Second form of Identification

I needed a second form of identification for something today and without thinking put down my LTC. The response was "we do not accept those as a second form of identification, and that actually makes me a little nervous". This was the response from a banker that came to my office to sell me something. Not to mention the bank branch that this person manages has been robbed twice in the last five years in the glass house community of danvers. My response was every law abiding citizen should consider being armed after all your branch has been robbed twice in the past five years. There was no further comment, but I did need to show another form of identification.

I'd have told him he makes me very nervous, so I'll no longer be doing business with him.

It was a woman and other than her ignorance to guns she was quite pleasant. If it were a guy with that dorky comment I may have reacted differently.

She was there to sell you something?

I would've been tempted to say, "Frankly, I'm a bit insulted by your response. Before I buy your product, I'd think I'd like to see how your competitors react to my second form of ID. Good day to you Madam."

I was carded once at walmart for something, and i couldn't find my license, so I asked the cashier if my ltc would do.
She then in her loudest voice said, "Oh you can have whatever you want, hey Linda, don't screw with this one, she has guns" I was mortified, and have nevder shown anyone my ltc other than shop owners again..

I was carded once at walmart for something, and i couldn't find my license, so I asked the cashier if my ltc would do.
She then in her loudest voice said, "Oh you can have whatever you want, hey Linda, don't screw with this one, she has guns" I was mortified, and have nevder shown anyone my ltc other than shop owners again..

I would have filed a complaint with the store manager. There's no reason for that.

I needed a second form of identification for something today and without thinking put down my LTC. The response was "we do not accept those as a second form of identification, and that actually makes me a little nervous". This was the response from a banker that came to my office to sell me something. Not to mention the bank branch that this person manages has been robbed twice in the last five years in the glass house community of danvers. My response was every law abiding citizen should consider being armed after all your branch has been robbed twice in the past five years. There was no further comment, but I did need to show another form of identification.

Since when is an LTC not a "State Issued ID" (that is usually listed as acceptable ID by banks)?

A few years ago I opened an account at a small town bank (I hate the giants like BofA) and found my driver's license had expired. They required photo ID so I presented my LTC. She blinked and examined it closely, then accepted it and continued. A couple of years later she commented I had been her first (LTC presenter).

when i need to show two id's its tricky. i'm disabled and don't have a drvers license, i use my ltc and handicap placard.. both are state issued photo id, placard doesn't have dob, so i need my passport sometimes. when renewing my ltc i asked the officer if my ltc could be used as id, his answer was yes, but suggested getting the rmv id instead

Last edited:
Don't ever give them a credit card.

I've been through this with BOA, which I don't use by choice but used to get checks issued through them so I'd go cash them in person to make sure they were paid promptly. Anyways, they were clearly fishing for a "second ID" that they could make a charge back on. LTC--no good, health insurance card w/ photo--no good, library card--laughter, corporate ID--nope, Corp issued Amex--no good either because it's co-signed by corp (hmm...). They kept asking for a credit card and I asked if they were going to write down the number and the clerk said, 'of course'. Then they could charge me the check amount if they later felt the check--their own mind you--was somehow not valid or not quite ready to be paid at this time. I returned with my passport and walked out with my money: end of story.

They view it as "security" and I view it as a free loan.

Since when is an LTC not a "State Issued ID" (that is usually listed as acceptable ID by banks)?

I tried to use my LTC as a form of ID at a restaurant in cambridge when ordering a beer (before you start, I was NOT carrying), the waitress looked at it for like 5 minutes, we had the "State ID" argument, she said hold on and got the manager who came back and told me it "wasn't state id" and I was ready to get up and walk out but the restaurant is my GF's favorite so I sucked it up. I will do it again next time, and see what they say, might be time to have a chat with the owner....

Speaking of BoA - when I used to have an account there my LTC was the only ID I had with my current address. They looked at me kind of funny, but I explained that it was a state issued ID and that I had to jump through a hell of a lot more hoops to get it.

They did accept it eventually.

Just for the record, the main reason I'd say that is because in life, the opportunity to indignantly say "Good day to you Madam" happens so infrequently, that I'm going to take advantage of every possible chance I can to say it.

Never in my life have I even thought of wanting to say "Good day to you Madam"--- until now. The seed has been planted. Now I really want to say that. I need to wear a hat to tip at the same time.

Funny, I have shown my FL permit at my bank and not even a blink of the eye from the lady. This was a few years ago.

They all know me by name and sight now. The branch managers (of a few branches) all know I'm a gun owner and it's no big deal. In fact I had an in-depth discussion with two of them wrt the string of bank robberies that occurred recently.

When I sat for the Microsoft Certified Professional exam a number of years ago, I purposely used my LTC for ID. Not a peep from the person administering the exams.

I tried to use my LTC as a form of ID at a restaurant in cambridge when ordering a beer (before you start, I was NOT carrying), the waitress looked at it for like 5 minutes, we had the "State ID" argument, she said hold on and got the manager who came back and told me it "wasn't state id" and I was ready to get up and walk out but the restaurant is my GF's favorite so I sucked it up.
There is actually a rationale for this in the case of alcohol sale. For certain forms of ID *ONLY*, the fact that it is a reasonable forgery, or that the date is in fact incorrect, is a defense that can be used by the vendor (this is true of Drivers Licenses, Registry issued IDs and possibly passports). For all other ID's nothing, even proof that the date shown on the govt issued ID incorrectly shows legal age, is a defense.

