• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Scouting for deer/tree stands

This season will be my first deer season, I’m a little lost. I have been scouting, in the local area. I have a stream that runs along a field/marsh area, the woods around it are kind of open and the ground I covered in ferns. I guy who owns the property next to it, takes a lot of deer in this area. Today I found varies large and small deer tracks, also coyote tracks. Does this sound like a good area for a tree stand? If so what type of tree stand: ladder, or climbing? What features of terrain should I look for that would prove to be a positive deer area?

Try to find certain concentrated activity areas to place a stand. Intersections of deer trails are good. Places they are forced to go like openings in stone walls and stream crossings are good also. If the area is an oak flat it can be good but try to figure out how they are entering it and set up near there.

Be careful leaving stands out in the woods. You may have some theft/vandalism issues if you are in an area that people frequent. (Ask me how I know). Even if it posted there still may be a lot of people walking and other hunters who have no respect.

With the hope one will walk across my front lawn where the turkey's went the other night, I'll just sit on my balcony.

Stand recommendation

By a climber, because as a newbie you may want to change to better locations. I just bought a cheapo from Sportsmansguide.com for $135 or so, then saw Kittery Trading Post (ktp.com)is having Septemberfest this week (starting tomorrow 9/1) and selling a Summit for $199, which is a great maker. Think light, less than 20 lbs. Just took a Bowhunter Education course through MassWildlife (see Education Programs) for free. Good class. I'm a newbie, but others did it to get their NH stamp. Can't put screws, nails, or cut limbs in State Parks. Is it your property? Are they crossing the stream? You are looking to be just off those pinch points between food and bedding places, and the big bucks will stick to cover more. Swamps provide safety, look for high ground there to be used as bedding. Look for deer to be entering the inside corners of field, and hanging on the edges. Coming out of the fields in the AM, out of the bedding in the PM so play the wind accordingly. +1 for Google Maps. I use Google earth. Good luck.

By a climber, because as a newbie you may want to change to better locations. I just bought a cheapo from Sportsmansguide.com for $135 or so, then saw Kittery Trading Post (ktp.com)is having Septemberfest this week (starting tomorrow 9/1) and selling a Summit for $199, which is a great maker. Think light, less than 20 lbs. Just took a Bowhunter Education course through MassWildlife (see Education Programs) for free. Good class. I'm a newbie, but others did it to get their NH stamp. Can't put screws, nails, or cut limbs in State Parks. Is it your property? Are they crossing the stream? You are looking to be just off those pinch points between food and bedding places, and the big bucks will stick to cover more. Swamps provide safety, look for high ground there to be used as bedding. Look for deer to be entering the inside corners of field, and hanging on the edges. Coming out of the fields in the AM, out of the bedding in the PM so play the wind accordingly. +1 for Google Maps. I use Google earth. Good luck.

I just looked at Google earth. I can not tell to much about the land in the area. It's privet land and I have written permission to hunt there. The guy who owns the land calms takes 3 deer a year, and his son 3. He has stands all over the place a 100 years before the area I am looking at. There are many tracks, but I still find not POO. I’m going to invest in a game camera ASAP.

There is a steam hill that runs along the field and thicket area. On the opposite side of the field is the stream.

look for food

Look for food sources. White Oak, Beech, Deer usually "POO" where they eat.
since you have found tracks with no "poo", you may be tromping around in bedding areas, not good.
Scout late afternoon near a good size field. you may get lucky and see one come out to feed right when that sun goes down. Then you may find the travel route.
Keep the wind in your face though.
Good luck!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom