Sig Mosquito PROBLEMS!!! Need some HELP

I bought my wife a Sig Mosquito, The first time out I found a few problems with the pistol. (I was told to run High Velocity rounds to work the action).

1. Feeding problems. Using CCI 1260 fps rounds it would not feed the 2nd to 10th rnd.
2. Inserting the clip would automatically close the slide.
3. Closing the slide would discharge the gun.

Has anyone else experienced the same problems?

Please let me know any solutions you might have done. I'm going to call Sig later today; I would like get more then one opinion

Personally, I'd just send it back Sig. Especially considering the slide closing causing the gun to discharge. That creates a serious safety issue.

Thanks
I called Sig and they are requesting be sent in.. DUHHH... The guy I talked to was very nice (I guess thats why he has the job). They said it would take about 10 to 12 days to fix it..[frown]

While I was at the range I noticed a guy shooting a Ruger Mark III. Started talking to him about it and who he liked it. He gave me the gun and said here try it your self. I shot 10 rnds in a 2" group from 20ft. I like, I like it alot.

but that's why I don't have it anymore. If you're in driving distance just take it up.

What gun did you replace it with???

Are there any great .22 cal pistols out there worth getting????

Because I have a sinking feeling my wife doesn't even want to keep it, even if they fix the problems.

Is anyone looking for .22 cal Sig. I might have one CHEAP..[wink]

I had actually bought it for my son to learn on

But like most teenagers he was only interested in big dog guns so I just sold it.
It is definitely not a target pistol. The Ruger you described is much more appropriate for that.
Once I got it running it was a fun gun, but my eyes are so bad I don't target shoot anymore

I have a SW22A, cheap and very fun to shoot. Just don't feed it a steady diet of high velocity rounds and make sure you replace the recoil buffer (available free or close to it from S&W Customer Service) every 2000 rounds.

Also a SW317, J-frame airweight .22. Extremely fun, but the high volume of rounds I put through it tends to cause the chamber to foul more often.

I fired (or tried to fire) that sig and had the exact same issue. tried 4 types of ammo and all the same problems that you said occured.

IMO, the gun bites. Serious R&D needs to be done on it.

Sell it and buy a NEW model Walther P22. Still looks like the bigger semi autos and operates like one. (not a MKII or Buckmark)

It is not a target pistol per say... more of a fun plinker. Accurate, but not competition accurate.

I have a New P22 and over a 1000 rounds of 4 different ammos through it. Only about a hand full of FTEs that I can think of. Very rare on my P22 and would blame it on poor ammo.

Keep in mind most .22lr semi-autos are very picky on what ammo they will cycle. Once you find a brand/flavor that works stick with it.

I believe LenS had problems with his as well.

You believe right and it was extremely frustrating to both my Wife and I. I polished the ramp and then sold it. New owner reported no problems. Meanwhile my Wife and I are very happy with her S&W 622!

The Colt Woodsman, Browning Buckmark, and Ruger MKII are all great guns and none are unduly picky about fuctioning with just about any brand of ammo.
The top of the list, though, for fun and functioning has to be the Ruger Single-Six.
I shot a P22 for the first time on Sunday and didn't care for it at all. The gun was just way too light to hold steady and the sight radius was too short for any kind of accuracy. It functioned well enough with CCI ammo but the owner admitted that there were very few brands that would work reliably.

The P22 is strictly a plinker, that feels like a combat semi-auto. Then again, I shoot largely for the fun of it, and could care less about tight little groups. I don't compete, and don't care to in the future. I also have a Mark III as well, and it is a more accurate gun for sure though. To each their own, but I've had no functionality issues with my P22. It does require high velocity ammo though. It seems that the range reports on the P22 vary based on each particular shooter. On the other hand, I've NEVER heard anything but horror stories about the Sig Mosquito.

The P22 is a FTE/FTF machine. Don't touch it!

Sir you are incorrect.

As I said, I have a NEW P22 and have had ZERO problems with it. I also know several other that have NEW P22s and again, no porblems. the FTF & FTE problems are from old model P22 mags. that is why I emphisised NEW in my post.

Older models with the old mag will have issues.

You believe right and it was extremely frustrating to both my Wife and I. I polished the ramp and then sold it. New owner reported no problems. Meanwhile my Wife and I are very happy with her S&W 622!

For anyone with an older P22, there are several tips on the Rimfirecentral forums that fix the OLD model P22s and anyone with a minimal technical skill can do them.

Polishing the feed ramp is easy as pie and seems to work for any/all ftf issues from what i have heard.

But again, mine was perfect right out of the box. I shoot everything from CCI minimags to cheapo thunder turds and the only probelm I ever seem to have is the thunder turds have about 1 dud in 50. Not a gun issue though.

Thanks for the info, matt. I do prefer my guns work well out of the box. Luckily, it's not my problem, it's my dad's problem.

Inserting the clip would automatically close the slide.

I saw that happen during my stint as RO one night at the club. I instructed the owner to box it up and remove it from the line and return it to the dealer. I'm not sure if SIG allows walkin's anymore at the factory. Best to check. It isn't an uncommon problem. I seem to remember a run of bad pistols. Give Customer Service a call. Nothing to lose at this point.

As far as the S&W 41, outstanding firearm but much pricier. My MKIII has been flawless and a decent price.

For the record: The P22 that I had used all the latest mags, with the modifications. It appears that it was strictly a feed-ramp issue, although I never shot it after polishing the ramp . . . I just sold it with full disclosure. The new owner reported to me that he had no further problems.

As of a year ago they did

I saw that happen during my stint as RO one night at the club. I instructed the owner to box it up and remove it from the line and return it to the dealer. I'm not sure if SIG allows walkin's anymore at the factory. Best to check. It isn't an uncommon problem. I seem to remember a run of bad pistols. Give Customer Service a call. Nothing to lose at this point.

As far as the S&W 41, outstanding firearm but much pricier. My MKIII has been flawless and a decent price.

I just turned it into a trip to KTP and Ryleys and dropped the gun off

Back
Top Bottom