Second form of Identification

I once presented my real estate license at a gun shop by accident and got the funniest look [smile]. I think his words were, "what is... [thinking]". Dam things are the same size with white backgrounds.

Fortunately I did have the LTC.

I would have filed a complaint with the store manager. There's no reason for that.

I would have, but she was just a moron.. If her intent was malicious, maybe, but she was just ignorant. And I had my 2 young children, and just wanted out.

As a matter of fact, yes, there is something to back that up. The difference is codified in MGL Chapter 138 Section 34b http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/138-34b.htm

We always struggle with that law down at the liquor store. We're close to the RI border, and so we get a lot of RI customers. Do we accept RI driver's licenses, which do not protect us per the above law, and risk getting caught with our pants down, or do we turn away a non-negligible portion of our customer base?

Was this by any chance a Bank of America? The banker (some minimum wage kid) there told me that when renewing my IRA. I told him either he takes it as a form of ID, or I take my business elsewhere. The manager came over and and apologized saying that ID was perfectly acceptable, that it was the kid who wouldn't accept it.

I do believe that there is either a law or some regulation that does require them to take any form of state issued ID, whether it be passport, DL, LTC, military ID, etc.

ETA: I've also had a liquor store not accept my Drivers' License because it is still printed in the vertical (under 21) format, but they did accept my LTC as a valid ID.

Last edited:
This is something I've been carefully trying out for years. Some places don't flinch while others totally flip out. However I have not tried it at a bank. Some libtard teller might push the panic alarm thinking it was a stickup note. But given the plethora of responses here, I just may try it the next time I'm asked.

Anyway...

(Just after 9/11) I was going on a lake cruise and there was this huge sign "Must have 2 forms of identification to board" or something like that. My immediate thought was "A terrorist hijacking a boat? On a lake?" *rolleyes*

So I walk up to the $6/hr security guard/janitor and present my NH Pistol Permit and my MA LTC-A. He looked at me sideways. And I mean his head was horizontal to the ground with this priceless WTF look, handed them back, and waved me to on board.

My LTC (like yours) says Commonwealth of Massachusetts across the top but also says, further down:

Issuing City/Town: XXXXXX

Does this mean it's a state issued ID or Town issued ID?

I can see where someone might wonder.

Well, not to pick nits, but . . . [wink]

- The old LTCs were actually issued by the PD, typed up by them and handed out.

- The new LTCs/FIDs are actually printed by the state, mailed to the PD for issuance.

So, someone in the know, could make the case that the old LTC/FID was town issued whereas the new ones are state issued. But only a MA gun law-knowledgeable person would be aware of that distinction . . . and we know how few people really are knowledgeable about MA gun laws. [thinking]

She was there to sell you something?

I would've been tempted to say, "Frankly, I'm a bit insulted by your response. Before I buy your product, I'd think I'd like to see how your competitors react to my second form of ID. Good day to you Madam."

+1

And, I have used my LTC as ID. I've never had a problem with someone refusing to accept it, but there were a couple confused looks. [laugh]

The wallet I have now makes it a PITA to take my DL out so when they ask me to take it out of the wallet I hand them my LTC. I've also done this with the cops (I called them) several times.

I've never had a problem. In fact, the cops always give me a big belly laugh because I'm usually calling them over suspicious vehicles etc. The last one who was here said: "Well if they're casing your house, they're gonna get a nasty surprise!"

I used my LTC once or twice when I go to focus groups and have to present photo ID.
AT work, when you are filling a narcotic prescription, I need to see a photo ID. The computer really only offers the ID to be a drivers license, a photo ID issued by a state RMV, military ID, or a passport.
However, in the last 2 weeks, I've had two [STRIKE]messed up[/STRIKE] unusual photo IDs come to me. One was a woman with an ID from the Consular of Guatamala...it seemed to be some sort of small passport to them since the bottom of the card said 'passport'.
I also had a guy with a card that granted him permission to work in the USA until August of 2010. I'm guessing it's a green card though it wasn't green and it had his photo on it along with DOB.
I took both forms but had to lie to the computer, since they technically weren't any of the 'accepted' forms of ID.
Before I got my LTC I probably wouldn't have accepted one as a form of ID, but now I would argue that it should be accepted since it gives my DOB and address, and my photo and has a unique identfying number. That unique ID number, to me, is what signifies that I can take it as a form of ID.

It is true of some, but not all, Registry issued IDs; I'm pretty sure passports are not included.
You apparently didn't read my post, or the law to which it links - passports are specifically included.

