to solve many of the complaints about 5.7 and appears to be really good at defeating armor. That's why I feel this platform gets both an unfair shake and an unqualified boost. Unfair because people complain about performance, but are using civilian sporting rounds for testing. A boost because people also tout this as an "armor killer", but it really isn't when you don't have the AP rounds it was meant to use. Very few put this platform into context.

Isn't the idea to not over penetrate and dump the rounds energy into the target?

For optimal tissue damage, yes. But keep in mind, this was designed for close quarters VIP detail with the assumption enemy body armor was in play. Defeating the armor with high rate of fire was the #1 priority.

For optimal tissue damage, yes. But keep in mind, this was designed for close quarters VIP detail with the assumption enemy body armor was in play. Defeating the armor with high rate of fire was the #1 priority.
Yeah I agree AP for people known to wear armor for sure

Peruvian special forces brought the P90 and 5.7 into the limelight during a hostage rescue mission back in the 1990s. Yes. It did the job. A .22 caliber Beretta Model 70 did the job, in the hands of a highly trained Israeli sky marshal on a snow covered runway in Zurich, Switzerland back in 1970. The El Al sky marshal, a highly decorated IDF paratrooper, shot and killed two heavily armed Palestinian hijackers. Training can trump equipment in some circumstances, but you cannot compare your average civilian with highly trained commandos.

almost as butt ugly as a hi point at least they make one in 10 mm. i would spring for a fn p90 instead
If you're carrying the Ruger 57, then the Ruger LC Carbine is interesting as a trunk gun, shares the same 20-round magazines as Rugers 5.7 handgun.

My NFA trust includes an SBR'd FN® PS90™, it was too much work to obtain for the FN to ride in the trunk, and the magazine-interchangeable KelTec P50 ruins the lines of my suit.
mMoGqi2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom