scope turret tracking...little fun today.

mac1911

NES Member

If you never really tested your turret adjustments especially on inexpensive scopes you might find some answers to frustrating "zero" issues.

Was working with new pellets today and needed to rezero my scope.
Scope: Hawke AirMax 4x12x50 AO Map6 reticle. Overall a great scope clear glass and nice reticle. I generally don't touch the turrets once zeroed I use the hold over marks on the reticle which if you use the Hawke software and chairgun pro system are darn accurate for critter blasting.
50 yard small bore target at 50 yards 3/4" 10 ring, discovery pellet gun JSB 13.4 grain pellets

Today I will show a little quirk this scope has as do most inexpensive scopes...once zeroed this scope holds so not a huge issue wit me.
First two shots where at 6 oclock. OK so need to come up. I over calculated and came up 16 clicks....next shot went 2 oclock 7 ring...see tracking is not great on this scope. I know its not me. So now that I remember that my clicks are now worth 1/8" per click I dial 8 clicks left which is the shot 2 oclock 9 ring still need about a 1" left and 1" down so I dial in 8 clicks L and down for the last 5 shots. I quit at the point as I started to sweat badly and didn't want to ruin a fine group...
This scope only seems to track poorly dialing up elevation does not seem to ever do it coming down and windage is always darn close.

good day

Last edited:
Off topic but you can't beat those pools for short money. Add a used filter of Craig's List and they are great for the wife and son to cool off in... and sometimes me.

Off topic but you can't beat those pools for short money. Add a used filter of Craig's List and they are great for the wife and son to cool off in... and sometimes me.

Yes they are and easy to set up... I added a 2nd pump in line and that was great. So far every used pump I have found had issues...rotted,cracked not work at all. For 39$ a second pump seems to have worked.
IIRC I paid 170$ for this pool....discontinued model and 15% off for signing up for TRus CC.
Picked up some Bday and Xmas gifts also.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-swim-they-have-to-work!?highlight=Intex+pool

I used to have the same problem until I was taught that, when adjusting up, you should always go 2 or 3 clicks past where you want to be then dial back down. Something about how the mechanism works. I would imagine that on high end scopes it probably isn't necessary. I have done it ever since and have had much better results. I pretty much do it for all adjustments. Considering the fraction of a sec it takes to go 2 clicks past and dial back, why not.

Backlash in the mechanism - always approach the end point from the same direction.
Shouldn't be a problem with springs to retain position but o-rings sealing the turret shafts could retain the slop and slowly change zero as the springs take that slop up.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

I used to have the same problem until I was taught that, when adjusting up, you should always go 2 or 3 clicks past where you want to be then dial back down. Something about how the mechanism works. I would imagine that on high end scopes it probably isn't necessary. I have done it ever since and have had much better results. I pretty much do it for all adjustments. Considering the fraction of a sec it takes to go 2 clicks past and dial back, why not.

Correct that can help lash in the adjustments can be awful on some scopes...take a ride back when 4x 5/8" tube rim fire scopes where horrible. You could dial back and the cross hairs would not move at all then jump!

If I had the time I would strap my rifle down and mount a few different scopes on it and do a,basic tracking test. Scopes really show their face when you adjust them a lot.
I like to do the box test and run about 8 min apart.
These guys do a pretty good job of showing some issues...I know it's close enough for most of us but if you are scratching your head it's time to get to know your scope.

I am NOT high level shooter with Irons I'm a 3moa shooter with my scope rifle I'm floating at 1moa as,long as I'm shooting well. I'm pretty generous with myself. I shoot this test and use 2" aiming dots at 100 yards. If all my shots are with in the 2" aiming dots that's good enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom