• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P226 Locked-Up - Can't Field Strip *UPDATE: Barrel Blew Out!

180 GRAIN FMJ

NES Member
So my Sig P226 9mm is out of service and it happened on the final shot of the day! Slide only locks back about 95% of the way and I have to tap the back of the slide against something hard to bring it back into battery.

I can't field strip it because it the slide won't go far enough back to flip the disassembly lever.

It has about 3000-4000 rounds through it. Could it be the locking block is broken? Any idea of how I can get it apart?

*UPDATE - got it apart and the barrel blew out

Attachments

• IMG_0977 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0977 (Large).jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0978 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0978 (Large).jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0979 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0979 (Large).jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Doubtful without breaking something else. But it’s either hammer it to get it apart yourself or have an armorer do it. Hard to say if it’s just a piece of debris or an already broken internal part. Either way it’s gotta come apart to find and fix.

Friend of mine had to launch a couple rounds through his windshield before with a pistol, Murphy’s Law came to play and a tiny piece of glass got caught in his slide and jammed it up on him like it was welded shut. Took many good whacks with a hammer to grind the glass down enough that it kind of powdered and he was able to clean it all up after that. Even small debris can be a bitch sometimes, but that’s considering it actually is an outside cause and not internal.

Wish I had better info for you but I’m sure it’ll get sorted out, others here much smarter than I am. I’m in the “if it doesn’t work take a hammer to it crowd”.

If the rubber mallet doesn’t seem to have much backing power to it, hold the mallet itself on the spot needed, and use a heavier steel hammer to then hit the mallet for added punch.

You might want to first take the E2 grip off and check that all the little bits (trigger spring, trigger bar, slide lock, etc) all look to be OK and in their proper position.

could be a primer came out of the case and is lodged in there somewhere

If you close the slide and shake it, see if you hear anything rattling around inside

I would start with compressed air and try to get into all the moving parts and hammer. Blast the chamber from all side, and the same for the slide lock and then hit it with some oil and let it sit.

So I sprayed with air and soaked in Rem Oil. I shook it and don't hear anything rattling around. I then put it in a vice and tapped it. It moved about 1mm. It's so close to having the takedown lever clear the slide!

I let it soak and will try again tomorrow. Thanks to those who replied.

UPDATE:

We there's your problem, right there...

Barrel blew out - it literally has a split in it.
WOW! Kind of weird place for a barrel to fail. Assuming you didn’t have a squib load before the last shot, must have been some sort of metallurgical flaw. Sig should make it right for you.

WOW! Kind of weird place for a barrel to fail. Assuming you didn’t have a squib load before the last shot, must have been some sort of metallurgical flaw. Sig should make it right for you.

I'm going with failure. Nothing was out of the ordinary - it just seemed like the slide locked bag on an empty mag. When I went to release the slide is when I noticed it was locked up.

That looks like a squib load/barrel obstruction. 9mm barrels almost never fail like that from anything else, if it was a double charge it would have failed at or just in front of the chamber and you'd almost always have a case head separation or a blown out case and you'd know it.

Gotta be a squib of some sort. Double charge would have blown your magazine to bits and other bad things.

What kind of bullets were you using in the load? Lead, plated or FMJ?

I was using 147 grain lead flat point with 3.7 grains CFE Pistol, col 1.10. I've shot about 1000 rounds of this load with no issues.

Definitely pressure buildup there. You can try calling Sig, but using reloads they won't warranty it. Which I don't blame them. A new barrel is around $200. Be thankful the classic line is robust.

Back
Top Bottom