Shooting reported outside Empire State Building

0923inquest15_t653.jpg

"And today, NYC police conducted an 'active shooter' training exercise for the benefit of thousands of visitors to the Empire State Building in order to test their readiness and response to such a scenario. While disappointed to hear that nine people failed the exercise, Mayor Bloomberg is very proud that most people immediately jumped to the ground, put their hands behinds their heads, and waited quietly for further instructions once the police stopped shooting at them. Film at 11."

Last edited:

People just continue on with their day like nothing happened. Wonder why I can't stand most people... heartless POS.

- - - Updated - - -

I am actually surprised a pet store wasn't shot up in the hail of bullets.

That'll come later when the media changes the story and pretends that they had it all right to begin with. [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/nyregion/empire-state-building-shooting.html?_r=1

The two officers and Mr. Johnson were about eight feet apart.

One law enforcement official said that based on the preliminary investigation, it appears that most or all of the bystanders were struck by one of the 16 police bullets – or fragments or ricochets from those rounds – that were fired by the two officers who confronted Mr. Johnson.

Detectives believe that Mr. Johnson had fired five shots at Mr. Ercolino and may have fired one shot at the police officers, the official said. There were two bullets left in the eight-round magazine of his gun so only one shot – the one apparently fired at the officers -- could have possibly hit one of the nine bystanders, the official said.

The cops hit most or all of the bystanders.

now will they change the headlines?

Headlines I see from CNN and NBC are, respectively,
"10 shot ... two people dead.... eight people wounded in the firefight"
"2 dead, 9 hurt..... all who were wounded were sprayed by police bullets, sources say"

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...d-in-shooting-near-empire-state-building?lite

Those hit with police bullets likely suffered ricochet and graze wounds, mostly to the lower extremeties, said Paul Browne, an NYPD spokesman, told NBC News later Friday.

Bah! tis only a flesh wound!

Last edited:
I am easily irritated, but...why is a mayor of one city even commenting on what another city chooses to do? The only thing better is when a mayor attempts to offer advice and create policy on breastfeeding.

Cause Albany is the state capital?

Yes, fair enough. On the state level they were discussing:

Background checks for ammo purchase, limit one firearm purchase per month, all permits must renew every five years, psychiatric patients lose permits, microstamping, limit ammo purchases to 500 per month...

But NYC has always gone its own way since I can remember, as far as enacting their own stricter than NY state "within city limits" regulations about firearms. Now even about food. Anything NY state does is not going to prevent the alleged "85% of firearms coming from Virginia" from flowing into NYC.

Why am I bothering? The man has banned public smoking in the city’s bars and restaurants, forced restaurants and other food vendors to phase out the use of artificial trans fats, pushed a law requiring food service providers to post calorie counts on menus, proposed barring people from using food stamps to purchase soda (failed), pushed to pass a soda tax (failed), banned smoking in most outdoor areas in the city including public parks and beaches, and wants packaged food makers and restaurants to reduce salt by 25%.

He obviously doesn't need NY state and can get his way without concern for stalls in the NYS senate.

Well, it will fall off the front page quickly, since the police shot almost all of the victims. The shooter apparently had a .45, and put three rounds into his target. there was at least one bullet left in the mag, so there are three rounds unaccounted for. Yet 9 people shot...

Wow. I suspected that some of those shot might have been collateral damage from police fire, but I had no idea it was that many. Statistically, society might be better off if we disarmed the police and just armed the public.

I was going to put a [wink] after that, but I'm not sure if I'm serious or not. [sad2]

Nope. Havnt seen any mention of how the other person came to be dead either, only that guy killed boss, cops killed guy and wounded a bunch of bystanders.

what other person? All reports say 2 people dead: The shooter and the guy he shot.

So.... I guess the officer that one-shotted the dog with no collaterals is looking preeeeeety good right now. [wink]

disclaimer: dark humor present in this post. Read with a healthy grip on 1a

I get the humor. It's actually kind of on-target for this joint.

This situation is likely one where poor training contributed to making a horrible situation much worse.

The incidents you're talking about are ones where despicable attitudes made bad situations tragic.

Shooter lived in manhattan. Love to know where he got the gun.

One story was saying he bought it in Florida in 1991. Bloomberg hastened to point out that he wasn't licensed to own it in New York. Clearly, a hardened criminal, and a clear case for gun control.

Soon, the police will need to inspect and transport your belongings when you move. Run your stuff through a backscatter scan, the full treatment.

Ya. And trigger happy cops managed to shoot 8 innocent bystanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should all be fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So.... I guess the officer that one-shotted the dog with no collaterals is looking preeeeeety good right now. [wink]

disclaimer: dark humor present in this post. Read with a healthy grip on 1a

I thought someone yelled "DOG!" and the police just opened fire out of reflex (or the police saw a professional dog walker and their 'training' kicked in.)

Back
Top Bottom