• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shooting/Training and Gun Videos, post them here.

Working through a carbine class with On Target Training at Cheshire County Fish and Game in Keene. I'm just starting to learn the skills needed to run a rifle/carbine effectively, and this is me getting on the gas a little with a 1 thru 5 drill at 10 yards. Did really well with it, until I miscounted shots on the last target and threw the last one in as an afterthought. I'll trim up a couple more in the next few days and add to this.

This drill is working transitions, primary to pistol. Rifle is cleared, so we could work on the mechanics. My pistol shots were a little slow, but I was concentrating on making the hits on a 2" circle. Toward the end, the instructor was a little miffed at the lack of pistol marksmanship, so we put down a group at 3 yards, to show people what they ought to work on.

And just for fun, here's my daughter plinking an 8" steel plate at 25 yards for the first time with her Cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you not using a sling on your rifle? Why are you pulling it muzzle up during pistol transitions?

I do run a sling on my rifle and that's my preferred method. However, we ran several different options for transition techniques, a couple of which were sans sling, so as to show the mechanics in case you found yourself in that spot. On of them was to pull the rifle back and hug it to your body muzzle up. I much prefer to drop it on the sling, but other tools are good to have in the toolbox.

Faster transition to move your off hand to the magwell and let the rifle fall muzzle down while simultaneously drawing your pistol with your strong hand. Allows better control of the rifle when not using a sling. Doesn't seem like it would make a difference when your standing and training on a stationary target, but it WILL matter when, like in real life, you're shooting and moving.

It's also more dangerous to run with a possibly live rifle like that (muzzle up, holding barrel shroud) should you fall.

Food for thought.

Truth. I didn't care for that method, and probably will not train like that. The great thing about Seth at On Target is that he gives some options, noting that different shit works for different people, and urges you to find what works and train it. Obviously, sling is the best option, but without one, I will work on the technique you outlined, sounds like it's a good option.

Working on next phase of pistol work with CFG1. Reloads and manipulations. He's already running a pistol clean at 25 yards on B/C steel, so I want to get him more comfortable with the tactical gymnastics and gun-fu. I'm honestly pretty shocked at how fast he learns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-uYk0hhPH7/ Dry-Fire reload drills

https://www.instagram.com/p/-uqBThBPDN/ Live-Fire reload drills

https://www.instagram.com/p/-xuHjvhPJl/ Live-Fire w/ a little problem solving.
Nice! How did you teach him to catch the empty she'll case on his arm like that[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Because perfecta is shitty mc shit, that's why. [laugh] That stuff is so weak, if you breathe the wrong way the gun will jam.

-Mike

But ehrmergerd it jams my Glock which is supposed to be perfection!

I've actually spoken to many people that have zero issues with it, but apparently my pistols have some kind of standards. [rofl] They didn't get them from ME!

Today's Boston Urban Action Shooters USPSA indoor match. I won overall, and I was shooting singlestack, and yes the field was stacked with good shooters in both Limited and Open divisions.
https://practiscore.com/results/15306

I shoot at the Action Matches when MVGC puts them on. That first stage you shot, we had shot a few weeks ago. It confused the hell out of me, I think I forgot to engage a target in the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I set up an evening/night shoot to spend some time in low light and no light for training.

Well, it was all fun and games until my rifle blew up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rifle is (was [crying]) a BCM mid length upper 16" Noveske barrel. BCM BCG. Had 17k+ rounds through it.

Ammo was reloads 64gr tracers, CCI400 primers, WCC once fired brass (by me) and 24.5gr of WC846. I've shot roughly 6200 rounds of this load.

Leading up to "the event" we were shooting rapid doubles at three targets. I mourned the rifle and had a failure to fire, audible click. NOT a squib. Two people standing on either side of me both confirmed there was nothing other than the click. I tap rack and fire. KABOOM!

My personal opinion on this one is my FTF was an indication something else was already broken/cracked causing the FTF and the follow up shot fired in battery, but the round was not properly chambered and/or supported. The bolt is missing 2-3 ears. I think either the bolt cracked or the barrel lugs did and the last shot was enough to cause complete failure. Also not helping was the 11F temperature.

I'm admitting it is possible something happened with the round like an overcharge, but I find this unlikely due to the fact the charge used nearly fills the case. Coupled with the long projectile it's nearly impossible to load even two more grains of powder and get the bullet to seat and meet OAL for the cartridge. It's a tight crunch.

I previously chrono'd this load at 2,600fps and no pressure signs and actually loaded higher charges, but chose the lowest charge that had reliable lighting of the tracer. Those higher loads had no pressure signs. You can't double charge 223 with 846. I think if you dipped a case and filled it to the top the most powder you could get in there would be 28gr and then you would absolutely notice and the bullet wouldn't seat to meet OAL for mag loading even if you ignore the powder falling everywhere. I also didn't load these on a progressive, I used my turret. So I hand placed every bullet and such a high charge would have been evident for reasons above.

I suppose it is possible some part of something caused a barrel obstruction. I can't get the round in there out, but I did mark the obstruction from either end using a rod and it's exactly the length of a 64gr tracer head. The head barely went up the barrel 1", bit it's definitely fully in the bore. The tracer ignited during the kaboom so I'm guessing I melted the barrel of the case neck and that's why it's stuck in there. Its possible I had a case neck separation or something prior to the FTF, and that a small piece of brass was enough to cause the round to wedge. Without being able to remove the round there's no way to know for sure.

There no definite answer here for me other than it happened. I hunted for as much of the ammo as I could find and what pieces we could, but with the snow on the ground at the range coupled with it being dark we didn't get all of it. It's possible had I been able to find all the brass I shot something may have presented a clue.

The good news is I didn't suffer a single scratch despite the entire upper basically grenading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom