Ruger SR1911 Commander

I have the CMD. Bought from FS a couple of months ago. Spent casing test indicates it's from the same mid-Jan batch. No signs of rust yet, including under the grip panels. I keep my gun fairly well oiled and clean with CLP though. Other than the front sight breaking off (twice), I haven't had any major problems with this gun. Knock on wood.

Take it easy slick, he knows his sh!t when it comes to 1911s.

We're all fanbois of one brand or another.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

If its not QC issues than what is it?

QC for process inspections is usually different people than final product inspection.

My guess is that those spots simply do not show up until a few weeks to months after shipping, and QC has no procedure for accelerating and inspecting future rust through.

What this points to I think, is a failure in the Manufacturing process. Somehow a batch of frames missed a passivising step or were not in the bath long enough or the solution was contaminated or not checked and changed on schedule.

So many things can go wrong that have nothing to do with QC. Unless you want them inspecting every work station every hour you are going to get things like this happening. With that kind of QC you can probably double the cost of your new SIG.

Fact is, people eff up. Even people employed by SIG.

Last edited:
QC for process inspections is usually different people than final product inspection.

My guess is that those spots simply do not show up until a few weeks to months after shipping, and QC has no procedure for accelerating and inspecting future rust through.

What this points to I think, is a failure in the Manufacturing process. Somehow a batch of frames missed a passivising step or were not in the bath long enough or the solution was contaminated or not checked and changed on schedule.

So many things can go wrong that have nothing to do with QC. Unless you want them inspecting every work station every hour you are going to get things like this happening. With that kind of QC you can probably double the cost of your new SIG.

Fact is, people eff up. Even people employed by SIG.

Um, please make sure you are calling me anything other than "sig fan boy". (That wasn't me). Yes, I am a fan boy but I don't come on here bashing others people's stuff just cause I like something different. I will on the other hand call out douche bags willing to derail whole threads with their own self importance ( referencing other thread here )

The best thing about a rusty Ruger is the same thing about a rust S&W..... Send it back and they fix it no questions asked. Yes, manufacturing mistakes happen o matter who made it at least buy from one that will take care of you in the unlikely event something does go wrong.

Life's short, guns are expensive.... Have fun and ignore Internet commando ninjas

A friend of mine has this same issue. He recently purchased an SR1911. The shell casing is dated 6/1/13...
He sent an email to Ruger, we'll see where it goes. Based on my past experience he shouldn't have any problems with customer service.

Is this what you guys were seeing?!?!?!
View attachment 75434

Any word from Ruger yet on either one of these cases?

Ruger SR1911 Commander **UPDATE**check your guns for rust**

Any word from Ruger yet on either one of these cases?

I emailed them this morning since they are closed. Will call Monday morning. I'm sure they'll do the right thing and take of this. It seems to have spread a bit more. Will keep you guys updated.

I emailed them this morning since they are closed. Will call Monday morning. I'm sure they'll do the right thing and take of this. It seems to have spread a bit more. Will keep you guys updated.

You should ask how many cases of this they have had, and if they know what is at the root of this problem.

I know they won't tell you, but I am just curious.

At first I wasn't sure if it was the gun or me (the way I was storing it), but clearly not this many people are storing their guns improperly.

So far my commander model is freckle free and it has the mid January fired case. I make sure to check it like once a week though

If I find out that it's nothing but poor QC or something, I'm not buying another Ruger. Really wish we could post production dates on all the NES members with affected firearms to see the spread. If it's all over the place, shame on them.

If I find out that it's nothing but poor QC or something, I'm not buying another Ruger. Really wish we could post production dates on all the NES members with affected firearms to see the spread. If it's all over the place, shame on them.

I am not a big fan of Ruger, but I wouldn't swear them off due to this one issue. I have a lot of respect for them as a company.

The market wanted an affordable, reliable 1911 and they did a great job at filling that niche.

I am not a big fan of Ruger, but I wouldn't swear them off due to this one issue. I have a lot of respect for them as a company.

The market wanted an affordable, reliable 1911 and they did a great job at filling that niche.

This wasn't just pinned to the 1911s, turns out there were a few models affected. If it was a bad batch of steel, then it's all good. But with other firearms out there that I'd buy over a Ruger I would most likely switch.

Pulling this out of my ass I don't really think its a qc thing per-say .
Stainless shouldn't rust like this. Some alloys yeah can rust . So bad mix and they got half ass test results.
The finish on these looks to me a satin finish . One way to do this is with a sand blasting .

At my work we have a sand blaster for clean and dirty stuff . Most sand blaster reuse the powder over and over till it breaks down . And there's many typed of media you can use .

It could be as simple as the wrong type and its being embedded and rust later. Or some one sand blasted it pig iron etc dust was embedded in the surface .

Or ruger just sucks

Buy Remington buy often ......

Remington takes Gov pay outs to stay in NY.

Remington can **** themselves and go bankrupt.

I own Rugers now, and I will own Rugers in the future. Their guns are tanks. A couple of guns have rust issues, and all the ****ing day ladies start shitting their pants.

My best friend in Michigan owns about 30 Rugers, and has had no issues at all. He owns mostly their SA revolvers, but still.

Stainless steel will rust if exposed to the elements long enough. I know one sure fire way to make any SS gun rust just clean it with your every day Brillo pad. By cleaning with a steel wool pad your embedding microscopic pieces of the pad into the SS surface and given time it will rust and your SS finish is now rusty. Stainless steel is rust resistant not rust proof , a truly SS would be so brittle as to be useless. My former employer made jet engines and we had all kinds parts made of exotic SS alloys and if they sat out side long enough they would have some amount of rust on them. I've hade several dealings with Ruger about problem with various firearms and they've always corrected the problem with little fuss

I didn't mean to imply they don't rust just they should take longer.

Hey I got my Remington before that crap happen :p

Last edited:
Despite the fact that I was following this thread, I never bothered to look at my EDC 9c until today -

image.jpg

Re: Ruger SR1911 Commander **UPDATE**check your guns for rust**

After 9 years of working in high end aerospace machining (turbine blades) I can tell you that stainless (or stain-less as we used to say) will rust. But the rust you are seeing on these guns is from contaminated lots of material. There are inclusions that should not be there which are causing the spots. These are defective, make them replace them. Ruger would not necessarily know until they start showing up. But its a material defect just the same.

Stainless steel will rust if exposed to the elements long enough.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Despite the fact that I was following this thread, I never bothered to look at my EDC 9c until today -

What happened to their stainless I wonder?

That is exactly what my Commander 1911 looked like. Yours ia an EDC, but even that shouldn't rust.

I just checked my Government 1911, and it's still fine. This has to be contained to certain batches of steel or something.

I have the full size SR1911 I bought over a year ago. It hasn't shown any signs of this but I certainly hope it doesn't start to. I'll be pretty disappointed. This thread is the first I have heard about this happening to these guns. Quite a surprise.

Last edited:
They should probably passivate all of their stainless components post manufacturing. Would probably prevent this from happening.

What happened to their stainless I wonder?

That is exactly what my Commander 1911 looked like. Yours ia an EDC, but even that shouldn't rust.

I just checked my Government 1911, and it's still fine. This has to be contained to certain batches of steel or something.

I'd like to see the SR1911 with the black nitride finish that the SR semi autos are available in. Looks cooler (subjective) and also more rust resistant than stainless.

Back
Top Bottom