Shotgun deer season

Also, just because you took a deer 9 out 10 years doesn’t make you a great hunter.

I did not and do not claim to be a "great hunter" I just refuted your claim that great hunters go years without killing deer as incorrect. If I can do what I do, the great ones do some amazing things.

I know of a man in southeast Mass that has over a dozen 150 class bucks shot with a bow over the last decade or so here in Mass. That includes three 170+ inch giants including the current and previous state nontypical bow records. That my friend is greatness. I am average and as an average hunter I enjoy success just about every year.

I will show you a couple of "great hunters"

Ist is the guy I mentioned above

2004 archery buck, Typical archery state record at the time but that record was broken in 2006.
2004Staterecordtypical.jpg

2007 archery buck, current archery non-typical record
2007staterecord.jpg

2008 archery buck 177 inches net non-typical just 2 inches less than his state record from last year
2008177inch.jpg

This is a friend of mine who also achieves amazing results.

2007 archery buck
Matt2007.jpg

1st archery buck 2008
mattGbuck2.jpg

2nd archery buck 2008
mattnon3.jpg

mattnon2.jpg

These guys get it done! I only shoot does and little 6 and 8 pointers... [rofl]

Time in the woods is paramount. I take a lot of ribbing in my non-hunting/shooting circles for not taking many deer. But, I'm lucky if I can get out the two full saturdays of shotgun. Need to be a lot more lucky than good when you can't get out to scout.

This year I've gotten to do some scouting and had a whole day bowhunting already - so I am pumped for tomorrow. Now if it could only start snowing at 2pm....

I think I heard them say snow for Sunday... still no Sunday hunting in Mass.

it maybe has something to do with me having the worst luck in the world, nothing comes easy in my family. i went out to day and busted some brush with the wind in my face. saw some tracks and trails but no dice. some day i will get a deer[thinking].

If you're busting brush, the deer close to you (i.e., within the adjacent 4 counties) heard you moving and hightailed it to NH.

me and my buddy were doing a small drive, we took turns posting and busting. i cant use tree stands because i don't like ladders or heights. i have used ground blinds before and not had much success. the closest i ever got to a deer is when i heard 2 bucks having a fight about 100yrds away from my ground blind.

Last edited:
2 man drives are tough many times. Very easy for the deer to get around one or both of you.

It is all about experience and knowlege gained through that experience Evan. As you learn your properties more and more you learn where the deer may be and where they most likely will go when pressured.

When we do 2 man drives we use a simple one. Both guys spread out as far as they can but still see each other easily. One man stillhunts up about 25-50 yards in front of the other while the other watches. Then the other does the same.. The distance each moves is dictated by how thick the cover is. The thicker it is the shorter each moves ahead of the other. Continue this alternating stillhunting through the piece you want to hunt. A quartering or side wind works best as it encourages the deer to bust out to one side or the other for a clean shot.

Well it isnt as large as the bucks pictured earlier,but my youngest shot his first buck yesterday. A nice three pointer. He was pumped!
He has shot a couple deer (does) while hunting with me and one gun in the past but this is his first year hunting on his own since taking the safety course and getting his FID.
I was one proud Papa.[smile]
All the years of shooting at targets, letting him shoot while hunting with me when he was younger and teaching him patience and hunting skills finally pay off.[grin]

Pics later after I go into town and buy some batteries for the camera.

Well it isnt as large as the bucks pictured earlier,but my youngest shot his first buck yesterday. A nice three pointer. He was pumped!
He has shot a couple deer (does) while hunting with me and one gun in the past but this is his first year hunting on his own since taking the safety course and getting his FID.
I was one proud Papa.[smile]
All the years of shooting at targets, letting him shoot while hunting with me when he was younger and teaching him patience and hunting skills finally pay off.[grin]

Pics later after I go into town and buy some batteries for the camera.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
[party]

I went out Saturday in Westboro. I heard a few shots but the only deer I saw was at the checking station where I parked.

Back
Top Bottom