Savage Model 24DL 22LR/20Ga Serial Number????

Okay,

Just started looking at one of the guns that my father left to me.

It is one of the over/under 22s with a 20Ga shotgun. It has the all the
manufacturer marks, model number, caliber markings. But I can't find the serial number.
Anyone have experience with these? And can tell me where I am supposed to look?

I haven't started to disassemble it yet. I was hoping to find a blowup drawing first. From my mother's memory, it was purchased in the mid 1950s. This model was built 1950-1965.

I know it doesn't have a lot of value, but it was the very first gun I shot when I was a kid at 6 or 7 years old.

Without a mfr and model number, I doubt that anyone can tell you where to look for a S/N.

Before 1968, there was NO LEGAL requirement for S/Ns on guns. Many did to track them for warranty or other reasons, but no law required it before the GCA of 1968.

So, if the gun was made before that date, no problem with owning a gun with no S/N and reporting it on an FA-10 as such.

Len,

Sorry, I put the model and manufacturer in the title of the post, but not
repeated in the post itself. Sorry. Savage Model 24DL

But, thanks, so if this is a 50s gun, then you are probably right, and there is no serial number.

My bad for not spotting info in title. Just noticed that while editing a reply that info isn't visible in title bar.

Oh well, from an older Blue Book, there is quite a history of Savage, numerous take-overs, different companies using the name, etc.

Model 24DL mfd 1962-1969, values (2000) vary from ~$90-140 in shooting condition.

So it's very likely not to have a S/N or it could be buried under the wood (since nobody required it to be visible).

HTH

traveler57 said:
I know it doesn't have a lot of value, but it was the very first gun I shot when I was a kid at 6 or 7 years old.

On the contrary, Traveler, it sounds to me like it has so much value that it is literally irreplaceable... Sounds like a keeper to me!

Back
Top Bottom