saltwater fishing in the winter-

theres nothing really around except smelt which i do not know much about. years ago when ground fish were plentiful guys would use clams at night and catch cod right off the beach.

yeah-- smelts are nasty, imo, although the rest of my italian family loves to eat them :barf:

i know i have a better shot at seeing elvis than catching a striper in the winter, but i was hoping that there was something else out there that i could perhaps snag...

i really could not find much on the net for fishing the cape in the winter, so i was curious about everyone else's experiences...

Ponds are the only game in town and with that, safe ice isn't everywhere. Other than that besides the winter cod party boats that are just plain torture, I wouldn't really bother.

You can drive a few hours south down to NY/NJ area for stripers or blackfish (tautog).

yeah-- smelts are nasty, imo, although the rest of my italian family loves to eat them :barf:

i know i have a better shot at seeing elvis than catching a striper in the winter, but i was hoping that there was something else out there that i could perhaps snag...

i really could not find much on the net for fishing the cape in the winter, so i was curious about everyone else's experiences...

Theres is a winter striper fishery in the Thames river in Connecticut. Theres a warm water outflow near a power plant in the river and striper's will bite all year there. Also you can catch them in the Charles near the outflow of one of the power plants there. All I have done is read about these in on the water magazine but I would like to try to some of these opportunities some time.

i was reading about holdover stripers-- but i know there are none here in buttermilk :(

buttermilk is about 200yrds down the street from me so i have fished it a lot. if you go down to the floating dock by electric ave during the summer you will hammer schoolies on a freshwater rod and small sluggos.

oh no kidding-- we are on indian mound...

where is this floating dock?

I'm off of buzzards bay Dr, I'm right down the street from you[rofl]. i have gone fishing near red brook too during the summer and caught schoolies but its a mosquito pit. you can see the dock when you look to your left when your going over the bridge on the side where buzzards bait is.

we have a rubber dinghy- i was looking at a bathometric map of buttermilk and off to our right is a pretty deep spot- i was told there are nice keepers in there in the summer

we are on cleveland way-- that is too funny! you are within walking distance [rofl]

the private beach right across from my road has striper's during the summer. night time is the best to fish a shallow area like buttermilk because its shallow and they like the cover of darkness.

A few years back there was talk of hold over stripers in Scorton Creek in Sandwich.

I've heard that as well, along with the mythical sea-run browns.

Mike at M&D's told me there was a small, sluggish hold-over population of stripers in the Wareham River, behind Main St. I never bothered to try. If you are lucky enough to find him in the shop this time of year, swing in and ask.

More hear-say, I had a few customers when I worked in Dartmouth who swore there were hold overs in the Acushnet River. Beyond them telling me they would fish from the Fairhaven side, I could never nail them down on where they were fishing.

Mid-March used to be great fishing for winter flounder. Onset was a hot spot. Alas, the fishing was too good, and legal seasons came into effect and most of the fish are gone before you can keep them.

Haven't tried it but I have been told that the cod come right in the shallows during winter, the water is cold enough. Frank Daignault (sp) used to write for On The Water and he among others talked about it. Several articles over the past few years in OTW about hold over stripers.

About 20 years ago my grandfather caught a keeper striper through the ice on Follins pond on the Cape while fishing for perch.

The only keeper he caught all year.[laugh]

About 20 years ago my grandfather caught a keeper striper through the ice on Follins pond on the Cape while fishing for perch.

The only keeper he caught all year.[laugh]

it probably had a herring run attached to it and the striper followed the herring up and got trapped in the pond. stripers spawn is fresh and brackish water so they can stand fresh and saltwater.

when i was trying to search the web for winter striper fishing, i kept getting links for freshwater land locked stripers in more southerly locations.

Back
Top Bottom