• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger Mark IV

TBalls

NES Member
It sure took long enough, but Ruger finally addressed the overly complicated field strip. I'll admit it never bothered me all that much, but this is pretty slick. Go to 4:45 for the good part.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm assuming it still has a mag disconnect, but that's good ruger was able to make the mags drop free. i've had to remove my mag disconnect safety to achieve mag dropping free. looks like w the mark IV that won't be necessary. definitely take-down looks easier too although kinda looks flimsy?

overall Ruger needs to bring back the PC9 carbine before they go re-designing their entire lineup

I'll admit it never bothered me all that much...

I have a Mark II and it bothers me. If this becomes MA compliant I may look to switch, but I don't find myself shooting 22 much these days. It looks like a nice upgrade though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a Mark II, and I don't like taking it down to clean, so I don't.

I would definitely get one of these if it's available; the Mark II I have is really well broken in and sturdy, I hope they still make the
trigger and other parts heavy duty. I tried the 22/45 and it seemed kind of cheap in comparison to the old Mark II.

I tried the 22/45 and it seemed kind of cheap in comparison to the old Mark II.
maybe because the frames are zytel, not steel as the mkIIs are? last time i handled something made of zytel it felt, and looked, like a hard plastic. those remington xp-100s had zytel stocks, felt like a cheap piece of junk.

I've had a few Mklll's over the last 30 years, and I go out of my way to avoid the major clean, as it takes so long to get them back together.

I see the new take down being a weak link , especially for those that feel the need to take down your ruger for cleaning often.

I asked the man with the most knowledge at our club about taking down my new mark III
He asked why is it broken...
Yes 22 gets dirt but not that bad. If you don't over lube your MKIII "should" go many thousand rounds with out needing to disassemble to clean.

I feel I need to clean my 22s MORE. I don't think I over oil but they seem to become a gritty mess rather quickly. Easy to clean with no scrubbing involved but needing cleaning more often. Will they function? Sure. I must be too picky I guess.

I feel I need to clean my 22s MORE. I don't think I over oil but they seem to become a gritty mess rather quickly. Easy to clean with no scrubbing involved but needing cleaning more often. Will they function? Sure. I must be too picky I guess.

I just blast my Ruger MKIII Hunter with Gunscrubber then lube it with Hornady one shot cleaner + dry lube.

I see the new take down being a weak link , especially for those that feel the need to take down your ruger for cleaning often.

I asked the man with the most knowledge at our club about taking down my new mark III
He asked why is it broken...
Yes 22 gets dirt but not that bad. If you don't over lube your MKIII "should" go many thousand rounds with out needing to disassemble to clean.

There was a thread over on the M14forum a few years ago where someone said they had fired over 10K rounds before they finally broke it down to clean and it was a mess. IIRC it even had a broken spring but it just kept chugging along.

Just WOW!! It looks really nice. I have a 22/45 sitting in my safe for the last six months that I still have not felt like dealing with. I will certainly be buying one of those, or the Victory if they are ever approved.

There was a thread over on the M14forum a few years ago where someone said they had fired over 10K rounds before they finally broke it down to clean and it was a mess. IIRC it even had a broken spring but it just kept chugging along.

you mean to tell me people actually CLEAN their guns?

ftr...i've got over 2000 rounds through my MkIII without a cleaning...plan on going at least another 3K before i even think about it.

I wouldn't bother getting one until aftermarket parts (mainly for the trigger) are available...

if you end up with a gritty mess you might be over lubing?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't bother getting one until aftermarket parts (mainly for the trigger) are available...

also to proof out the new take down system? I see it now bang bang bang WTF as the barrel assemby flops off.

I'm not afraid to admit that I have a 22/45 that I couldn't shoot for about a year because I couldn't get the damn thing back together properly.
Was getting ready to take it to someone when I finally got it right.
Wont be stripping that one down for awhile if ever............[grin]

I was in a gun shop a few years ago when someone came in with a disassembled MKll in a box, couldn't get it back together.
The salesman says no problem, let me show you. He couldn't get it either, so has a brainstorm and takes apart a brand new gun to refresh his memory.
When I left, they had the customer's gun and TWO brand new guns apart with no clue how to put them back together.
They're no longer in business.

I was in a gun shop a few years ago when someone came in with a disassembled MKll in a box, couldn't get it back together.
The salesman says no problem, let me show you. He couldn't get it either, so has a brainstorm and takes apart a brand new gun to refresh his memory.
When I left, they had the customer's gun and TWO brand new guns apart with no clue how to put them back together.
They're no longer in business.

Ha! I don't doubt it. This video shows some pretty awesome takedown techniques. It's intent is to show how to install the Majestic product but even if you aren't interested in the product itself, it's a GREAT video to learn the ins and outs of the Mark III. I've refereed to this video several times.

Now that it's on my mind again, I just might buy this take down product today. A local shop had them a few months ago and they seem to fix the only 2 issues I have with the Mark III. Take down and the mag disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_K8jp52EHg

-Tony
ps- You'll cringe when "Dino" lets the guts of the lower spill all over the bench. [rofl]

Ha! I don't doubt it. This video shows some pretty awesome takedown techniques. It's intent is to show how to install the Majestic product but even if you aren't interested in the product itself, it's a GREAT video to learn the ins and outs of the Mark III. I've refereed to this video several times.

Now that it's on my mind again, I just might buy this take down product today. A local shop had them a few months ago and they seem to fix the only 2 issues I have with the Mark III. Take down and the mag disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_K8jp52EHg

-Tony
ps- You'll cringe when "Dino" lets the guts of the lower spill all over the bench. [rofl]

That is AWESOME!

What a complete shit show installing that Majestic kit. LOL!

The gunsmith in the video i listed has been in the business close to 40 years. That's why he can do the install in 17 minutes. Took me 2.5 hours.

30 minutes of that time was trying to find the Safety Detent that popped out because I let the sear/hammer pin slide all the way out. DOH! Of course all of the pistol's innards puked all over the place exactly like in the video. LOL

If anyone takes this project on, I suggest to at least tape the Sear pin into place so that doesn't go flying. It's easy to just apply a piece of tape on both sides of the frame keeping it in place.

Mamma Mia!

Back
Top Bottom