Shooting Range Etiquette ?

SteelShooter

NES Member
I've searched around and didn't find anything specific to my question so here goes. I went to Bobs in Salisbury today, my very first time at a range and very first time shooting (other than at safety class). They had a couple of lanes down and there were a few people there, so I jumped in a open lane. The guy in the lane to my left is shooting and his brass is flying over the barrier and landing on my tray, head, pistol everywhere. So not knowing if it's ok to ask him to move back a little or adjust something, and not having any open lanes, I just kind of waited until he was done shooting and then shot while he reloaded. What would be the proper way to handle this situation?

I just make sure my hat and safety glasses are on, button my top shirt button, and let the brass rain down. You might gather a handful of brass off your tray, peek around the corner during a break and ask he he wants them back to reload?

When the next guy over at MFL is firing full-auto, 12g slugs or black powder, my groups open up some, I'll admit.

I shoot at Bobs and the side barriers are a bit low. So it's tought to blame the shooter. It depends on the gun and the angle it ejects the cartridge whether or not it goes over the barrier. I have experieced the same thing there, but I don't think asking someone to adjust something is going to solve anything. Instead, I would just step back and wait for the person to unload the magazine and shoot while they reload, as you said.

Also, you could pick the lane to the left of the shooter and avoid the problem all together (assuming they don't have a lefty gun).

I have learned to ask for the far left lane if open. Not much you can do with flying brass. Personally I just adjust position. Learned that after some hot brass ruined a $90 patriots hoodie.. [frown]

When you say "pistol everywhere" was he pointing it in a clearly unsafe manor?

Flying brass is a part of being on a crowded range.

If there are open spots just move. If not shoot your mag when the other guy is reloading.

I think he meant the ejected brass was hitting his pistol.

I agree with the other folks- it was handled well; there isn't really anything you can say. It's a range issue.

The only time I've seen it where the shooter could really do much to prevent it is with bolt action rifles. Mine kick the shells out with proportional force to how I work the bolt...

Next time move to his left and rain some on him. [wink]In all seriousness there isn't much you can do other than wait your turn. If you find yourself flip side of this coin, i.e.: you notice somebody waiting for you to finish your mag, remember to give them time to finish theirs before you rain brass in their direction again. A little courtesy goes a long way, and sometimes it even spreads.[smile]

Yup.

I'm usually the turd in the punchbowl when I go to the range. It's not from flying brass though.

Quit bringing cannons to pistol ranges and people will quit looking at you like that.[wink]

Think of it as an opportunity to practice shooting under some stress and distraction. Or just do what you did.

Iv'e had it happen at Bob's a few times but most of the time I go to Bob's it's pretty empty.

What were you shooting? Did you buy something yet or just rent?

Flying brass at a shooting range should not be unexpected. Be prepared. With my hat, glasses and long-sleeved shirt, the raining brass just adds to the ambience.

It may seem like your space is being intruded upon, but it goes with the territory. Nothing personal, I'm sure. [grin]

I kind of like it when that happens to me, is that weird?[rofl]

Ever had a piece of rifle brass land in between your skin and the collar of your shirt ? The brass fuses itself to your skin and it's not fun.it does test your safety skills if you can take the time to put your rifle down before running around screaming like a little baby.[smile]

Happened in the army with 5.56 from a M16 and 7.62 from an M60

Happened most recently with a 30-06 from my Garand that my buddy was firing.

new_gangsta_trend_0902orgB.jpg

Throw some back at him [laugh] No... really... be careful about hot brass. I've melted skin at bunch of times. The tight stalls at the S&W performance center used to bounce my 1911s 45 shells at me regularly.

p.s. that isn't me... just a stock google images photo... very poor trigger etiquette...

Last edited:
No he was safe, just the casings were going everywhere.

What were you shooting? Did you buy something yet or just rent?
I was shooting a Sig Mosquito I had just purchased at Northshore. Ran 300 rounds through it without a single issue. Also found out I shoot 100% better with left eye, right hand - 8X's out of 10 at 25'!

It was a little annoying, but I wasn't sure if this was the norm or what, it seems I handled it correctly since there was no where else to move to. After he left, within 5 minutes I had the whole place to myself.

I did experience the hot shell in the shirt though [laugh] fortunately , it was my own!
Thanks for all the info.

No he was safe, just the casings were going everywhere.

I was shooting a Sig Mosquito I had just purchased at Northshore. Ran 300 rounds through it without a single issue. Also found out I shoot 100% better with left eye, right hand - 8X's out of 10 at 25'!

It was a little annoying, but I wasn't sure if this was the norm or what, it seems I handled it correctly since there was no where else to move to. After he left, within 5 minutes I had the whole place to myself.

I did experience the hot shell in the shirt though [laugh] fortunately , it was my own!
Thanks for all the info.

I've done that at least once with my Mosquito. It just doesn't throw the shells far enough. They tend to come straight back.

If you want a clean sport where you don't have to get your hands dirty, take up croquet like these fine ladies:

800px-Winslow_Homer_001.jpg

Wait until you come to a pumpkin shoot.

You will think you are in the middle of a popcorn popper with all the brass flying around.

I thought I picked a good spot to the far left, but to the right of EC. Brass was not a problem obviously with the .500, the powder coming out of the thermonuclear loads was. I was covered in it at the end of the day. But it was fun![smile]

I kinda like the noise and brass. Makes me learn to shoot under adverse conditions.

Now when Eddie Coyle is blasting away I step away a bit. [smile]

Ever had a piece of rifle brass land in between your skin and the collar of your shirt ? The brass fuses itself to your skin and it's not fun.it does test your safety skills if you can take the time to put your rifle down before running around screaming like a little baby.[smile]

Happened in the army with 5.56 from a M16 and 7.62 from an M60

Happened most recently with a 30-06 from my Garand that my buddy was firing.

YES!! My SKS spit a 7.62x39 off the plastic and it landed exactly as you described. I managed to get the safety on, set the rifle on the table, jump up from the bench, and whip my jacket off in one quick motion, hahaha. It was in the winter so the heat was kind of a good thing. [wink]

"a couple of lanes down" at Bob's????? NO WAY!!! I have NEVER seen Bob's operating at 100%. And its cold inside too. I have not been back since I joined a private club. I know there is new management and ownership, but I guess things are still the same at Bob's.

You seeemed to handle your situation well, though.

Chris

as odd asit sounds I think it adds to and is part of the whole experience. You just need to go prepared, right glasses, hat, shirt, etc and expect that it willhappen at that type of range..

I think you should view it as part of the experience, like eating a lobster... You never eat a lobster without making mess and smelling fishy.

If it is a problem, then find a different place or time to shoot when it is not busy..

as odd as it sounds I think it adds to and is part of the whole experience. You just need to go prepared, right glasses, hat, shirt, etc and expect that it will happen at that type of range..

If it is a problem, then find a different place or time to shoot when it is not busy..

It wasn't a problem just an annoyance, I just wasn't sure if it was something I should address. I did have a little gun envy though, I'm not sure what he was shooting, but I could have taken the casings home and planted tomatoes in them.

It wasn't a problem just an annoyance, I just wasn't sure if it was something I should address. .

It really is the nature of that kind of venue. The more lanes and people they can pack in, the more money they generate.

And although generalizing (IMO), any sort of pay as you go kind of range (especially anywhere that rents guns) tends to cater to people that are not super knowledgable about firearms in general, and unfortunately, sometimes safety is an issue.

The positives of course are that you don't have to spend $x/ year and jump through secret swearing in ceremonies to become a member. It is also a great place to try out firearms that you are interested in.

Back
Top Bottom