Ruger Mark IV

I'm resurrecting this thread because it seems like the appropriate place to ask my questions.

I've shot Mark IIIs and loved it and decided it's time for me to own one of these. I'm going to pick up a Mark IV. I'd like to better understand the practical differences between the Target and the Hunter models. My main purpose will be range / target shooting with some plinking. I am certain either model will outperform me, but I also hope to grow into them. I'm just not sure whether the fluted and longer barrel of the Hunter model makes a practical difference in this sort of shooting. School me?

I'm resurrecting this thread because it seems like the appropriate place to ask my questions.

I've shot Mark IIIs and loved it and decided it's time for me to own one of these. I'm going to pick up a Mark IV. I'd like to better understand the practical differences between the Target and the Hunter models. My main purpose will be range / target shooting with some plinking. I am certain either model will outperform me, but I also hope to grow into them. I'm just not sure whether the fluted and longer barrel of the Hunter model makes a practical difference in this sort of shooting. School me?

The Hunter is the deluxe version of the 3 new Mark IV's. Its all stainless. Long barrel and wooden grips. The longer barrel makes it more accurate than the short barrels.

The Target comes in 2 flavors. Both have 5.5" barrels and plastic grips. The least expensive of the 2 Target models uses an aluminum frame combined to a blued steel barrel/receiver. The more expensive Target model is all stainless.

I was at Four Seasons Firearms (Woburn) today and asked about if/when the Mark IVs are going to be sold in MA. If you look on the EOPSS list, the Mark IV model numbers they show do not correspond with the model numbers currently showing on Ruger's site. I read elsewhere that Ruger has assigned these specific model numbers (showing on the EOPSS) for the versions of the Mark IV they plan to build and sell in Massachusetts. So that clears up (perhaps) one mystery, but still no word from the factory as to when they plan to build and then ship Mass-compliant Mark IVs. Be assured that when they do (and I'm betting they will) release a Mass-compliant IV, they will be very, very hard to come by for quite some time! Just sayin'!

Happy holidays!

I was at Four Seasons Firearms (Woburn) today and asked about if/when the Mark IVs are going to be sold in MA. If you look on the EOPSS list, the Mark IV model numbers they show do not correspond with the model numbers currently showing on Ruger's site. I read elsewhere that Ruger has assigned these specific model numbers (showing on the EOPSS) for the versions of the Mark IV they plan to build and sell in Massachusetts. So that clears up (perhaps) one mystery, but still no word from the factory as to when they plan to build and then ship Mass-compliant Mark IVs. Be assured that when they do (and I'm betting they will) release a Mass-compliant IV, they will be very, very hard to come by for quite some time! Just sayin'!

Happy holidays!

FS sent an email saying they have Ruger target pistols in stock. Did you happen to catch what models they have? Any 22/45 LITE?

The Hunter is the deluxe version of the 3 new Mark IV's. Its all stainless. Long barrel and wooden grips. The longer barrel makes it more accurate than the short barrels.

The Target comes in 2 flavors. Both have 5.5" barrels and plastic grips. The least expensive of the 2 Target models uses an aluminum frame combined to a blued steel barrel/receiver. The more expensive Target model is all stainless.

Is the Hunter model's barrel a fluted bull barrel or a fluted heavy barrel or... ? I know the Target model is a bull barrel, not that I really know what that means. But I can research.

Happy holidays!

I was in FS the other day and asked about them as well. They said that they don't think they're available in MA yet. When I mentioned that Minuteman Armory had sold some recently so I figured they probably are available, the kid got snippy with me and said, "Well then go get one from them." Then he started talking about how it was probably something shady like selling a non-compliant model. So, unprofessional behavior aside, if FS is to be believed the MA-compliant models are not yet being sold.

I shot Hunter MkIV and the trigger is rather heavy and gritty. The gun feeds and ejects CCI high velocity ammo reliably. Volquartsen parts mostly do not fit, but most folks will not care I suppose. Disassembly and assembly is a breeze. I will keep my MkIII with the Majestic Arms kit. Cleaning is just as easy as MkIV and the gun is already 'smithed out to be competition-ready. But overall, if you are just starting MkIV is worth the wait. Excellent design improvement.

Last edited:
Is the Hunter model's barrel a fluted bull barrel or a fluted heavy barrel or... ? I know the Target model is a bull barrel, not that I really know what that means. But I can research.

I was in FS the other day and asked about them as well. They said that they don't think they're available in MA yet. When I mentioned that Minuteman Armory had sold some recently so I figured they probably are available, the kid got snippy with me and said, "Well then go get one from them." Then he started talking about how it was probably something shady like selling a non-compliant model. So, unprofessional behavior aside, if FS is to be believed the MA-compliant models are not yet being sold.

Checked their Facebook and Nov 22 they had a post that said they had a handful of the blued version for a promo does anyone know if minuteman has any more in stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which of the various things is absurd? Or all of it?

All of the bs from four seasons. There are plenty of shops selling these. Also, they are on the list. So when FS files the FA10, how the hell would the state know which SKU/model number they're selling if it's just being registered as a Ruger MKIV?? Assuming everything FS said is true...

The Hunter has the fluted barrel.

There have been various Target branded versions over the years ranging from 5" to 6 7/8 to even 10" barrels.

The hunter is no more accurate than a Target version of equivalent length. Also. The length only enhances accuracy because it allows for a longer sight radius. If you plan to use an optic, then you may want to consider a 5 1/2" bull barrel target gun. I've always found the 5 1/2 inch bull barrel gun to be the most nicely balanced.

Don

p.s. By the way. Here is a (bad) shot of an early Mk1 Target gun that I own. Its a 4 digit serial number and has a 5 1/2" tapered barrel along with a factory compensator.