I think that would be hilarious if it happened to me. Unfortunately I am only extremely rarely asked to show ID for anything since I don't carry checks and refuse to show ID to the few dipwads that ask for it for credit card purchases, so I'm unlikely to get a chance like that. Oh, and I can't remember the last time I was carded for alcohol.

I never use my LTC for ID for anything other than gun stuff, but if I needed a 2nd I'd use it in a heartbeat- and if the person balked at that, I'd be like "sorry, guess we're not doing business, then. "

-Mike

There is actually a rationale for this in the case of alcohol sale. For certain forms of ID *ONLY*, the fact that it is a reasonable forgery, or that the date is in fact incorrect, is a defense that can be used by the vendor (this is true of Drivers Licenses, Registry issued IDs and possibly passports). For all other ID's nothing, even proof that the date shown on the govt issued ID incorrectly shows legal age, is a defense.

Anything to back that up? Just out of curiousity, I'm not trying to be a D-bag. I'm just curious what the differences are between state issued ID and state issued ID.

Re: the restaurant, A LTC is state issued ID that gives my DOB. Beyond that, I don't give a shit what they think is acceptable. If they dont want to accept it, they arent going to be getting my money, unless the little lady starts bitchin that they have the best food yada yada...

Anything to back that up? Just out of curiousity, I'm not trying to be a D-bag. I'm just curious what the differences are between state issued ID and state issued ID.

As a matter of fact, yes, there is something to back that up. The difference is codified in MGL Chapter 138 Section 34b http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/138-34b.htm

...Any licensee, or agent or employee thereof, under this chapter who reasonably relies on such a liquor purchase identification card or motor vehicle license issued pursuant to section eight of chapter ninety, or on a valid passport issued by the United States government, or by the government, recognized by the United States government, of a foreign country, or a valid United States issued military identification card, for proof of a person’s identity and age shall not suffer any modification, suspension, revocation or cancellation of such license, nor shall he suffer any criminal liability, for delivering or selling alcohol or alcoholic beverages to a person under twenty-one years of age. Any licensee, or agent or employee thereof, under this chapter, who reasonably relies on such a liquor purchase identification card or motor vehicle license issued pursuant to said section eight, for proof of a person’s identity and age shall be presumed to have exercised due care in making such delivery or sale of alcohol or alcoholic beverages to a person under twenty-one years of age. Such presumption shall be rebuttable; provided, however, that nothing contained herein shall affect the applicability of section sixty-nine....

The corollary to this section is that a server who relies on ANY form of ID not on that list may not effectively use "it was a forged ID", "it belonged to someone who looked like the person using it", "the age was wrong", etc. to beat the charge of serving an underaged person. The person to blame is the state for establishing this difference, not a business owner who is trying to keep his license. If I owned a business I would be reluctant to risk my license on any unprotected form of ID, and I certainly would not allow minimum wage people working for me to make that call and risk the license every time they accept a non-listed form of ID.

Last edited:

It is true of some, but not all, Registry issued IDs; I'm pretty sure passports are not included.

Re: the restaurant, A LTC is state issued ID that gives my DOB. Beyond that, I don't give a shit what they think is acceptable. If they dont want to accept it, they arent going to be getting my money, unless the little lady starts bitchin that they have the best food yada yada...

How about ABCC ? Do you give a shit what they think is acceptable? [smile]

Acceptable Forms of Identification

To have a defense to the charge of delivering or selling alcoholic beverages to an underage person, a licensee must reasonably rely on one of five types of identification:

(1) Massachusetts driver's license,
(2) Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles liquor identification card,
(3) Passport issued by the United States or a country recognized by the United States,
(4) Valid military identification card.
(5) Passport Card

Identification must be checked on the day of service, even if the licensee has checked an individual's identification on previous occasions.

Your LTC is not on the list!

And for a restaurant, choice between losing you as a customer or losing their liquor license is usually an easy one...[grin]

Probably for the same reason that a lot of bars won't accept a state issued ID card (not a license but similar, often used by those who have medical conditions who cannot drive) or a US passport:

They don't have to take it - it's their choice.

Despite the laws quoted above the establishment has the final say in what form(s) of ID they will accept.

Showed my CHL to TSA at Denver before boarding. TSA drone asks if I am carrying.

Moron.

Other than that, no issue.

I never use my LTC for ID for anything other than gun stuff, but if I needed a 2nd I'd use it in a heartbeat- and if the person balked at that, I'd be like "sorry, guess we're not doing business, then. "

-Mike

yup, same here

i'd only present my LTC for gun stuff or as a joke to people who know me.

i don't want to put myself in a pickle with some gun fearing wussy. [laugh]

i keep my LTC hidden behind a flap in my wallet.

i make sure i have an alternate form of "acceptable" ID when i go to appointments (i.e. for my son, anything with RMV, child care, doctors appointments) - it helps to ask or read "what to bring"

Back
Top Bottom