• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seriously, what's wrong with .40s?

It all boils down to a very simple statement:

Pick the biggest caliber you can consistently and accurately makes hits on the target.

Why should biggest caliber make such a difference? There are a lot of other factors into that equation...I can consistently paint 10 rings with a raging bull. Does that mean I should carry it instead of a Glock or Kimber?

I bought a 40 because the cops were leaving thousands of rounds of brass on the range. Figured if cheap surplus 9mm ran out the buckets of 40 brass would eventually become the cheaper stuff to reload. (try finding some cheap 6.5 x 55 swede) As a bonus the Beretta 96 magazines fit the model 92. I have a few politically correct 10 rounders for the 96 that will hold 12 9mms. If more than 10 rounders ever became completely taboo I'd have been able to shove 12 rounds into my model 92...who counts rounds going in after all? Fill em til full, shoot em til empty!

What really makes me angry is finding a 10mm. I've been looking for a non Glock/non 1911 10mm that doesn't require a mortgage and can't find one.

I bought a 40 because the cops were leaving thousands of rounds of brass on the range. Figured if cheap surplus 9mm ran out the buckets of 40 brass would eventually become the cheaper stuff to reload. (try finding some cheap 6.5 x 55 swede) As a bonus the Beretta 96 magazines fit the model 92. I have a few politically correct 10 rounders for the 96 that will hold 12 9mms. If more than 10 rounders ever became completely taboo I'd have been able to shove 12 rounds into my model 92...who counts rounds going in after all? Fill em til full, shoot em til empty!

What really makes me angry is finding a 10mm. I've been looking for a non Glock/non 1911 10mm that doesn't require a mortgage and can't find one.

Does a Smith Model 610 count?

The only down side of the all the .40 hate is that I find so many new shooters that simply can not handle a .45 turn to a 9mm without at consideration of anything else.

[rofl]

Are we on the same planet? How often does that really happen, Chris?

I've lost track of the chuckleheads trying to goad their friends into buying .40 S+W as a first handgun, I'll just leave it at that. Hell, we see the same thing on here every week when some guys like "omgwtfgottabuyaforty!!!" "Oh but that's not a forty, it just won't do!!!!" [laugh]

It's not the number 1 caliber on consignment racks everywhere by coincidence.

I would say that ",40 hate" is not anywhere nearly as popular as ".40 worship". Hell, the average gun shop commando goes to a church every weekend where instead of holy water there are buckets filled with .40 S+W cartridges for the parishoners, and the church bulletin is nothing but adds with a pricelist of local deals on handguns chambered in .40 S+W. The bible in use features pics of DEA and FBI agents holding different guns chambered in .40 S+W.

The local church even had Lee Paige as a guest speaker!!!!!!!

FWIW I don't per se hate the .40, (I used to own 5 of them. ) but the fanboism behind it gets nauseating. It's just another cartridge, for crying out loud. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a perfectly fine round. Then again so is the 9mm. I loved my SW 1076 and really regret selling it. I also have three 45s, one of which I carry quite a bit. But my only subcompact at the moment is an XD40. I'm perfectly comfortable with it's ability to stop a threat.

The caliber wars are just stupid. Any caliber .380 auto or higher is available in good defensive ammo that will stop most people with 2 rounds. For every story about cops who shot someone 17 times with their 9mm and they didn't go down there are 1000 times that they killed someone with two shots with that same gun and ammo. Carry/buy what you want, not what you think will impress someone else.

[rofl]

Are we on the same planet? How often does that really happen, Chris?

I've had a bunch of people over the years pick up the 1911, find out it does not fit her (mostly women) hand and then the 'significant other' will come back with "Well, lets try the 9, those 40's are junk."

I hate it because I almost always have to answer the "is 40 that bad?" from another person right after. When you are trying to put as many different guns into people's hands to allow them to feel the differences, it just sucks to have to deal with the BS.

Just a sore spot for me.

I used to pull out a Star Firestar in .40 and then a Sig 239. Let the student shoot both. The Star has a horrible geometry and most shooters really feel the recoil. Shoot the Sig after and everyone is amazed that it is the same caliber. I did this to drive home the point that the gun matters and you won't know how it feels for you unless you get a chance to shoot it. The same round will feel different in different guns.

Back
Top Bottom