Last edited:
A member over on the 1911 forums is reporting that Volquartsen emailed him today, indicating that they now have in stock the accurizing kit for the MKIV and an extended bolt release.

They claim a crisp, clean 2.5# trigger and the kit will eliminate the magazine disconnect.

If I knew I could easily sell my MKIII Hunter i would sell it and get the MKIV. But who is going to buy a MKIII over a MKIV?

If they were the same price new, yes. But they aren't, yours is used and will be cheaper. Someone will want it, if fairly priced.

A bore snake solves the cleaning problem. I have a Buckmark which I prefer to the Ruger, but it too, has a "cleaning problem". Disassembly is easy, but you have to remove the barrel to clean it. I have owned two Buckmarks and both had to be zeroed after reassembly, a real PITA considering the ridiculous price of 22 LR ammo. I clean the breech face and bolt with solvent and a tooth brush, blow the action clean with compressed air, and run a Bore Snake through the barrel. A similar treatment would work well with the older Rugers.

Despite my love affair with the Buckmark, this new Ruger shows a lot of promise. A Mark IV with a 45 style grip angle in an alloy frame and a lightweight barrel would make an excellent rimfire steel gun. Nice to see that Ruger is still improving their old work horse.

late to this thread but....

The stupidest part of the MKIII take down procedure is you need to insert the magazine and pull the trigger to drop the hammer because of the mag "safety". That's not safe!

If you are capable of installing a "quick takedown kit" how can you not just learn to clean the MKIII as is?

I like the MK IV. Yes, it's expensive but god bless them for making a non POS .22 pistol. There are so many plastic and pot metal .22's out there I love that they not only use metal but machined it and not stamped.

Four Seasons is sold out of both models. I'll be interested in how well this gun does over time and how shooters like the purchase. I'm holding out for the standard model myself - not much for bull or target.

Four Seasons is sold out of both models. I'll be interested in how well this gun does over time and how shooters like the purchase. I'm holding out for the standard model myself - not much for bull or target.

the Mk4 looks nice. once they release the 22/45 version i will be in the market. my only concern at this time is whether the upper-lower lockup stays snug over time. also it's sort of easy to inadvertently hit the unlock button on the rear of the pistol. not sure if this could be issue while firing. both will have to see.

- - - Updated - - -

The stupidest part of the MKIII take down procedure is you need to insert the magazine and pull the trigger to drop the hammer because of the mag "safety". That's not safe!

If you are capable of installing a "quick takedown kit" how can you not just learn to clean the MKIII as is?

agreed. the Mk3 in native form is simply unacceptable. the mags do not drop free. the LCI is retarded, etc. The tandemkross kit to replace both the mag disconnect and LCI really turns it into a much more enjoyable range gun. such upgrades really shouldn't be necessary, but at least they're relatively easy to install and well machine parts.

late to this thread but....

I like the MK IV. Yes, it's expensive but god bless them for making a non POS .22 pistol. There are so many plastic and pot metal .22's out there I love that they not only use metal but machined it and not stamped.

Anyone who uses their Mk3 even a little bit should know how easy it is to disable the mag safety with a simple bushing.

The added benefit is that the mags slide right out of the magwell when the mag release is pressed and are easier to insert.

Don

the Mk4 looks nice. once they release the 22/45 version i will be in the market. my only concern at this time is whether the upper-lower lockup stays snug over time. also it's sort of easy to inadvertently hit the unlock button on the rear of the pistol. not sure if this could be issue while firing. both will have to see.

- - - Updated - - -

agreed. the Mk3 in native form is simply unacceptable. the mags do not drop free. the LCI is retarded, etc. The tandemkross kit to replace both the mag disconnect and LCI really turns it into a much more enjoyable range gun. such upgrades really shouldn't be necessary, but at least they're relatively easy to install and well machine parts.

TandemKross also makes an easy take down kit that is an enormous help to people who have difficulty dis/re assembling the MkX.

It doesnt' bother me anymore. My first gun was a Mk2 Government Target gun. I've owned since I was given it by my dad as a Xmas or Birthday present around age 15. That was 33 years ago.

Even still, i picked up the TandemKross kit at SHOT a couple of years ago along with their trigger kit. Its a good company with great products run by nice people.

Don

TandemKross also makes an easy take down kit that is an enormous help to people who have difficulty dis/re assembling the MkX.

It doesnt' bother me anymore. My first gun was a Mk2 Government Target gun. I've owned since I was given it by my dad as a Xmas or Birthday present around age 15. That was 33 years ago.

Even still, i picked up the TandemKross kit at SHOT a couple of years ago along with their trigger kit. Its a good company with great products run by nice people.

Don
Is this the tool?

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither-MKIII-and-2245-Pistol-Pal_p_52.html

Mine is due for a cleaning but I dread putting it back together. I only did it once, when I put in some volquartsen trigger parts. The parts were easy... reassembly... not so much.

The Mark IV 22/45 is available now. http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/specSheets/43909.html It's not Mass approved yet.

A bore snake solves the cleaning problem. I have a Buckmark which I prefer to the Ruger, but it too, has a "cleaning problem". Disassembly is easy, but you have to remove the barrel to clean it. I have owned two Buckmarks and both had to be zeroed after reassembly, a real PITA considering the ridiculous price of 22 LR ammo. I clean the breech face and bolt with solvent and a tooth brush, blow the action clean with compressed air, and run a Bore Snake through the barrel. A similar treatment would work well with the older Rugers.

Despite my love affair with the Buckmark, this new Ruger shows a lot of promise. A Mark IV with a 45 style grip angle in an alloy frame and a lightweight barrel would make an excellent rimfire steel gun. Nice to see that Ruger is still improving their old work horse.

Back
Top Bottom