I used my LTC once or twice when I go to focus groups and have to present photo ID.
AT work, when you are filling a narcotic prescription, I need to see a photo ID. The computer really only offers the ID to be a drivers license, a photo ID issued by a state RMV, military ID, or a passport.
However, in the last 2 weeks, I've had two [STRIKE]messed up[/STRIKE] unusual photo IDs come to me. One was a woman with an ID from the Consular of Guatamala...it seemed to be some sort of small passport to them since the bottom of the card said 'passport'.
I also had a guy with a card that granted him permission to work in the USA until August of 2010. I'm guessing it's a green card though it wasn't green and it had his photo on it along with DOB.
I took both forms but had to lie to the computer, since they technically weren't any of the 'accepted' forms of ID.
Before I got my LTC I probably wouldn't have accepted one as a form of ID, but now I would argue that it should be accepted since it gives my DOB and address, and my photo and has a unique identfying number. That unique ID number, to me, is what signifies that I can take it as a form of ID.

Green Cards are not Green, they are pink...I had one for 12 years, now I have a blue passport [grin]

Whenever I am asked for ID-in any case- I always reach for the LTC. I make no bones about it and haven't gotten any crap either. The minute I do, there will be a discussion.

I always use my LTC as an alternate ID - it's a state issues picture ID.

OK, and it does f-with the anti's a little and that makes it more fun [laugh]

I was carded once at walmart for something, and i couldn't find my license, so I asked the cashier if my ltc would do.
She then in her loudest voice said, "Oh you can have whatever you want, hey Linda, don't screw with this one, she has guns" I was mortified, and have nevder shown anyone my ltc other than shop owners again..

I'd have called the manager over and ripped Ms Smartmouth a new one. Is it their store police to publicly announce customers who are carrying large amounts of cash? Then why guns? As for the original banker, I find that, as we've observed about police and gun shop employees, people tend to make up policies on the spot to suit their personal preferences. I'd ask to see the bank's list of acceptable ID so that I don't waste both our times. Since I almost certainly will not see something to the effect of "FID/LTC not accepted", but will see "Other state-issued identification", I'd point out that the bank does in fact accept my ID, but I'm concerned about doing business with someone who doesn't know their own policies.

Ken

I'd have called the manager over and ripped Ms Smartmouth a new one. Is it their store police to publicly announce customers who are carrying large amounts of cash? Then why guns? As for the original banker, I find that, as we've observed about police and gun shop employees, people tend to make up policies on the spot to suit their personal preferences. I'd ask to see the bank's list of acceptable ID so that I don't waste both our times. Since I almost certainly will not see something to the effect of "FID/LTC not accepted", but will see "Other state-issued identification", I'd point out that the bank does in fact accept my ID, but I'm concerned about doing business with someone who doesn't know their own policies.

Ken

Actually, I'd have ripped first and then complained to the manager - to both the cashier's supervisor and then the store manager. That really would have P'd me off.

Sprint accepts an LTC as a primary form of ID (State Concealed Weapon License is named specifically on the acceptable ID list). When I need an ID from somebody at the store I always list off acceptable forms of ID, and save LTC as the last on the list. It's a really good way to find people that I can talk about guns with while at work.

came back and told me it "wasn't state id"

Ridiculous reponse when the bank asked for second form of id (ABCC can be idiosts in the regs).

The LTC has photo and fingerprint (even if illegible on the new ones).

My story:

Recently I was travelling. Having passed security to the gates, I was online to board when a uniform showed up to double-check IDs (What were they checking? Did they fear that the TSA guys where I had to take off my shoes had been infiltrated by the enemy?).

I was annoyed and willing to see how much of a dufus I was dealing with, so I grabbed my LTC. No comment, he moved to the next person on line.

I always use my LTC as an alternate ID - it's a state issues picture ID.

OK, and it does f-with the anti's a little and that makes it more fun [laugh]

The same reason I use mine whenever possible. [laugh] Sometimes it lets you meet other gun people without having to give the secret NES sign...[wink]

I found it interesting that the cops wopiuld not accept my passport for my LTC application even though it's proof of citizenship. They insisted on a birth certificate, which is 1000 times easier to spoof with someone else's name.

She was there to sell you something?

I would've been tempted to say, "Frankly, I'm a bit insulted by your response. Before I buy your product, I'd think I'd like to see how your competitors react to my second form of ID. Good day to you Madam."

Yep.

I got into this arguement with a bimbo at Sovereign (then Shawmut).
She wouldn't take my LTC as a second ID, but would take a CC. "so, I could have stolen a wallet, had a phony ID in the name of the CC and that would be suitable? B ut, I can buy a handgun at any licensed dealer in the Commonwealth with this card and you won't cash my check?"

"Yes sir, I need to see a CC, that is not valid for identification"

I left.

I once presented my real estate license at a gun shop by accident and got the funniest look
A member of my family wears reading glasses and cannot tell what's on a sheet of paper without them. She was stopped for a minor traffic violation and handed the officer her driver's license and an FFL instead of the registration.

I've had my driver's license not accepted because the address on the card is no longer current. The MA RMV does not issue address change labels anymore. WTF.

Back
Top Bottom